4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2010 6:34 PM by nuhusker RSS

Brandon Florida

marriothopper Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Let me start with a 'disclaimer': I love Springhill Suites properties. My experience with them has been very positive. While I still will pick a full service Marriott over the other choices if it's an option--I love Marriotts--when the time/price/location forces an alternative, I'll go with the Suites every time. Over Courtyard, over Residence Inn.

Except when I go to Brandon Florida.

The hotel is billed as 'new'. And, it is. The lobby is great, the staff is fine. But, it all goes downhill after that.

Rooms are small. I would have done better going to a Courtyard. Breakfast is the same every day--hope you like eggs and sausage or bacon.

Next time, I'll go back to the Residence Inn or the Courtyard. Or, better yet, commute from Tampa. Lots of great properties there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Brandon Florida
    tjcnewyork Platinum

MarriottHopper

Are you referring to the SH Brandon on Falkenburg Rd that's about 10 miles east of Tampa?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriothopper Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry about that. Yes, that's the property. The nearest big cross street is Brandon Blvd.

The breakfasts did include all of the standard add ons--Cereal, bars etc. The disappointing aspect was that the hot meal was the same every day. Part of what I had found enjoyable about the other SHS was that they varied the hot serving. It was a great touch that really made the stay special.

And, of course, the other full service Marriotts in Tampa can be 2x the price. The Waterside is great, as is the International Center Renaissance. Even the West Shore Marriott is a great step up.

But, in addition, the DT Tampa Residence Inn is nice, as is the Airport SHS. All are a much better option.

Beyond all that, my basic point is still the same: This SpringHill Suites was not as good an experience as many others have been.

tjcnewyork Platinum

You're right about that property having comparatively smaller suites.  But, compared to the Courtyard Brandon, the SpringHill Suites is 300 sqft / King bedroom suite which is substantially larger than CY w/ 180 sqft for a King. The Residence Inn is much larger at 500 sqft but limited to Queen beds.

If I'm travelling alone for a night, a queen might be 'ok', but w/my wife, we prefer a king and space upwards of 400 sqft if we're staying 2 or more nights.  And any day of the week, Residence Inn typically has better bkfst offerings.  The tradeoff w/RI is 5 points/$US vs 10 points. 

Now Tampa waterside is another story.  Standard kings are less than 400 sqft and if commuting, you have to pay for parking.  You'll have CL but almost 2x the rate, and its closed on weekends.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm surprised this SHS didn't offer better breakfast choices like waffles, cereals, breakfast bars, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, in addition to the eggs, sausage, etc that you mentioned.  This really is a step down from other SHS if this is the case.  I have actually stayed at both the FFI and CY in Brandon as well as the Tampa Waterside and TPA Marriotts and would do so again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...