0 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 2:57 PM by platinumstar RSS

.Marriott Downtown - New York City

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just back from another great stay at the Marriott Downtown in New York. Was upgraded to a King corner room (like a junior suite) which was very comfortable and well furnished. I used to stay at the Marriott Marquis but this can often be expensive and because of its size, can appear to be a bit impersonal. The Downtown Marriott is welcoming in all aspects, a normal lobby that appears calm and collected. The front desk team are excellent, friendly and always seem to be very appreciative of Platinum guests. The hotel has a great executive lounge on the top floor (38th) with stunning views of the Hudson river. Breakfast in the lounge was very good indeed, but please bear in mind it finishes at 9am and is not open at weekends. Their evening canapes were excellent, infact I had 2 evenings where they provided really good pasta dishes that would be enough for dinner, and they were really tasty too. There is the obligitory Starbucks at the back of the hotel which is always handy. Unfortunately, Roys (asian fusion) restaurant closed down a while ago and the space is only used for breakfast (not tried as I used the exec lounge). Food is available in their sports bar but I'd rather eat in peace than have noise from the tv screens.

Shame this hotel closed their swimming pool and sauna last year - it made it unique amongst Marriott hotels in Manhattan and was the deciding factor of me originally staying there, but I guess the economy has dictated the closure of the pool and the staff that manned it. However, cant seem to see why the tiny (but pleasant) sauna in the mens locker room was closed too as it was heated on demand. It was a welcoming retreat after a hard day! The rates at this hotel at weekends can also be very good compared with others in Manhattan and it's just a couple of blocks to get to Century 21 for your bargain buys! It's also a 10 minute walk to South Street Seaport where unknown to some ,is another branch of Abercrombie & Fitch and unlike their 5th Avenue flagship store, you just walk in, and it's not busy (plus they also have items for clearance on a regualr basis which 5th Ave does not). Rector St subway is just around the corner and its easy to get into Times Square on the no 1 train. I highly recommend this hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...