5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2010 8:39 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Recycling at Marriotts

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I do a lot a travel and only been in three facilities (one a Residence Inn and two Hamptons) which have placed containers for recycling newspapers and plastic and glass containers. Not surprising, all three of these hotels are in college towns with recycling programs.

In most hotels, newspapers are routinely available for guests and recyclable plastic containers are used extensively. I think, as a good corporate citizen, Marriott should begin these programs at corporately owned facilities and encourage franchisers to follow suit.

Most commercial waste collectors have developed recycling services for which they do not charge differently than for regular trash collection. There would be minimal additional cost for waste removal for recycling.

• Re: Recycling at Marriotts
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"as a good corporate citizen, Marriott should begin these programs at corporately owned facilities and encourage franchisers to follow suit."

The lion's share of properties are owned and operated by franchises. Corporate owned hotels are the exception.  Corporate does have several 'green' initiatives in place, but could be further ahead:

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Many areas, especially in CA, have begun single pass recycling efforts, where most nonfood waste goes into a single container and is sorted at the waste facility in a single pass.

At the Shadow Ridge MVCI resort in Palm Desert CA there is a separate blue container for the single pass items.  Unfortunately the guests seem not to see the value in making this choice, based on the waste that we see outside our doors in the mornings.

Keeping the trash to a minimum and the reusables together makes a lot of good sense.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"At the Shadow Ridge MVCI resort in Palm Desert CA there is a separate blue container"

Stepping Stones

I think the separate blue containers are standard operating procedure at Marriott Vacation Club brand.  I've seen them in Grande Vista, Cypress Harbor, Imperial Palms, Royal Palms and Sabal Palms in Orlando, the Boston Custom House and Desert Springs Villas I and II in Palm Desert.  As you point out, guests do not seem to be aware that they're intended for recycling.

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

The only Marriott branded hotel I've seen recycling containers has been the Residence Inn in Ann Arbor Michigan.  The conatainers are next to the regular trash bins in high traffic areas.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/carousel_insiders.gif

"The only Marriott branded hotel I've seen recycling containers has been the Residence Inn in Ann Arbor Michigan"

I agree on the importance of wider participation across all Marriott brands and the need for increasing the level of guest awareness.  There are a couple of alternatives to share your thoughts in addition to Insiders. 

Consider authoring a comment on Bill Marriott's blog on the Environment or emailing, customer.care@marriott.com.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links