This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

69 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2010 12:27 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Site Challenges

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Good Afternoon, Insiders.

On behalf of myself and the Marriott Rewards team, please accept our deepest apology regarding the recent site adjustments. The changes of the past few days in no way reflect how we feel about Insiders community members or our Marriott Rewards members.

Your frustration and disappointment is shared by me and our team of dedicated professionals, from IT to marketing. With this launch, we remain vulnerable to the capabilities of our community host and have been tirelessly working with them to bring the site back to more attractive functionality, and in turn, its higher level of respectability.

At this very moment, the executive board and key staff of our community host are flying in to Marriott Headquarters where we have scheduled a day-long meeting to address the critical defects, errors and concerns in person.

We ask that you please bear with us as we work through the issues.  I will update the community as soon as we receive encouraging news from the host site.

We cannot thank you enough for your understanding and enduring patience during this difficult transition. In the end, with your continued input, we hope to continue to grow Insiders in the right direction. We truly honor your steadfast commitment to Marriott Rewards.

Regards,

Andrew and the Marriott Rewards Team

• Re: Site Challenges
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/walkinourshoes.jpg

"At this very moment, the executive board and key staff of our community host are flying in to Marriott Headquarters where we have scheduled a day-long meeting to address the critical defects, errors and concerns in person."

Andrew and the Marriott Rewards Team:

Thank you for reaching out to us at Insiders.   As evident from recent posts, there seems to be a strong preference for the look, feel and functionality of Insiders prior to the 'enhancements' launched seven days ago.

Community, content and commerce are inseparable.  When combined in the right way, all will thrive.  If a vibrant and thriving online community is Marriott's objective, then rethinking the 'enhancements' may help to achieve the desired outcome.

Very best wishes for a successful meeting.

TJCNewYork

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Whew!!!!

Thanks for taking our comments seriously and jumping in to fix the chaos!!!  We really do appreciate the high priority this obviously has received.

My long-time IT operating standard simply is --- if it works, don't fix it!

How about rolling back the "upgrade" for awhile until the IT/Rewards team has this figured out???

Best wishes and thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Andrew -- instead of trying to "improve" the site, how about the novel concept of just leave it alone.  I can't even find my own damn posts now.  If you, or someone else, could screw it up, why can't you fix it?  Not impressed!!  Don't understand and don't have any patience!

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for looking into the problems in this significant way.  Good luck!

lorirobert Platinum

I agree.  I can even find my own stuff.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Andrew--keep us informed about of the progress of these changes---we hope for the best and I for one will wait for the resolution.  I know that you're working hard on this.

Daily updates, even one liners, would be nice.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Count me in with these folks!

Add up the nights all of us have supported Marriott and the insiders comments that have been made, and you will see the "Passion" we have, to support Marriott.

Good luck!

do you mean "refrain from use" rather than the normative "boycott?"  I think we'd all agree that keeping the conversation on a professional level with Marriott would help them and us.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"What we are experiencing here at Insiders is the fact that the new software was released WITHOUT any warning - the NUMBER ONE reason for ERP failure - that of an uninformed user base who revolt and refuse to adapt."

Pingreeman - Extremely well stated. Yesterday, after 7 days MY PROFILE functionality was restored.  Exhausted and extremely disappointed there were no HOORAYS! from this tired puppy. Just relief that I did not have to repeatedly empty cache, run antivirus software or change browser to test and retest in an attempt to isolate conditions on my end that might be causing the behavior.

Your example of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software is excellent and draws a parallel to what we can speculate happened to Insiders.  If there is a lesson learned - and I hope there is - that Marriott will seriously consider more active engagement with the user community as you have suggested.  I applaud the suggestion.

Compared with Intercontinental Hotel Group's 3 online communities for Priority Club members, Marriott Rewards Insiders does not rely upon a marketing agency, Digitas for collaboration with Communispace, IHG's vendor.  As you suggest, Marriott can reach out to the Insider community to collaborate with marketing and participate in any alpha or beta test.  And, Marriott can reach out privately and take steps to protect its competitive advantage by including a non-disclosure agreement.

Like those who rely upon TripAdvisor for planning leisure travel and vetting choice of hotel or restaurant, many of us frequent Insiders because we are looking for specific information shared by another Elite member who doesn't have an axe to grind because he/she has the pressures of meeting a T&E budget or looking for a vacation experience that others found memorable.

Pingreeman's views are on point.  When a lightbulb burns out, we go to the pantry get a new one and replace it.  In the event of loss of power, we have backup generators. Next time consider taking a Walk in Our Shoes.

At least have a backup.

Cutting thru all the corporate speak, Marriott would be dollars and "sense" ahead by taking countryjim's advice...if it works, don't fix it!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreeman  -   very nicely said!  I'm still upset, mainly because the community was important to me, but also because I felt I was let down by Marriott.  Anyway, while I was willing to support a boycott, what I really wanted all along was our member-friendly site back.  Personally, I will look forward to that day, and if it takes two weeks to get us there, so be it. 

Pingreeman wrote: What we are experiencing here at Insiders is the fact that the new software was released WITHOUT any warning...

Actually, I could deal with no warning if it WORKED!

tjcnewyork Platinum

shoeman

I agree.  If the community host, LIVEWorld made a full backup before the changes, restoring the prior look, feel and functionality is feasible.  Whether LiveWorld actually did a full backup is anyone's guess.

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Murphy's Law

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I had refrained from replying because I agreed to the boycott, but Pingreeman and TJC are spot on.  There is almost no reason to post anything because you have to jump through hoops to find anything of interest -- and then only a select few posts.

Let us hope they can restore what was lost.  I miss 'my friends' and people who have given me great advice over the years.  Now it just seems like a business transaction. If someone wants an answer to something they go to Ask & Answer, but most of us won't ever get to see that.

It's a sad day, but like TJC I hope Marriott can fix it before we lose what was in fact a fantastic innovation.  I do use tripadvisor when Marriott doesn't cover certain places, but that's not the same at all as a community.

Ciao from Venice!  I'd post pictures, but again, you'd never get to see them.

ProfChiara

ProfChiara  -  I, for one, will look forward to the day we can view your pics from venice.  enjoy.

Good Afternoon, Insiders.

The Marriott Rewards team has just completed a day-long meeting with our community host partners and key members of Marriott’s technical / business staff.

We are encouraged that there is agreement on an appropriate path for site recovery, and a plan to more effectively launch future functionality that will enhance the Marriott Rewards Insiders user experience.

Critical defects have been identified, addressed and either fixed or will be shortly, and our testers and technicians will continue to keep a keen eye on the site until it is deemed to be stable.

Thanks again for bearing with us during this difficult launch.  We’re sensitive to the aggravation this has caused and will work to bring back the ease and comfort of the Insiders experience.

Regards,

Andrew

Dear Andrew and all Marriott team members,

I think I can speak for most of us that we really appreciate so many of you dedicating a day to work out the problems.

At the same time, I must agree with NUHUSKER that at least Insiders' was working to everyone's satisfaction before -- and now it is not ( at all ).  You allowed us to create a responsive community (unlike TripAdvisor, for the most part) where we got to know each other virtually.  We knew which Insiders could mostly like give us the best information on a specific site or simply trip advice.  Now we can't get that. We got to give back and forth about travel and our experiences that is now impossible.

So while I urge you to try innovations in other aspects of the Marriott experience I second NUHUSKER and others who say just return it to the way it was.  I think you've heard enough of us to know that's what we want.

ProfChiara

And I hope someday soon to be able to send them.  Before I have to start going to conference talks tomorrow, I spent the afternoon in gorgeous Murano (spending too much money, but on priceless things.  Then a fantastic dinner that helped me recover from a very, very crowded flight.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Prof Chiara

Great comments.  Best wishes in Venice and enjoy the conference.  I look forward to the postcards!!!  If you are able a snapshot of the artisans at Murano is my special request.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"We are encouraged that there is agreement on an appropriate path for site recovery, and a plan to more effectively launch future functionality"

After 8 days, that's really encouraging to hear.  Thank you for posting the update,

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Andrew and site team:

Many thanks for your energy and efforts to rectify the Insider's technical chaos.

Its great to innovate and provide new functionality and features ---- however, one needs to avoid the temptation to develop the cure for which there is no disease.

Good wishes and thanks to the team.

Andrew,

Thanks for that update.  As on a nuclear sub (SSBN), when there is an engineering issue everything goes to full stop until the cause is known and the problem rectified.  Insiders, while not as dangerous as an SSBN, is a vessel that many of us have come to understand and use on a daily basis.

As was said elsewhere, it is the sense of community, of give and take, that brings us back each time.  Losing that sense even for a few days, is discomforting and frustrating as well.

Here's hoping that the bugs can be worked out, and that we will once again log on with a sense of anticipation.

Hi all

As SteppingStones said so well, "As on a nuclear sub (SSBN), when there is an engineering issue everything goes to full stop until the cause is known and the problem rectified.  Insiders, while not as dangerous as an SSBN, is a vessel that many of us have come to understand and use on a daily basis."

I think as Insiders (we the people who write on it) may have proven as dangerous as an SSBN .  Our collective response of AAAGHHHHH!!!! seems to have been heard.  I am very happy Marriott is trying to work this out because I so miss checking out insiders several times a day to see what new places people are visiting, following their travels, etc.  That can never be replaced by an "ask and answer" session, nor should it be. That's what google is for.

Ciao,

ProfChiara

• Re: Site Challenges - The Value of 'F'
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/BigGreenF.jpg

Does anyone else subscribe to the daily e-mail update, Forum Watch Digest?  The e-mail extends the online forum experience to my Inbox and sets my expectations before visiting the Forum by calling attention to the topics I follow.  What was a positive experience turned sour with the enhancements and I think it worth bringing up since no one else has.  Prior to April 1st and several days following, the Forum Watch Digest contained long lists with multiple updated topics.

To illustrate, on April 2nd, here's an entry.  If you click the URL you'll see that there's no new user activity, but there's a big 'F':

Topic "Rewards Activity Now Posts Lifetime Nights!" has been updated one time
    http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread.jspa?messageID=14000008756#14000008756

Similarly, on April 3rd, the Forum Watch Digest included lists of messages from Marriott that have nothing new except a big 'F':

User "Marriott" has created 2 new messages

"Catch a Movie on Us + Summer Sweepstakes" was
    created on 7/17/09 9:29 AM
    http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread.jspa?messageID=14000005716#14000005716

"Forum Set Up" was
    created on 10/25/08 11:39 AM
    http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13000004796#13000004796

IMHO, setting expectations about new and relevant content helps achieve the objective, "enhance the Marriott Rewards Insiders user experience".

But, does http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/BigGreenF.jpg qualify? Does 'F' let you know where you are?  What is the value of a big 'F' everywhere?  Does 'F' enhance your user experience?  Should the 'F' go away or remain?

As you ponder the fortune of http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/BigGreenF.jpg what's everyone's thinking on Forum Watch Digest?  As an extension of the online experience to my Inbox, I think Forum Watch Digest merits scrutiny, testing and rethinking.  Does anyone agree?

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Murphy's Law

• Re: Site Challenges-Advanced Search Defect
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/AdvancedSearch-BlankResults.jpg

Above: To enlarge, right-click the graphic, click View Image

PLEASE fix Advanced Search. I'm researching my reply to LoriRobert's recent review of a family vacation at the JW Grand Lakes in Orlando.  Although a very positive experience, the hotel's lack of compliance with Florida's smoke-free statutes cast a shadow.  An Advanced Search on the key phrase, 'smoke-free' returned 84 posts.  If "critical defects have been identified, addressed and either fixed or will be shorty", why is Page 4 of 6 blank?

TJ, I do not subscribe and probably should, but my inbox gets jammed with enough as it is.  Part of the funof logging on to Insiders is the search (harder than it used to be) for new posts and new ask and answers.  It gives me a chance to look over the state of play; to take the pulse of the discussion threads.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Stepping Stones,

With the exception of the updates triggered by the addition of the 'F' icon,  the daily Forum Watch Digest is now stable. You have to Sign In to Insiders for the links to work properly.  I find the service very convenient and highly reliable.  Forum Watch Digest extends the online experience to my Inbox.

Advanced Search is still broken.  If you search, 'smoke free' or 'smoke-free' w/o the quotes, the engine delivers different Results. Sometimes the Next page arrow shows, sometimes it doesn't.  Many Insiders contributed over 50 replies to the legendary 'AMS' thread, but you'd never find it searching by 'AMS'. Rather, search by '800' and 'gorilla'. Go figure.

Has anyone had success with the Advanced Search filters?  What's the value if anything you search for delivers a big fat ZERO?

I truly envy those that are much more tech-savy than I.  When it comes to tv remote controls, I phone, new software, etc., I get so frustrated even the easiest of maneuvers become impossible.  While I appreciate what tj said, I really don't understand most of it.  Wouldn't a function that allowed all recent comments, regardless of subject, to be chronologically  listed be derireable?  They could also be labelled and posted in category folders for easy reference, but would also allow the average skill person to simply scroll the latest posts and decide for himself/herself what interests them to further dig.  Is that function now available and I am not aware of it?  Is that a function that others would appreciate?  thoughts?

Hi TJC and Stepping Stones,
    I have subscribed to the F forum (that sounds unfortunate), but haven't gotten anything since I've been in Europe.  I am using wifi at the superb Hotel Sant'Elena (Best Western) in Venice, and some sites think it is not a reliable connection (like my college). But mostly I haven't had any problems.

I had an idea until problems get resolved in (I hope) making things go back to the way they were.  I'm not planning to post on the 4 possible forums except for Rewards.

What do you and others think? It seems to me if we want to continue our conversations until the site is fixed, we have to do so through the Rewards forum.  Otherwise, everything will get lost in a huge pile of emails that are not frequented by most of us who are heavy-duty Marriott travelers.

What do you think? I MIGHT even be able to post some Venice photos -- though I'm off to Siena tomorrow. Alas, TJC, when I got to Murano two more times it was always lunchtime, so I couldn't get glassblowers in action.  But although some places said "No photos" even of their showrooms, I managed to take some.  I'm good at that.

Ciao, ProfChiara

Exactly, Shoeman -- just like the old days before the 'improvements,' where we had many forums, cities, rewards, hotels and other sites.  I am waiting to see the results -- none yet, which is discouraging, but as I just wrote, I think all of us who are regulars should just post on Rewards whatever is of interest.

ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Professor,

The Duomo in Siena is absolutely gorgeous! 

What beautiful sunsets from my hotel window (see my avatar photo!)

Here are my two favorite restaurants in Siena:

Antica Osteria da Divo

La Taverna di San Giuseppe

Enjoy!!!!

Non è un problema di professore - dobbiamo mantenere il Marriott Rewards come il nostro dominio per il momento.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I'm not planning to post on the 4 possible forums except for Rewards. What do you and others think? It seems to me if we want to continue our conversations until the site is fixed, we have to do so through the Rewards forum.  Otherwise, everything will get lost in a huge pile of emails"

Prof Chiara

I'm ok with keeping discussion in this thread until the site is fixed.  Who knows how long that will take and what the outcome will be.  I think the longest thread on record is exceeds 640 replies.  Heck, maybe we can exceed that and give a whole new meaning to 'Walk in Our Shoes'?

Grazie mille, NewHilton!

I love the Duomo in Siena -- it is so much more beautiful that the one in Florence. I will be staying at the Residenza d'Epoca Il Casato.  I've never been there, but it was set up by my publisher so I'll report back after a whirlwind trip tonight and tomorrow.

Ciao, ProfChiara

Buon giorno SteppingStones and TJC,

Super!  After Siena and my flight home I will try posting some photos to site challenges and see what happens.  I think we probably will break the record of posts for one issue unless they return things to the status quo ante fairly soon.

Ciao, ProfChiara

Professor,

In addition to the Duomo, etc, I know the Sanctuary of St. Catherine and the Oratory of the Crucifix, along with the Basilica of San Domenico (housing St. Catherine's head and thumb, when not on tour!) are major sites within Siena... as well they deserve to be!

But, I came across a church that I was not aware of even with all the research that I'd done prior to my visit... the Basilica di San Francesco which houses the Eucharistic Miracle.  The Chapel of the Sacred Hosts holds the 351 consecrated hosts stolen in 1730 and found 3 days later protruding from the poor box.  They have remained miraculously intact and fresh since then.  Unconsecrated hosts, put in an airtight box in 1789, were checked in 1850 and little was left of them.  I was visiting the church but was not aware of the Euchasristic Miracle until a tour group insisted that I follow along with them!  There was something else worth seeing there (which I saw) but have yet to figure out what it was!  LOL!!!  None of them spoke English and I have no idea what language they were speaking.  Not Italian! You meet the nicest people everywhere!

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you, NewHilton!  I will have some free time between events at 9am and 6pm, so I definitely need to check this out since I teach (besides all of European history from Greece to the Thirty Years War) religious history.

These are the kinds of stories my students read in their books.  Medieval and early modern people, who understood enough of their church teachings to know that the consecrated host was meant to save them tried to get their hands on it (or secrete it in their mouth till mass was over), either to heal a sick cow (strange but true, and frequent) or for nefarious purposes, especially in the period of the Reformations.  In the seventeenth century, one Dutchwoman was constantly arrested for going to mass (in Catholic territories), keeping the host in her cheek, and then promptly flushing it down the privy -- then telling everyone what she had done!

I couldn't agree more about the kindness of strangers. As an American who has lived in Europe, I also try to go out of my way to be a kind of mini-ambassador.  Even the smallest of gestures is appreciated.

I find that if you speak only a few words in another language you will get treated like royalty. That worked like a charm in Greece, although I couldn't understand anything said back to me. Before I checked in here at the Sant'Elena in Venice I wrote an email to the concierge in Italian asking if it was possible to get into my room early (3pm is normal checkin). When I arrived at 10, not only was my room ready, but they told me since I had written in advance they gave me the 'matrimonial chamber'

ProfChiara

And if Site Challenges gets too overloaded (even now it is annoying that when you have a thread update it takes you to the thread posted longest ago rather than the most recent).  So when it gets overwhelming, let's change to Walk in My Shoes under Rewards.

Salute, ProfChiara

Tell me if the pictures of Venice work in the new site.  Here's a hint of the joys of the city.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

Above: Basilica di San Francesco

"I came across a church that I was not aware of even with all the research that I'd done prior to my visit... the Basilica di San Francesco which houses the Eucharistic Miracle.  The Chapel of the Sacred Hosts holds the 351 consecrated hosts stolen in 1730 and found 3 days later protruding from the poor box.  They have remained miraculously intact and fresh since then."

NewHiltonMembr and Professor Chiara

Thank you for posting your travels in northern Italy particularly the experience of the Basilica di San Francesco. Sharing aspects of religious history that enliven and enrich your lectures struck a personal chord.  The Eucharistic Miracle of Siena is extremely well-documented, and the Chapel of the Sacred Hosts a new, 'must see' when staying in the Milan Marriott and visiting Sienna, a mere 30 miles away.  Maybe 'Marriotti will expand in this area?

Professor:  perfect photos--can't wait to see more of them.  Italy is a beautiful place and you've captured its essence!

Thank you

File:SienaSanFrancesco.JPG

Thanks for the beautiful scene of Siena and it's gorgeous Duomo, TJC!

Above are photos of the Basilica di San Francesco in Siena.  Much simpler in its architeture and decoration than the Duomo... I like to think of it much like St. Francis lived his life.

And, I do hope that Marriott would expand in this area as Rome is about a 3-hour drive and Milan is approximately a 4-hour drive from Siena.

Professor, love your photos of Venice and Murano!  Thanks!

tjcnewyork Platinum

NewHiltonMembr

Nice photos! Thank you for the heads up about the distance of Sienna from Milan. Interestingly, a search on Sienna, Italy at Marriott.com shows the Milan Marriott a mere 30.1 miles away. Re-checking just now, Marriott.com replaces the search text with 'Senna Lodigiana'.  Just to make sure it wasn't a typo, it's possible to duplicate the behavior.  Apparently, the Marriott.com search engine is not as reliable as I thought it to be. The Insiders search engine is not the only one with challenges.

The same search at Hilton.com delivers honest results, "Sorry, no hotels were found that match your exact search. You may change your search criteria in the options on left or select from the following hotels within our portfolio of brands."

Hi TJC,

The issue on the Marriott site seems to be if you enter Siena with 2 'n's -- Sienna.  It then changes your search to Senna Lodigiana.  If you enter it as Siena, you receive a message that there are no hotels within 50 miles of your destination. 

Actually, Hilton does have a Hilton Garden Inn in Florence about 32 miles from Siena.  I stayed there while in Florence... it was a lovely, newly renovated hotel with sleep-number beds and a huge 'sunflower/rainforest' (?)  showerhead (didn't want to get out the shower!).  Although is was about a 10-15 minute bus ride from the alstadt, it was a great hotel!   Especially on points!  Had dinner there my first night in Florence and was happily surprised by the quality of the food.  Free breakfast was included. 

Oh, boy, how I wish Marriott would find a home in nearby Florence!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Wouldn't a function that allowed all recent comments, regardless of subject, to be chronologically listed be desireable? "

Insiders has a sort function built into Search.  Results can be displayed by 'Newest', 'Oldest' and 'Highest Rated'.  Unfortunately, Search is not user-friendly. 'Broken' is clearer.  The recent addition of 'Filters' makes for a horrible experience trying to find what you're looking for.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"If you enter it as Siena, you receive a message that there are no hotels within 50 miles of your destination. "

Thanks again, NewHiltonMembr!  How is the Hilton Garden in Florence?

Sorry I have been missing in action for two days -- when I logged on and saw no site challenges listed at first I feared we had been deleted.  I agree, NewHilton, there should definitely be a Marriott in Tuscany.

I stayed at a lovely Residenza in Siena for two days for my lectures, but it would be hard to recommend except for those who want the best (and worst) of medieval experiences. It is a lovely medieval hotel, with steps (no elevator) that are extremely challenged, especially when you are walking up four flights of stairs with luggage and a computer. I also could not get wifi to work.  At the same time, I had Tuscan paintings on the ceilings and walls of my suite and a huge outdoor patio that overlooked the city.

I'm one of those who prefers Siena to Florence -- or maybe I have just been to Florence more times.  When there, I usually stay at one of the Best Westerns, which can vary enormously in quality.  I recommend using Tripadvisor extensively before booking.  But I do indeed agree that Marriott needs more hotels in Italy and France!
    ProfChiara

• Walk in My Shoes

I'm using TJC's thread title because I wonder  if they've stopped our thread.  I could only find 4 of the 49 listed responses to the most recent (I think) Marriott message.  Does anyone know how to find all the responses?

I'll post a few photos of Siena soon, if I ever get out of JFK.

ProfChiara

PS - Has anyone seen any of the supposed fixes?

welcome home.  we will anxiously await the photo's.  No, there have no noticeable changes to the website.  If anything, I find myself getting more and more frustrated as each day goes by.  It must be the same for others as I have noticed an appreciable dropoff in postings.  we will see.

No real progress on fixing all the changes, but I have not had a crash as TJC did, not a profile issues, as he did. I do find the multiple steps required to create a post a tad bit bothersome, and have also noted the drop off in postings.

• Re: Site Challenges aka Walk in My Shoes
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Home01Page.jpg

Has anyone seen any of the supposed fixes?"

Professor Chiara - Bless your heart!  Your shoes have been half way around the world and you're asking about fixes?  Does this flashback help?

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Does anyone know why the moderater of Bill Marriott's blog refuses to accept a comment without giving a reason for that refusal?"

LesliePamel:  Regards the feedback@marriott.com.

FYInsiders | MVCI Owners: LesliePamel is referring to Jeff Harder's 4/10/2010 post: Visiting Our New JW Marriott Hotel in the Texas Hill Country

Welcome home, Professor!  Hope you enjoyed lovely Italy and had a successful visit.

Boy, we could have met for a cocktail while you were stuck in JFK... I'm about 25 minutes away!  Laughing

Looking forward to your photos!

Hi TJC, NewHilton, SteppingStones, and Shoeman,

Thanks for your posts -- they're not as easy to find now that they get clumped in and you can only see a few at a time.

I  get stuck in JFK frequently so if any of you feel like a drive down for cocktails at the Delta SkyClub let me know.  Happily yesterday was not one of those times.  Believe it or not, Venice, Siena, Florence and Rome in six days by car, bus, train, plane and vaporetto and EVERYTHING went on time!  How many times does that happen? Never to me.

The site change is as awful (worse?) than ever, so I think we need to keep up our mild civil disobedience. You are all so right -- fewer people are posting and so there is less reason even to check.  However, since we have a small and dedicated group of people intent on getting back what we had I think we should make sure Site Challenges keeps getting a post or few every day so that Marriott knows.  After all, we're some of their most frequent posters.

I am home in Maine but jetlagged and have to teach today, so I will send photos from Siena tomorrow or Friday.

Cheers to all fellow travelers...

ProfChiara

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC  Thanks for the E.mail address for providing feedback to Marriott. I will share the reply with you.

WOW ! Texas Hill Country Looks fantastic. I would love to stay there. Through my timeshare over 22 years I have had the pleasure of staying in Marriott hotels in many corners of the world. However 7 nights now costs me 180,000 points. That means trading 14 nights in a 3 bed luxury villa, for 7 nights in an hotel. As I have said before "NO DEAL"

• Re: Site Challenges-Online Browsing?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Home01Page-2.jpg

"I think we should make sure Site Challenges keeps getting a post or few every day so that Marriott knows"

I think it's important that Marriott be aware that online browsing is now an extremely challenging experience.Browse by Destinations is one Insiders feature that I miss.  Browsing was so user-friendly.  With one easy click on 'Rome', you could see everything Insiders have posted about the 'City of Seven Hills' from redeeming points for the highly popular Grand Flora to must-see sightseeing, restaurants and ground transportation tips.

Browse by Destinations seems like a must-have feature for any travel & hospitality site. Anybody agree?

I agree completely with TJC -- I checked Paris, Rome and London practically every day.  Besides Rewards, Hotels, and Businesses I sometimes also checked the sightseeing section.

I think one of you may have mentioned it is also possible to check most recent posts (say to site challenges), but it is hard to do so and I haven't figured it out.  I have to scroll through to the fourth page as it stands now.

I also find it very interesting that if you just click under Rewards or Hotels rather than a specific thread, you get things from March rather than recent posts.

Please, Marriott, you said you were listening -- change it back!

ProfChiara

Well said TJ.  I used the 'browsing by city' feature often.  In fact, on my last 3 vacations it was a starting point in deciding where to go and where to stay.  It truly was a function that broughtr additional business to Marriott while assisting us Insiders with ideas.  It was a win-win situation. 

Now, for my daily rant.  While there was much enthusiasm built around the meeting of the minds last week at Marriott, can anyone share ANY improvement made to the website since the meeting?  There have been suggestions by some that there have been changes, but I don't see them.  Thoughts?

Professor,

If you click on the Forums tab at the top of the page, it will display the 3 most recent reponses on each of the 4 forums... used to be much better when there were 10 forums!  Now you only see 12 recent threads... used to 30 recent threads (and even that wasn't enough).

Another thing I don't like is that when scrolling through a forum, you used to see the Last Reply Date so you would know if something recent was added to a thread.  It is no longer present.

Hi NewHilton,

I have used that, but my question is whether once you get to, for example, Site Challenges (or search for it), you'll find five pages.  They're ranked oldest to most recent so you have to scroll through five pages to see the latest.  Do you know how to reverse that?  Sometimes people have posted quite a few comments in a short space of time and the three are only the tip of the iceberg.

Loved your pictures of San Francesco! I didn't have enough time to get there, so I had to settle for a quick re-tour of the Duomo, San Domenico and the Sanctuary of Catherine of Siena.

Also, Shoeman1000, I agree completely.  Why the big splash about their whole day meeting and nothing since (at least nothing that any of us can see)?  Is it truly that difficult to return the site to the way it was?

I'm not ready to give up because I feel like I'd lose a lot of virtual friends, so I think we need to keep making our feelings heard.

ProfChiara

To continue your rant, NewHilton, I also liked seeing how many replies there were and the ability to read them easily. Only occasionally does that function still seem to be there.

Sigh!

Professor,

Sorry, I misunderstood... I do agree with you and have posted a previous rant about the same sort sequence issue!

Glad you liked the photos.  And, glad you were able to enjoy the sites of Siena!

• Re: Site Challenges-Search|Sort By:Newest
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Search-SortBy-1-1.jpg

"They're ranked oldest to most recent so you have to scroll through five pages to see the latest.  Do you know how to reverse that? "

Professor Chiara and All,

Search appears functional (Advanced Search is challenged).

By default, Search displays the posts with Sort By: Newest.  You will see the most recent Topics at the top and the newest posts under each Topic listed first.

As a tip, try Sort By: Highest Rated.

Update 4/14/10 @ 4:22 pm:  Enlarged graphic for clarity and visibility.

costaricasusan Platinum

How hard can it be just to return this site to the way it was.   I used to use it to plan all my trips and was easily able to navigate to the city I was planning to visit and read all the threads.  Not so now!!!!!    The Insiders blog is used by your most loyal customers (note the number of posts by gold and platinum members).   Not nice to tick off your most loyal (and vocal) customers!!!!!!!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I used to use it to plan all my trips and easily able to navigate to the city I was planning to visit and read all the threads."

Well said, CostaRicaSusan.  Browse by Destination was the easiest way to navigate. Click the city and view the hotels, restaurants and more.  Replacing BROWSE with a search and filter function that lists all the brands, but returns ZERO results as shown below doesn't make any sense at all.

Greetings Insiders,

Your continued support has been most helpful and appreciated – we are working to fix all of the new functionality, but continue to run in to issues that remain mostly out of our control and in the hands of our partner, who has been working diligently to rectify the defects.

While we understand a roll-back to the older site would make the community more comfortable, we fear that our partner’s platform is unstable, and any roll-back could cause deeper defects. In the interest of the community and its usability, this is a risk we would not want to take.

Please consider the current condition of your Insiders community as temporary.  We will provide insight and help once more successful site operations are confirmed.

Thank you. We promise we’ll be in touch with more answers and insights as soon as they become available.

-Andrew

tjcnewyork Platinum

"While we understand a roll-back to the older site would make the community more comfortable, we fear that our partner’s platform is unstable, and any roll-back could cause deeper defects. In the interest of the community and its usability, this is a risk we would not want to take."

Bravissimo for the update, Andrew.  Given the instability we have experienced thus far, I fully agree with the decision to avoid any path that would cause deeper defects and render the forum unusable.  As of this morning, the progress is noteworthy:  Advanced Search by City and Advanced Search by Custom Term work; Advanced Search by Brand does not work.

Browse by Destinations and Browse by Topics were two features that Insiders found easy to use.  In a few minutes, it was possible to recreate Browse by Topics for the community to test and react to.  Pending responses, is the platform stable enough to restore some type of easy point and click browsing at a later time?

james30 Platinum

Any thought to getting a new partner?

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Any thought to getting a new partner?"

James30

Excellent question.  I think the partnership between Marriott and LiveWorld is successful. Insiders grew at breakneck speed and Elite are engaged.

Inviting feedback and using suggestions to innovate is a process Marriott has mastered.  With lessons-learned, Marriott and LiveWorld will take steps to prevent future disuptions.

One step might involve the expansion of brand ambassadors. Tapping more road warriors loyal to Marriott who understand Elite expectations can only have a positive outcome.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...