7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2010 4:11 AM by donethat RSS

Stanford Court on points - what to expect?

caldrich Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will probably be staying at the Stanford Court Ren in October for 10 nights on points.

As a gold member, will I probably get upgraded? What is the CL like and is it open on weekends?

Thanks in advance for info...

• Re: Stanford Court on points - what to expect?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Upgrading is dependent upon availability and availability in popular locations varies widely by day of the week.  Since you are planning to spend 10 nights consider a paid/points approach.  Try and find the lowest rate, and book the first night as paid and request comp upgrade.  Book the balance or any portion thereof on points.  Secure the upgrade, it's less likely and very poor form to move a guest once they're checked in unless the room is dissatisfactory.  If it is, the length of your stay will carry weight in getting a better room.  Btw in the US, an open CL on the weekends is the exception.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

caldrich Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks TJC. That's a great suggestion for maximizing the perks while minimizing the out-of-pocket expenses.

Although I've stayed at many Marriotts in the US over the years, this is my first year as a gold and I'm looking forward to seeing a goodie now and then.

I have to admit I've started off a tad spoiled since I coughed up 120k points for 3 nights at the Chancery Court last month and was upgraded to a large and lovely room on the Club floor. The CL was open all weekend and it was a great experience.

OTOH, I also had a paid weekend stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott in Feb where I got nothing special - not even a room with a view or a bottle of water. No CL, no breakfast, just "I'm sorry but we don't offer that" when I asked.

Next up - 4 nights at a CY in Orlando next week. Fingers are crossed, I'm hoping for an upgraded room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Let's use Instant Redemption carefully!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

you're right about the borrowing of ideas.  It's like the Democrat that voted for the war before he voted against the war. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Caldrich

My pleasure.  Consider reviewing prior discussion about the Ren Stanford Court including, VPPlayers' Four choices in San Francisco which has tips about getting around the area.

A former colleague worked at the Stanford Court before Marriott acquired the property, so my stays over the years always exceeded expectations.

Despite the fact that rooms at this property tend to be small, it's not a measure of the hotel's exemplary service record.  Last year, JW Marriott presented the Marriott Award of Excellence to the most deserving associate among a field of several.  Be assured that even the most exacting guest - and I use that term euphemistically - is treated with care.

Having said that, call the hotel directly after you've booked online.  Alert them that online reservations no longer has the capability to enter 'Remarks' and that you have special requests.  Discuss the upgrade situation since you plan to stay 10 nights and ask about the availability of a corner parlor suite.

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/s/sfosc/phototour/sfosc_phototour69.jpg

Above: Parlor Suite

Tact and diplomacy has an edge over originality and status.  As a best practice, the key is to connect in a way that compels the Front Desk to take ownership and accountability so that your expectations are not only met, but exceeded.

1kking Platinum

I've stayed here several times, will be there again this coming week. Nice upgrade to facility, now have a C-lounge open, upgrades I've found very hard to get, and need to watch-out for room's on same side of hotel as trolley - very noise. Also, C-lounge closed Friday afternoon - Sunday am, open for Sunday evening.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

You may get upgraded, not a big deal. Ask from room w/ view.  Recent renovation is great.  Also, finally added concierge room after all these years. Nice work out room too.  Restaurant has good food.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...