47 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2013 6:02 PM by GemPrincess Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Platinum Premier "undocumented" features

chazdawg Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I thought it was just as important to express my pleasure with Marriott as I do my displeasure on this site.  In the last week I've been pleasantly surprised by a couple hotels that have gone above and beyond for me as a Platinum Premier.

This past weekend I spent the night in Chicago (Courtyard Magnificient Mile) using a free night certificate from my Marriott Visa.  Upon check in I was informed I was upgraded...wait, that's not even the surprise...additionally I was given a two coupons for 50% off in the restaurant for two people.  Not that I'd necessarily consider eating at the hotel restaurant in a city like Chicago...but 50% off (any meal or room service) is a pretty nice perk.

I just checked in last night to the Renaissance Eden Roc in Miami.  I was given the Platinum welcome gift option when I arrived.  The sheet included the standard food or 500 points...but also included free internet for my entire stay.  As I went to choose that option, the guy at the desk told me that he was giving me that just for being a Premier and to choose something else.

Did someone tell the hotels that they need to recognize Premier above and beyond Platinum or what?  Needless to say...I'm feeling the love, and basking in it...lol.

ChazDawg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Premier "undocumented" features
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear ChazDawg,

I am impressed!  I have also been "pleasantly surprised and actually delighted" by these kinds of things when they occur. Tied to my and your Platinum Premier status makes this all tbe more satisfying.

My sincere hope is that the word is getting out to associates everywhere that loyalty counts and should be recognized!

Thanks for the post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Chaz,

Nice to hear!

That CY in Chicago is close to a very nice FF.  That location is fantastic!

Just across the street is one of the finest places to dine I have been to in the US, Les Nomades!

Keep us informed of other places you recommend.

chazdawg Platinum

And sadly, it's time to complain...about BOTH hotels.

I got my bill when I checked out of the Courtyard this past weekend with a simple restaurant charge.  When I checked my credit card the charge was about $30 higher than it was supposed to be.  I called and asked...the woman at the desk couldn't explain what it was but said she would remove it and send me an updated folio to my email.  Three days have passed...nothing yet.  It can't be parking since you pay that seperate at the kiosk...so I have no idea what it was.  Annoying on many levels...surprise charges and lack of response that was promised by hotel staff...neither are appreciated.

Now back to the Eden Roc...someone working at valet stole two quarters from the cup holder in my rental car.  I was using them for the $1.25 tolls to and from Miami Beach to Miami...so I know for a fact there were 2 left.  I'm blown away by the ignorance of this move...it's $.50...to put your job at risk, and the reputation of the hotel for 2 quarters?  Clearly the money is insignificant...it's merely the principal of the situation.

What a sad fall from grace from both hotels after great initial experiences.

ChazDawg

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Snap. I have had many many problems with gettings points/nights credited and/or the wrong amount/missing plat bonus......It drives me INSANE! I have to check every single stay with a fine tooth comb once I've checked out. My British Airways miles are always posted usually the next day and always correct because its automated. So why can't Marriott? As you say, they have your details in the reservation. Also, when points are missing, why do WE the customer have to fax/email Marriott rewards with a copy of our bill? Why can't they request the hotel supply it if it really is needed. I dont want anyone to lose their jobs but you'd think that a company as large as Marriott would want to streamline their offices and staff which they surely could do if our points were automatically posted, leaving very little ways of an error to occur, thus freeing up MR staff who must get cheesed off having to spend all day putting right members accounts. This has happened again this week. One hotel saying they would get MR to put them on, then no points going on, then calling MR and them saying as it was a hotel promotion the actual property needed to do it, so back to the hotel, no response from emails and eventually the marriottconcierge sorted it for me on here. But this should not be happening. There must be a costing to implement automation of points but surely in the long run it would benefit not only us, the members and the staff allowing them more time to sort out other issues.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

We hear you, that's definitely on our radar - I don't know of any specifics but I'll let you know if I do. I personally can't remember the last time I used a fax machine

use mine at home sometimes

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

me too.  but rarely.  the wife however, will not allow me to get rid of it. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Well, I use the fax machine at work more than I use a computer.    Faxing a copy of my bill to get points posted is a fairly minor inconvenience.  It's the fact that they aren't posted in the first place that I have a problem with.  Once again, having to do somebody else's job for them.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

There are still a few organizations that insist on fax, usually when you are filling out a form and they want a signature and don't have electronic signature implemented yet.  But they are getting to be few and far between.

chazdawg Platinum

And yet again...more bad news.  I hate when everything seems to start well and I throw out the compliments and then the little things at the back end just add up.

After the Eden Roc valet staff robbed me of $.50...oddly enough when I reported it I wasn't offered a $.50 credit...lol...I'm 2+ weeks since I checked out and still have no points or night credit.  So now I have deal with this.  I've ranted about this before.  How freaking hard is it to get this taken care of...clearly my number is in the reservation.  Is it an attempt to save money?  Is the hotel responsible for "purchasing" the points I'm supossed to get and they figure maybe I'll overlook it?  As always, my main issue is that now I have to call the hotel to get them to submit the points...or waste my time faxing in my request, which works about 1/2 the time.

It's the little things...at least for me...that make or break my experiences.

ChazDawg

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

sorry you had problem with your quarters in your car.  i stay at Eden ROc all the time and love the hotel.  i get a fabulous room everytime.  The 1500 restaurant is great as is the poolside  restaurant. i love the boutique feeling you get at this place. 

I love Eden Roc as well.  Have used them post-cruise and they always given me a great rooms.  I love the poolside restaurant as well, and walking along the beach, and can walk for hours.  Loved watching all the families coming and going over the weekend along the beach!

taxman415 Platinum

It seems simple enough with the computing power of today's computers... I have to agree with you on this one...

skmat24 Platinum

That's very nice!  For the most part, I've really appreciated the rewards program from Marriott. I've had high status in two other hotel chain rewards programs and I've found my favorite to be Marriott (even with the inconsistencies in service on occasion).   It's allowed me to do a lot of things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do.

I do have a couple of questions and haven't found any answers on the Marriott web site, might you know the answers (and be willing to do me the favor of a reply?)  I've been Platinum for several years and now notice on my account I'm Platinum Premier.  What's the difference between the two in qualifying?  Also, 2 of my co-workers have received a special membership  "black card" unexpectedly (and to them, mysteriously)  in the mail, would that be a lifetime membership card?  Thank you.

Last year's PP card was black and the lifetime Platinum was a dark gray. If that helps.  Once you get one (PP) you may not get another Lifetime one unless you fail to qualify for PP status on your own.

skmat24 Platinum

Thank you.  That helps clarify it.

mijoh1 Platinum

I actually have both a lifetime and the black PPE card. That brings up another question. When you make PPE status and you already have lifetime Platinum, what happens when when/if the PPE expires? I'm sure you just go back to being plain vanilla lifetime platinum, but do you have to climb the same high mountain of nights to get back to black level as you would if you reverted all the way back to silver elite?

I was platinum for many years when I traveled for work. when I stopped traveling I thought I would lose my status the next year, but I remained platinum for another year or two, then it dropped to Gold and stayed there awhile.

I was getting myself prepared for the fact that it would eventually revert to Silver, when I received the lifetime platinum, as I still was using Marriott for my persoanl travel, and the occasional business trip, but it was not enough to remain platinum. Those few nights a year, pushed me past the 1000 nights.

The black status is something new since my travel days, so I am not certain how that works.

Neat perks. let's hope the training is going as planned and this is the beginning of that showing up!

kayjbee Platinum

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I request a upgrade, but usually I am told that since I am using points I am not entitled for upgrades. I have also been told that there are no upgrades availible, yet the hotel appears empty. I also have been informed about a free breakfast, but I have never seen that either.

Sometimes the front desk is afraid to give or in rare cases told not to give.  Using points and being denied is one of my pet peeves, too.

kayjbee Platinum

So here we are two Platium Premires having the same issues. An issue which according to Marriott we shouldnt have. Obviously, there is a problem. I can understand the frustration of those Gold and Silvers who expect a little love from the company too. I wish Marriott would come out with a policy that mandates that their reward policies will be followed. A guarentee that the best availible room that you are qualified to have at this time offer. Plus whatever other little perk, right now, it appears to be whatever that particular manager feels like at that particular time. Two peopele with the exact same status will have varied experiences. Some of the gifts discribe here, I have never once been offered.

Dear kayjbee

Well you now see what we've been posting about here:  lower price and points determine treatment in some cases, recognition and upgrades are scarce, the whole system seems to be crumbling as we speak (the last part is made up but sounded good when I wrote it )

Were I in charge I'd make sure that my focus was guests, and most importantly loyal guests who help the bottom line, even when staying on points!!!

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

i have not found any downgrade in service. quite the opposite- i get wonderful upgrades all the time. 

davidktyu Platinum

Dear fellow Platinum Premier, another perk is a 20% discount with your card on 'participating' Marriott restaurants....the catch is some hotel like Courtyard may not honor this. I tried in a Courtyard in West Orange, NJ but I received the discount at the Marriott Marques, NYC. Another thing about the Platinum Premier status is that it is not recognized at the Marriott Vacation Club properties like the Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando, I can't even request a late check out at 1:00 pm. Mind you their 'normal' check out time is 10:00 am. Why would a resort start checking out at 10:00 am. It's a bit too early even for a normal travelers, let alone someone on vacation.

sadly true!!

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, to Marriott Rewards, and fairly new  to using Marriott Hotels.   Started about a year ago & have become a Gold.    Was excited about getting Gold Benefits until I started reading Insiders and learned I was still a lowly member.     Must say, to date I have received wonderful welcomes and upgrades at the hotels I've visited.    Will be staying at the Rennaisance in NYC this weekend and hope it continues!

I still am having difficulty figuring out the rollover days.   I thought I would have enough so my stays in 2012 would make me Platinum.   About 15 extra days were wiped off my acct in January!    I've read the posts about how they work, but somehow it still didn't compute.     In the meantime I'll be happy with my lowly gold.

Have gotten many many tips from reading all of your posts -- so wanted to let you know they are appreciated.   btw -- i do hope Marriott reinstates the lounge privileges for weekends in the US..

my best advice would be to call Marriott Rewards on Monday and have them explain your account balance, and the rollover nights process

fitzit Platinum

I too have had a great start to 2012, by this weekend I'll already have 14 nights in. (Pet gripe, I will have paid for 20 room nights, full points but no night credit on those 6 nights of having 2 rooms.)

After feeling I was never getting upgrades I had two properties give me upgrades to suites on multiple rooms. Now that is what I call perks. When I get a suite, YEAH!, when my driver or other staff get suites at the same time, KILLER!

Thanks to the staffs at Courtyard Omaha, DT Market and Savory, Des Moines. I've pulled 5 suite upgrades already this year.

Sadly, I've already been informed by Marriott Alpharetta, that I will not be upgraded this weekend, they claim all their rooms are the same size.

Doh!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Inconsistency from property to property has always been one of my biggest complaints.

Welcome back Mikiegfla (unless you've been here all the time and I did not notice)

superchief1 Platinum

I read a post on Flyertalk that the 20% restaurant discount is no longer a benefit. Is this true? If so, when will Marriott start adding benefits rather than continue to take them away?

lately they have been offering me my platinum gift points, and anything I want from the store.  This has happened across the brands, Marriott, Springhill Suites, Courtyard.  And I can't remember when I have paid for internet.  Thus far, nothing free from the restaurant though.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I haven't paid for internet service in years at Marriotts.

mijoh1 Platinum

In this day and age, I think it's a crime to charge for internet anyway. Who does not use the internet these days? Just put a few bucks onto the room rate and pretend it's free.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Funny how this thread makes it appear that one is conversing with another member ---ckeck out the dates !  Some of these entries are pretty old (posted in 2010).  I have to sort out what is old perk vs. changes in the perks.

unsure why this keep happenning with many posts.

kayjbee Platinum

Problem is, people are people. You can have three guest, each arriving at the same hotel with the same level of status. The persons at the desk has the ability to give all three, three different room types and different perks for all, dependent on their own mood, preferencesand personal attractions. This ability can cause the illusion that certain hotels are bias. Nicely dressed female gets a penthouse; Black family is told no upgrades available, large "Mormon" looking family gets upgraded to two bedroom suite.  These type of examples happen and there is nothing in place, as a standard, that regulates who gets what. I have been in hotels where the parking lot is empty and nobody is in the lobby or restaurant etc.. yet, they tell me no upgrades. I have been told, no upgrades using points, even if upgrade are available. I was once told that changing my room to an upgrade was too hard to accomplish in the system, the lady could not manipulate the program to allow for the upgrade. Its a **** throw and good luck.

I notice a definate change from the way things use to be, to how they are now. I consistently use to get my benefits, I did not need to ask, I did not even need to know as they were offered and explained.  Now its very uneven, with some properties consistently the same as before and others where I feel like I need to be a philadelphia lawyer [apologies to anyone that is] to get my basic benefits.  This last stay at St. Pancras was a perfect example, as I was told that I could only be upgraded in the category I booked.  So there are the regular rooms that they upgrade you to superior [don't ask me the difference as they all look like standard marriott rooms to me], and then there were the beautiful historic rooms and suites that have been renovated that you can book [for more money] and the only way to be eligible for upgrades in that category.  These are also the rooms they choose to show on the website of course, so its a bate and switch.  And as I explained to them, I was on points, and the point system does not differentiate. I did pay the extra GBP 40 for the better room, which they did refund to me, as they said I did not need to pay for the upgrade in my category.

Absolutely mind boggling!  I would have thought it was due to the youth and inexperience of their front desk folks, but they were all checking with the back office on every move, so it is carefully orchestrated. Was also told this is how things are in London, but I have always been upgrade to a suite in Grosvenor House and County Hall. Had I not stayed so frequently in Marriotts in London, I might have though maybe this is how its done in the UK.  After while, I was tired from the long journey, and the speculation was just too much work.  I will just keep this in mind for the next trip.

Actually the frequent travelers I met while in London and on the cruise highly recommended a small, inexpensive chain. They say the rooms are small, but its clean and safe, and can be booked for GBP 29.  At these prices I can stay longer, and just eat all my meals out.  I certainly can avoid all this uncertainity and angst.

almost comical that I paid an upgrade on my points of GBP 40 which is more than this inexpensive hotel charges for a room :=)

the old man would roll over in his grave if he saw what they are doing to his visionary business.

mijoh1 Platinum

Dude, you gotta call the Platinum hotline when that kind of stuff happens. I did and they got on the phone with the hotel manager and cleared it right up.

I usually call right away, but was in the UK and forgot to get an international cell phone.  Was only there 1 night, and had plans with my cousins, so I just moved on to tea, and then the next day to dover.

Marriott is the big loser on this one, as my cousins are in the film business, and there on work. They live on location with film crews. Had they given me the upgrade I am entitled to, they might have gotten some film industry bookings.  My room looked pretty ordinary and boring to them.

mijoh1 Platinum

Does Marriott use bogus guests to randomly test this stuff out at hotels? If not, perhaps they should. Also, those of us who are Platinum and/or PPE's, should have a number to call to complain about this kind of treatment. We've all made this status by staying at Marriott a LOT. We know we are being given a line of **** when we see an empty parking lot and are told that there are no rooms available for upgrade. Also, those of us of color SHOULD NOT TOLERATE biased treatment in ANY shape, form, or fashion. The previous poster made it seem like it was no big deal. Easy to say if it was not happening to you. If you think we don't notice, think again, we do. Marriott should and in fact had better have ZERO TOLERANCE for that stuff.

I believe they do have employees check in randomly to test the hotels policies, but also to gage the employees' customer service skills.

thanx wesleywc

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...