7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2010 8:11 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

AAA Discount

traveler2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have to wonder if using my AAA card for a discount means I wont be upgraded to a better room or better view.  Seems we always get stuck somewhere undesirable even though the hotel isn't that busy.  What do you all think?  Anybody experienced this?

• Re: AAA Discount
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Traveler2

Good topic. Since I am ineligible for corporate or government rates, most of my business or leisure travel is booked online at AAA rates. It usually presents the best value. 

After booking, I'll call Elite Reservations or the hotel directly with specific requests and ask about comp upgrade availability. Usually the front desk knows if a trade show, wedding or group event will impact availability weeks and/or months in advance.  I won't even attempt to compete and rebook elsewhere even if the rate is a little bit higher.

While time consuming, the practice works for me.  On occasion, multiple calls are needed because availability can be dynamic.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Room type cannot be guaranteed, but Elite status should hold some sway.  As TJCNY tells us in his reply a personal call will help.  Also, being comfortable with the folks at reception will work wonders as well.

Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Although there have been some posts on this board supporting better perks, etc for full fare customers, there's nothing in the Marriott T&C about consideration for upgrade having anything to do with the rate you pay.  I personally have never had a problem with this, and get some type of room upgrade nearly every stay, so I don't anticipate this being a problem.  In addition to the advice already given,  you might consider calling platinum reservations and ask them to add an upgrade request notation to your reservation.  At least then the hotel gets advance notice/request so "maybe" you won't need to replow that ground at check-in.  Good luck and safe travels.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I often wonder the same thing.  Rarely am I ever asked to show my AAA card, but I don't seem to get any special room.  I HAVE noticed, however, when checking room rates (both special and supposedly discounted) online that the AAA rate is often much higher than the regular rate. In that case, maybe there is a better room involved.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Being old (over 62) the Marriott Senior Discount is often the most economical of all the non-affiliation and restricted rates. 

It's pegged at 15% off the rack and when available, the weekend rates.  ID's will be checked, except in my case, where the gray hair and wizened visage make it clear that I qualify.

I am reminded of the notice at a badge room in my Army days, which read:  "If you want a better photograph, bring a better face!"

ricoviaje Platinum

I have also been booking on line using my AAA discount for several years and have never been treated diferently; upgrades are awarded more often than not.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Deals/ConfigurablePromotions/AAA/AAA_revgen_brands.jpg

The great news is that AAA rates are offered at all of the Marriott brands shown above, including the newest brand in the Marriott portfolio, Autograph Collection.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...