7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2010 7:46 PM by hawaiiowner RSS

No Blackout Dates is a Lie!

rjmoman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In the past two weeks I tried to book a room at FOUR different marriotts in the OKC area using my points and every time they were blacked out for points.  I called thePlantium Reservation Line and was told they may have run out of the what they alloted for points rooms.  That sounds like a blackout loop hole to me.  Essentially, a property can only have one room for points and once that is gone, everyone else is blacked out.  This was at a Fairfield, Residence Inn, Courtyard and a Rennaic and not even a holiday and it is OKC.  I am very disappointed especially since I am a dedicated Plantium member.

• Re: No Blackout Dates is a Lie!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

RJ

More than a year has elapsed since Marriott implemented the No Blackout Dates edict.  There are properties that use rate tactics to evade the No Blackout Dates policy.  Marriott corporate audits properties for compliance.  Consider reviewing the discussion, MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

drewtipton Gold

You could always just reserve the rooms and then do the "pay with points" option at the end of your stay--but I think that actually costs a bit more...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

yunicorner Platinum

Sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with the OKC hotels. I'm not sure if you tried the Springhill Suites in Moore, OK but it is one of the new Springhill Suites. Very trendy hotel with cool design features. The staff is also very friendly. There are good restaurants a few exits south on 35. I found that it's very easy to drive around OKC and everything seemed to be a short drive away (including downtown and Rt 66) so try Moore and you may have better luck!

luv2travl Platinum

Good Morning rjmoman,

Since I look at my points as our vacation piggy bank, you also might consider buying $1000 worth of marriott cheques for 135,000 points and pay for a cash reservation with these cheques. 

The positives in your situation are:

• you actually may end up saving points
    • if you are enrolled in the megabonus, the nights do count towards the promotion as well as your overall standing

The negatives may be:

• you cash in 135,000 points upfront
    • you have to use the cheques in a year
    • they can not be sent electronically to you, so leave enough time for postal mail
    • you will have to compare cash versus point redemption for the various hotels to see if it is a good deal

Just some things to consider.  It is always frustrating to have to deal with this problem.  I would also check back with the hotels, because I think sometimes hotels release rooms to be used for points, if they have an excess of available rooms.

Good Luck!

lisaweneck Platinum

Agreed.  I have also run into this situation. This is a dispicable loophole and Marriott should not be tauting no blackout dates because it is not true!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"This is a dispicable loophole and Marriott should not be tauting no blackout dates because it is not true!"

LisaWeneck

Marriott corporate audits properties for compliance.  Consider reviewing the discussion, MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com

hawaiiowner Platinum

This is what I have been saying since the MR "improvements" were introduced.  No blackout dates is different from last standard room availability, and last standard room availablity is what Hilton and Starwood have.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...