6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2010 2:36 PM by kahunapremier RSS

Comparing 'FREE' Internet for Gold & Platinum

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/ConfigurablePromotions/MR_High_Speed/MR_oscar_landing_pg_smREV.jpg

With My Profile back and fully functioning and Advanced Search delivering Results, the experience  of enhancements gets pushed aside. Let's move forward and discuss 'FREE' Internet for Gold and Platinum.

View from the Wing published an interesting comparison about a month ago:

"Hilton, of course, makes free internet an option for Gold and Diamond members, but to have it you’re required to give up your upgrade and breakfast."

Give up your upgrade + breakfast at Hilton to get 'FREE' internet?  What's 'FREE' about that???

May 7th is a month away.  Is anyone requesting complimentary internet now?  In order to deliver upon high guest expectations, hotels do have the disgression to extend the complimentary offer in advance of May 7th.  Any experiences worth sharing?

Which brand has the best loyalty program?  VOTE!

• Re: Comparing 'FREE' Internet for Gold & Platinum
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi TJC,

It's really not as bad as giving up both the room upgrade and free breakfast.  Yes, you give up the upgrade (which I don't request anyway, I take the additional points) but if the property has an Executive Lounge, you have access to it where a continental breakfast is served.  If there is no Exec Lounge, Diamond and Gold members receive two daily vouchers for breakfast.

At Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts and Doubletree®, choose from:

• A space-available room upgrade, including breakfast.**
      You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades exclude suites, villas and specialty accommodations. At hotels with Executive Floor lounges, if an Executive Floor room upgrade is available, you will also receive access to the lounge. In addition, you will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for you and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day of your stay.
    • Enjoy complimentary high-speed internet access, each day of your stay.
      At hotels that already offer a choice of a standard or higher-speed connection, you will receive access to the higher-speed connection at no cost. If a hotel does not offer high-speed internet connectivity, simply choose another option.
    • Earn 1,000 Hilton HHonors® bonus points per stay.
      A great way to maximize your points earnings.

** Executive Lounge Access Policy

If you select a space-available room upgrade as your on-property VIP benefit, the following policy will apply effective August 15, 2008, at all Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts and Doubletree® hotels:

If you are a Gold VIP, you’ll be given access to the Executive Floor lounge when you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. If an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable, you’ll still receive daily complimentary Continental breakfast in lieu of lounge access.

If you are a Diamond VIP, you’ll enjoy access to the Executive Floor lounge, even if you don’t receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor, including daily complimentary Continental breakfast.

At hotels without Executive Floor lounges, Gold and Diamond VIPs will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for themselves and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day. If breakfast is included in the room rate, you’ll receive an alternate welcome amenity that varies by hotel.

And at the other Hilton brands, you choose from other amenities.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

As a former Hilton Diamond member I was almost always given the upgrade and always had lounge access.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

blava007 Platinum

Yes, during my latest few stays across US in (South Carolina, North Carolina and California) at full service Marriott’s they offered me a free Internet access.

It’s great to see that some of the hotels accelerated and moved-up the dates for free Internet.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have not experienced that.  As a matter of fact, I just checked in and was asked if I wanted access.  when I asked for the serviceto be free, I got a smirk and a response that said wait til May.  

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It only happened once to me in Ventura CA and it was a local rule applied to Platinum members only.

kahunapremier Platinum

In all my travels, I have kindly asked the GM for free internet service and they have honored that request. Marriott now making it "official" for Gold and Plat members seems to standardize across the brands, which is good.

As a Hilton Diamon status as well, I typically get the points and always get breakfast for free-NEVER has been an issue, unless I lose my status with Hilton.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...