8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2010 6:24 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

General Musings of a Platinum Premier

chazdawg Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I was pondering what to do about an unrecieved Platunum arrival gift at the Fairfield Inn I'm staying at this week.  I found it amusing that the guy at the desk asked me for the appropriate ID for the rate I booked...handed me a prepped key in an "elite" sleeve...but never acknowledged my status or my gift option.  I'm going to assume that he automatically gave me points...that seems to be the standard practice for the lower end properties I've seen lately.  So my dilemma is do I want to argue over the $25 platinum guarantee...or just tell them they need to step up their game in regards to elites.

While considering this...I realized something sort of disappointing about the program.  If I check in and out of 7 different hotels in a week...each different hotel will offer me a platinum arrival gift.  On the flip side...I currently live full time in a Townplace while I work out my next living arrangement...and I get a whopping 200 points for the entire duration of my stay.  That seems a tad "cheap," no?  I spend months in a hotel to get 200 bonus points...but can accumulate 1400 points in one week if I stayed at 7 different Townplace locally.

I also find it amusing that I'm going to have more than 365 nights in Marriott this year.  With my carryover from last year...the nights from my credit card...and my additional business travel on top of my personal travel...living in the Townplace will easily put me over 365...that's a first for me...I've laready exceeded my previous record of 176.  Not so sure my girlfriend is as happy about living in the hotel as I am...but she can't argue the logic.  It's only slightly more expensive than renting a 2 bedroom apartment when you consider all the utilities.

Like I said...Musings of P.P. member...

ChazDawg

• Re: General Musings of a Platinum Premier
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi ChazDawg,

Considering how much time you spend at Marriotts, you should call the Rewards line about the treatment you received at the Fairfield Inn.  The problem with both Fairfield and Courtyard is that they are franchised (or that is my understanding) so you are liable to get different treatment at different locales. The only way to make sure Marriott standards are met is to say so in one way or another.

I've discovered in my own way that Marriott does pay attention to us individually.  I worried at the end of last year since I was going to be on sabbatical starting in June whether I should keep my 73 nights as 23 rollover toward gold (since I won't be staying AS frequently) or to stay a few non-stays in December locally. I decided against the latter. While I have not gotten any rollover nights, I noticed that when I got Platinum status early last year, they gave me a card valid through February 2011.

The difference in my own case, I suspect, is that I stay almost exclusively in Europe and the UK, so it is always very expensive.  That doesn't mean someone who stays every day of the year in a Marriott deserves any less (good grief, you deserve an all-time loyalty award!), but it does tell me that Marriott monitors our accounts and makes judgments based on how and where we travel as well as frequency.

All that said, check your points for the 'free gift' you weren't offered. Non-posting of points on a timely basis has been my one regular complaint the few times I stay at Marriott brands in the US.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jackpot time for you!  All those nights.  I sympathize, and hope that folks will realize your efforts are helping their bottom line.

Suggestion: have a chat with every manager you come into contact with of any Marriott brand and remind them of your uber loyalty.

I think that if enough of us make the effort to retrain the management and the associates we come in contact with eventually the word will get out that we're (especially you) are important to them, and that they need to pay close attention to us, (especially you).

We are the reason that Marriott is doing as well as it is and we should never be taken for granted.  Thanks for a thoughtful post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Stepping Stones makes a wonderful point.  Having checked these posts ever since I started Insiders, it has been clear to me that Marriott IS paying attention to us. It may not always seem that way, but it does seem to work out.

ProfChiara

kevanlr Platinum

Hi Chaz,

My experience has shown that Fairfield's don't give a choice for the Platinum arrival gift, they simply automatically give points. I've stayed at several Fairfield's (not by choice) and asked each time after checking in about the arrival gift, and they responded by saying they just do points.

Hope that helps.

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with you on the TownPlace points.  Additionally, If you spent the same per night price at a full service Marriott the points would be more. Doesn't really add up. 

As for your night accrual, don't forget about potential bonus nights (if Marriott repeats the promotion this year).  Last year my annual accrual was borderline absurd due to this promotion which tacked on an additional 60 nights and brought my 2009 total nights to a whopping 383!    

My own P. P. musings are... First, if nights are the measure by which Marriott Reward members advance though the tiers of membership, doesn't bonus nights and rollover seem to devalue them?  And second, if 100 nights are all I need to renew P. P. status, then why keep counting after 100?  Has Marriott considered this flaw in their plan?  What's to keep me or anyone from staying past 100 nights a year?  There is no incentive other than the mind numbing pursuit of points.  

Troy

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Bikesdestroy,

Those nights over 100 count towards your Lifetime status.

unclesam Platinum 3 Reviews

CHAZDAWG,

How do you become a platinum premier?  I was recently told about this but I have never gotten anything on it.  Can someone explain.

Thanks

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Chazdawg  -  congrats/condolences for the point total for 2010. 

I'm shocked at your recent experience.  Based on what I read on this forum, it would seem that only competitors of Marriott act unseemly.  Cool  Anyway, best of luck figuring out your next move, maybe you can be in the remake of UpInTheAir and replace clooney.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...