2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2010 12:15 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Promotion Programs

james30 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I think it would be great if Marriott made the different promotion programs available to everyone, allowing us to select the one in which we'd like to participate based on our goals and objectives.  I think this would be more appropriate than their deciding whom should receive what offer.  It's hard to justify why some would receive more lucrative offers than others but at the moment that seems to be the case.  I recently talked with MR and asked to be enrolled in a particular promotion and was told it was offered to a select group and the system would now allow me to participate.  It offers more rewards than my current program.  Hmm....and some of us thought Platinum members received the best perks.

• Re: Promotion Programs
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Which promotion were you excluded from?  I'd be interested to know as well, and thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Promotion Programs
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/carousel_insiders.gif

Excellent topic, James30

With 32 million members, a portfolio of 14+ distinct brands, over 3,000 properties and hundreds of thousands of room keys, Marriott has a very deep reservoir of guest experience data.  The data can be sliced and diced in a number of ways to identify what works and what doesn't.  Utilizing data to drive operational excellence and continuous improvement is a hallmark of leadership that I particularly admire about Marriott.  To me, it's absolutely senseless to make the same mistake over and over again.  Marriott pinpoints a problem and takes action.  That practice contributes to Marriott's dominance in the marketplace.  Simply, by tracking guest experience and guest satisfaction, Marriott has its finger on the pulse.

But, there is a 'darkside'.  Marriott utilizes this vast base of knowledge about its guests to uncover guest expectations and engage in 'targeted' promotions.  That is, offering special promotions to a selected group/audience. A common practice, selecting audiences that share common attributes are known to respond in the same way.  Combined with member Opt-In, Marriott leverages the knowledge to deliver promotions known to have value by specific groups.

For example, whenever Marriott launches the bi-annual Megabonus, there are no less than half-dozen combination of offers. The discussion is wide open on FlyerTalk

"allowing us to select the one in which we'd like to participate based on our goals and objectives."

Thumbs-up, James30 - I fully agree.  Marriott - if you're listening, what about extending Platinum Override to promotions with no questions asked?  Guest goals and objectives are dynamic as ever now.  As long as privacy is maintained, using prior data to target is ok, but providing loyal Elite with a choice on the most lucrative offer only improves the chances of success!

Insiders: Which brand has the best loyalty/rewards program? VOTE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...