12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 9:17 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Step back and think about this

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Rather than boycott why don't we have Marriott's Internet team explain what's going on, why it is happening, and then tell us what they intend to do to fix the problem.

In the words of a contractor acquaintance, "I tend to see solutions, rather than problems," when these kinds of issues arise.

Antibody else agree with me?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Step back and think about this
    engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

queen1 Platinum

I agree that that the matter should be brought to Marriott's attention with a view to a solution rather than not going to that facility.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"why don't we have Marriott's Internet team explain what's going on, why it is happening, and then tell us what they intend to do to fix the problem."

A periodic/daily update, even one-liner from Marriott would be very much appreciated.  Since many Insiders have already voiced a strong preference for the look, feel and "user-friendly" functionality prior to April 1st, the ball is in Marriott's court to be proactive, engage and respond.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

stepping stones  - how did the "hopey-changey" thing work out for you?  This site is still a mess and nothing much has changed in 3 months.  Maybe a boycott was the correct optioon after all.  You apparently made the wrong assumption that someone at marriott really cared what we thought.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

To paraphrase your friend's quote, I always been told it's better to be part of the solution than to be part of the problem.  And I think that's what Insiders have done.  First, we've been patient...extremely patient for the most part.  When did the site problems begin?  Early May?  Late April?  Again, extremely patient.  We have also continued to participate on the message board attempting to learn the new system.  We have supported other insiders thru their frustrating efforts.  We have "engaged" (a verb I've stolen from my insider friend, TJC) Marriott many times asking for updates, offering technical help, giving advice, and yes, even complaining, with the expectation that one of those approaches would lead to a solution.  Do you actually think we haven't asked Marriott to explain the problem and what they're doing about it??  Andrew has addressed this several times, but to me, it seems like this problem is bigger than the capabilities of the team he has assembled to fix it.  So, not sure what else you suggest?  Maybe some form of the military mantra, "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome."  Now that's a strategy!

Shoeman, there are still plenty of issues that aggravate me and others--I have chatted with Andrew and others about them.  Apparently, the time required to fix these issues is longer than anyone could have imagined and the first priority is not to crash the site in doing it.  As you know it's a west coast firm that works the site for Marriott, but that's not the real problem--it's winnowing down to those issues that are most pressing.

I have been assured that the problems raised have been noted and forwarded to Live World.  As for hope and change, I am nearly out of both!

Thanks

Husker,

How about 'follow me!" the Fort Benning Credo drummed into my heard as a small unit leader (aka platoon leader)? (US Army class  IOBC 10, 1969).

I share the frustration of finding that since April 1st there has not been much to cheer with regards to Insiders, the way it was!  I have longed for the site as it was on March 31st, but find that it's gone forever, and apparently not coming back.

I see the site has morphed from one that featured travel to one where complaints abound (all well-meaning) about the site and it's ineffectiveness.  This tells me that there is unrest in the hustings, and it's not getting any better.

If I had the magic wand I'd merely say, "go back, go back to the way we liked it before," but as in my military service wanting something to happen and making it happen were often two very different things.  Colonel Charlie Beckwith (Delta commander)summed it up to me after an operation, but his language was much too colorful for Insiders, when he spoke of the slowness of change and the disrespect with which good ideas are often treated. One of the six axioms of any operation as I recall.

So, waiting allows you to wait, not much more.  I am most concerned that the original intent of Insiders as a travel information site has been lost forever. Can I fix it? No. Can I hope that it is fixed? Maybe but it will be a while.  Will I abandon Insiders? Not really.  Do I have an answer? Nope.

Anyway, I hope to be proven wrong, some day.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks, SteppingStones.  You're right that we are all looking forward to the return of the original intent of Insiders.  And as I mentioned, I've noticed some improvement...not enough yet, but some is better than none.  As for the complaints, I'm not a numbers guy, but they seem to be fewer these days.  Not sure if that's because most of us have essentially given up since they were falling on deaf ears, or maybe some insiders have left the site altogether.  I also think that Andrew is intent on fixing the site, but it sure seems to me that the damage done by someone else outmatches his ability to fix it.  Sorry, Andrew...nothing personal.  Keep up the good effort.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"maybe some insiders have left the site altogether"

That's a highly likely possibility.  Hotel World Network publishers of several  magazines serving the hotel industry recently interviewed Jane Butler, Google’s industry director for travel.*

Butler summarized several key trends:

1. An intensity in online travel research;

2. A shortening of the amount of time between the travel research and the actual travel booking;

3. A demand for more online access on the go (think, mobile).

* Up close with Google's industry director of travel: Jane Butler

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

To All.

call me a cynic, but I do not buy into the idea that this fix just takes time.  If the site was a profit center, it would have been fixed in nothing flat.  anyone who doesnt believe that is simply naiive.  There is still plenty I truly like about Marriott, just not MRI.  I find that I stop by from time-to-time, but no longer look forward to the interaction.  sad, but true. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"If the site was a profit center, it would have been fixed in nothing flat.  anyone who doesnt believe that is simply naiive. "

Shoeman - Bravo, your point is extremely well-taken.  Stepping back and thinking about it, I'm compelled to agree with you.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"mess"

Very quietly, the friendly and intuitive 'Browse by Destination' feature that we all enjoyed prior to April 1st was replaced on the Insiders Home page as "Browse Destinations."  And  the dysfunctional, 'Advanced Search', has been streamlined. Any feedback?  Has what shoeman among others referred to as a "mess" been cleaned up and fixed to Insider expectations?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...