1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 12:19 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Environmentally Friendly Less is More!!

openworldsite Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Spent the night at the Fairfield Inn in Baton Rouger off Essen Lane, and when I walked into the hallway to where my bedroom was located, I thought someone had lit 50 candles.  The smell almost knocked me off my feet.  According to the front desk clerk, she said it was the deoderizer that they used to clean the hotel, and offered to allow me to switch rooms, but the next room was just as bad.

Well I have asthma, and this type of situation is the reason I chose the Marriott, Now, I will have to consider if Marriott will continue to be the hotel chain that I use.  I spent my night in an urban envrionment, on the first floor with my window open and feeling unsecure.  Please Marriot, remind your staff that Less is More in an environmentally friendly hotel chain.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Hooray for Allergen-Free Rooms
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/allergy-free01.jpg

Above:  Bob Herrold speaking on PureRoom and allergen-free rooms at Marriott's Residence Inn.  See YourNetworkNow

"Well I have asthma, and this type of situation is the reason I chose the Marriott"

Openworldsite - Hot button alert - this is a great topic!  Thank you for posting.  Upper respiratory conditions such as you describe, along with chronic allergic reactions can prove very challenging in a hotel enviroment. To your point, Marriott is among the many hotel brands responding to increased guest concerns, moi aussi.

Last year, out of 70+ properties I stayed at, 9 of them checked me into rooms where the prior guest did not observe the smoke-free policy.  All moved me to a different room, but 5 of them had to move me twice because the second room was also contaminated by residual tobacco smoke.

The disconnect at these properties is threefold.  Failure to monitor/enforce the smoke-free policy, failure of management/housekeeping to recover the guest room to a satisfactory condition, and failure to communicate the unsatisfactory room condition to the Front Desk.

What you describe is the reverse.  Failure of the Front Desk to alert management and housekeeping about guest feedback that certain aerosols, cleaning fluids can trigger adverse upper respiratory conditions. This oversight creates a potential health risk that Housekeeping, Front Desk Management and Loss Prevention should be aware of, IMO. 

Marriott cannot possibly deliver upon it's promise or provide you with an experience that meets/exceeds your expectations if the operation is out of sync.  At Fairfield Inns in particular, there is a Guest Promise card on the nightstand.  If the hotel fails to deliver upon their promise, the guest deserves a refund and/or compensation or both.

Three suggestions:

• Consider sending your feedback to Customer.Care@Marriott.com  
    • Check out Pureroom.com for more information about allergen-free hotel environments and hotel brands that adhere to PURE standards.
    • Marriott has been offering Allergy-Friendly guest rooms across their brands since 2008.  Consider the extra step to find out what is available as part of your trip planning.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...