3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2010 9:17 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Lessons for hotels this time around

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

"We close the restaurant and serve sandwiches in the bar, calling it dinner. We are offering van service on demand and calling ourselves full-service. We try to charge premium prices for corporate business while closing our concierge lounges. We call a customer “preferred” because they stay twice in the same quarter. We then reward the loyalty of that customer by giving them levels to strive for like gold, diamond, platinum or super-duper titanium. And then, as if that were not enough, we give them a bag of chips and a bottle of water as a thank you."

Quoted from "Lessons for hotels this time around."  Written by Mark Heron of Hotel and Motel Management, this opinionated article presents a behind-the-scenes snapshot of the challenges hoteliers face and the impact on guest experience with a look-backward lessons-learned edge and a fast-forward look ahead:

"A customer paying $99 for a room tonight is not going to think positively when the rate goes back to $149 in the fourth quarter. Will brand loyalty continue to exist if we continually blur the lines?

The phrase, 'super-duper titanium' draws a striking parallel to Insiders discussion about a Plutonium tier. What are your thoughts?  Are Elite lines getting too blurry?  What is Marriott not getting?

• Re: Lessons for hotels this time around
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

TJC,

Nice report!

Sometimes I don't appreciate how nice Marriott properties are until I stay at other hotels.  Just checking in and seeing the outfits, and style of the help makes me think I am checking into the "Bates" place!

Please keep the info. coming!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

!soapbox alert!  I have long felt that the distinctions are being blurred and that the distance between Gold and Platinum was so minimal that it could be eliminated and only Platinum members would know!

If there is a Plutonium level to come then make it actually so fantastic that I can climb off that soapbox and rest on my laurels, assuming that is possible! (:-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

'soapbox alert'

Very clever, the imagery speaks for itself, LOL.

In all seriousness, Hilton counts Redemption Nights as elite qualifying nights.  There may be a lesson-to-be-applied.  To reduce the corporate liability incurred by Marriott Rewards members holding onto high point balances, and more importantly accelerate the recovery of hotel occupancy, why not promote members to redeem their points and give members another benefit, Elite Qualifying Bonus Nights?

Make sure to express your viewpoint on the brand that has the best loyalty program: VOTE! and join the conversation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...