4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2010 7:56 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Games

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Seems every Hotel chain (As TJCNY points out in his excellent post on the facets and foibles of the SPG covert program) has an angle, a new thing to try, in the sometimes vain hope that it will make folks more loyal to that brand.

I guess I am old-fashioned but I see brand loyalty as not being based on gimmicks, or secret promotions, or value-less trickery. 

Brand loyalty for me consists of:

• Making or selling a product or service that I want to buy, and when I do, not seeing price as the primary driver (though it is close to the top of the list).

• Consistently providing a service (if not a product) to me as a customer that has far more pluses than minuses.

• Seeing the purchase and the use of that product or service as both valuable and memorable.

I have had the same insurance company, USAA, for the last 40 plus years.  While they are sometimes not the cheapest, they are consistently the best in terms of customer service and followup.  I will stick with them as long as they'll have me.

I routinely throw away about ten pieces of mail a week offering to "absolutely lower my rates on insurance," if I act quickly.  I have not and will not do that.

So brand loyalty is a two-way street:  the provider of the service needs to be mindful of me as a customer and as long as I see that the product or service has value, I will remain loyal. Forget gimmicks--get to the core of good service and good products and we'll all be happier.

• Re: Games
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/carousel_insiders.gif

No games, no trickery. Give me a brand that consistently exceeds expectations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

stepping stones  -  I always find your posts insightful and interesting.  may I ask if you had any PERSONAL experience where spg used gimmikry?  Although Marriott is my hotel chain of choice, my experience at spg hotels have been just as pleasant. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Never was asked by SPG to be part of a secret program though I have been a member of their program forever--and at the top level a few times.  I have only read about the bait and switch on the FF forums and can offer no personal experience, just the anecdotal experience that others have mentioned.

I was in the 1980s a member of the Pan Am FT program, which remains for me, the quintessential example of what a program should be: an unadorned program that recognizes the loyalty of its members with special perks, no miles or nights, just excellent service and upgrades to business or first class  most of the time. Pan Am is gone forever as is the simplicity and honesty of their program.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://images.bookit.com/SI376/SI376_42794.jpg

Above: Royal Hawaiian in Starwood Luxury Collection

Marriott's expansion on the island of Oahu at Ko Olina and Waikiki is relatively recent compared to other brands who are established on the island.  During one of several trips on business and leisure, I booked a suite at Starwoods Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki.  The guest experience for myself, wife and family while there attending a convention at the nearby Sheraton was not just pleasant, it was unforgettable!

The Royal Hawaiian is as upscale as it gets.  Robes, slippers, fresh flowers, turndown service, complimentary breakfast, chilled bottled water in the mini-fridge and more.  

Based upon stories swapped with fellow conventioneers staying at the Sheraton, the decision to go upscale at the Royal Hawaiian was worth every single penny.

We extended the trip ten days heading to Marriott's Vacation Club on Kaua'i for a week and then Maui Ocean Club before flying home from Maui.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...