4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2010 4:42 PM by redwood RSS

Honor system at River Gauche

retired Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just finished desert in the executive lounge at the River Gauche in Paris. The staff really goes out of thier way to make you feel welcome. My issue is that the only thing they ask is you fill out honor system slip to pay for any wine or beer etc. While watching people come in for about half a hour four couples had wine, none filled out the honor slip. When the staff asked one couple to fill a slip out they did so then took it with them so they wouldn't have to pay! During this time another couple got up and snuck out before the staff member noticed them. My wife and I left so I'm not sure about the other two couples. I'm hoping they did fill out a slip. I Know we like the lounge open and it really is great that Marriott provides this for us when we travel. I'm thinking at this rate you may have to go to the bar to order a drink. We receive free food, soda, water, etc. come on people Marriott treats us right it might be time for us to step up and do the right thing also.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Honor system at River Gauche
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Once upon a time a GM told me that in order to break even, one of three guests needed to pay for their drink tab in the Lounge.  It seems only right that if I get something I should pay for it.  Wish everyone felt as you and I do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Theft of alcholic beverages has gotten so bad at the West Des Moines Marriott that they don't even put it out in the evenings anymore.  There are empty glasses available and if you want a drink you give an empty glass to the attendant who in turn goes into the lounge kitchen and pours the drink, fills out the honor slip, and has the guest sign it on the spot.  Amazing how tight (and sometimes down right dishonest) some folks are.

james30 Platinum

Unfortunately this is the world we live in today.  I like the idea of Marriott reserving the drinks in the back and having each guest sign as they are served.  If anyone has a problem with that, I'd prefer they left Marriott as I don't care to be in his/her company.

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

I'm a regular at the Rive Gauche and the Honor system is new - until mid Feb the drinks were all free until 9.30pm. I guess teh honor system brings into line with US Hotels and perhaps reflects the straitened times at present.

That said I was caught out the first week it was introduced when I had not seen the slips and would have left without signing had the regular attendant not spoken to me!

All that said, the Rive Gauche lounge is first class.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...