7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2010 9:03 PM by lorirobert RSS

Wonderful time at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes Orlando

lorirobert Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We had a wonderful stay at the JW Marriott in Orlando the week of March 29-April 3.  We did not get a rental car, so we received free internet as a gold member.  We never left the property!  Our son loved the pool and never wanted to get out, except to go and do all the scheduled kids activities! Most were complimentary and a few had only minimal charges of 5 or 10 dollars, but they were for things like making tee shirts that they could keep.  The s'mores and root beer float nights were fun. Cynthia, Samantha and Rory were great with the kids and super nice!  Their manager was Joann and she was great as well.  We made friends with Eduardo the bellman and Calixco outside!  I know some reviews say how expensive the food is, but it is a resort and it wasn't any worse than any other resort or city location.  The food from Quench was so large that we each ordered a lunch one day and ended up spliting one and saving the other for dinner.  We did ask for a refridgerator when we arrived, and they brought one immediately for no charge.  We took a taxi to the Wal Mart  (no kidding) and for $75 bought our breakfast, lunch and dinner, beer, wine and champagne for the week.  You can certainly do it on a budget with kids if you plan ahead.  The sushi bar downstairs was fantastic!  The Ritz had an outdoor movie one night with blankets and tons of snacks, drinks and a popcorn machine.  Super family friendly! We loved it!  The only problem was we couldn't stay another week.  I could go on and on.  One suggestion: Please no smoking at the pool.  There were people smoking in the hot tubs, people smoking pool side, there was one family with their pack 'n play open with their baby in it that smoked all day.  When I asked the employee that was guarding the pool entrance and giving out wrist bands about it, he said they were allowed to smoke outside, so I guess they were within their rights????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
FL, USA
  • Re: Wonderful time at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes Orlando
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

We had a great experience there also last Fall.

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/4309

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings LoriRobert!

With so many positives and photos to share about your recent vacation experience at Marriott's Grand Lakes, it's very discouraging to learn of the hotel's disregard for the lion's share of guests who prefer a smoke-free recreational environment.

Florida has very strict smoke-free statutes.  In fact, one statute calls out 'schools', 'day-care facilities' and 'playgrounds' as smoke-free zones.  Some have tried to extend 'playground' to include a swimming pool deck. Your description is on-point.

Marriott's Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg illustrates how a hotel can implement a smoke-free swimming pool deck very effectively.  But since the "enhancements", I have no idea how to find the post to point to!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lori and NUHusker

The JW Grand Lakes is among several properties where multiple brands stand side-by-side and share amenities.  The timeshare properties are due to open soon and my wife and I are looking forward to an upcoming stay in a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa.  Even though the villas have fully-equipped kitchens, we really enjoy a night out dining.  If we dine at the Ritz-Carlton and bill back to room, do you or anyone familiar with this property know if MR points will be earned?

Given NUHusker's experience with the valet charges not earning points, it would be helpful to know so that I don't set unrealistic expectations.

Thanks!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC -- It's been 6 months, but I'm pretty sure I got points for my wife's spa visit which was billed to our room and also points for a round of golf I played that was also billed to our room. We ate at the JW, but not at the Ritz, although we did eat at the golf course and got points for that also since it was also charged to the room. As for the smoking issue, we did not encounter this problem, but I think I would have brought it to the attention of the front desk or concierge.  "If" smoking was allowed by the pool, I sure don't recall seeing any ashtrays.  I suspect the pool staff just didn't want the confrontation.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/Thirdhandsmoke.jpg

"As for the smoking issue, we did not encounter this problem, but I think I would have brought it to the attention of the front desk or concierge.  "If" smoking was allowed by the pool, I sure don't recall seeing any ashtrays.  I suspect the pool staff just didn't want the confrontation.

NUHusker - Good for you!  Marriott' edict, Marriott Smoke-Free Hotel Policy (paragraph 4) is clear. But, it's the responsibility of the hotel to comply with local statute.  As a Loss Prevention issue, perhaps the pool staff could be trained to escalate, rather than confront?

LoriRobert - Do consider writing Customer.Care@Marriott.com. As a guest and a parent, it is an expectation that Marriott will take steps to provide comfort throughout the property indoors and outdoors in a way that reduces the exposure to harmful carcinogens to you and your child.

The health risks to babies and children due to Third Hand Smoke exposure are well documented.  Hotels potentially risk the same liability as multiunit housing: Third-Hand Smoke ABC News Video (USA) and Study: Third-Hand Smoke Dangers For Babies & Kids CBS News (USA).

lorirobert Platinum

Just an update....I emailed Customer Care regarding the smoking at the pool issue and today we received a phone call directly from the hotel manager at the JW Orlando.  She was very nice and thanked us for all the wonderful things we had to say about the property, but she did reinforce what we were told at the pool- the inside of the property is 100% smoke free, but anywhere outside, including the pool area, smoking is allowed.  So I guess you can't really say 100% smoke-free.  My back yard is still my property even thought it is outside, and if someone were to get hurt on it, I  would be held responsible, right?

lorirobert Platinum

TJC New York-

With the new "improved" format of this site, I wasn't sure if you saw my post of the reply I received when I inquired to Customer Care:

I emailed Customer Care regarding the smoking at the pool issue and today we received a personal phone call directly from the hotel manager at the JW Orlando.  She was very nice and thanked us for all the wonderful things we had to say about the property, but she did reinforce what we were told at the pool- the inside of the property is 100% smoke free, but anywhere outside, including the pool area, smoking is allowed.  So I guess you can't really say 100% smoke-free.  My back yard is still my property even thought it is outside, and if someone were to get hurt on it, I  would be held responsible, right?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...