7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2010 7:00 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Boston here I com

bostonbest Member
Currently Being Moderated

I will be visiting the Boston area in April and I was wondering what good seafood restaurant I could eat at. Also, I am pretty certain what places I want to see while there, but any new sugestions will be taken in consideration. Thanks!

• Re: Boston here I com
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"what good seafood restaurant"

For convenience, on the home page of Marriott Rewards Insiders, click Boston under the list of US Travel Destinations.  That will bring up all of the posts relevant to that destination.

Where in the Boston area are you planning to stay, how long, will you have a car and what type of seafood do you prefer?  The seacoast towns on Cape Ann, North of Boston; Portsmouth in New Hampshire and southern Maine are w/in an hour radius of Boston's Custom House, the Marriott Long Wharf Hotel and the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf.  Just thinking about New England seafood activates the salivary glands and appetite!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bostonbest Member

I will be staying in and around the North End.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

If you're staying in or around the North End, Luccas is right there.  Todd English's Kingfish and McCormick & Schmicks are in the heart of Quincy Market a short walk away. On Long Wharf, there's the Chart House and last, but not least there's Sea Grille @ Rowes Wharf on Atlantic.

Enjoy!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi BostonBest,

You might also want to try Turner Fisheries in West Copley Place and East Coast Grill and Raw Bar in Cambridge.

If you get further north to Maine -- as everyone should :) -- there are wonderful seafood restaurants in Portland and along the coast.

ProfChiara

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

BB,

How about Legal Seafood?

It's never got better for me!

The one I like is close to the Marriott CP

Have a great time!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with Jerry that Legal Seafoods is always a great hit. I lived in the Boston area for 20+ years and love everything about the place, definitely including the food.

Have you been to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum?  In my opinion, it's far superior to the wonderful MFA and very much reflects its eccentric original owner in a wide range of art from all periods.

Having lived in Boston for so long, I sadly stopped going to so many of the sites that I fell in love with when I moved there for college.  But wandering around the North End and enjoying its great Italian food, going to see the USS Constitution, or a trip out to Concord/Lexington are well worth your while.

I haven't been to the Union Oyster House in years, but it too used to be great.

Have fun!
    ProfChiara

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

BB,

Here are some favorites!

Don't forget The Marriott CP

L'Espalier
    774 Boylston St. 
    Boston, MA 02199 
    617-262-3023 
    Visit website 
    Cuisine: French, Contemporary 
    Price Rating: $$$$$ 
    Dress Code: Jackets & ties suggested
    Moving around the corner to the Mandarin Oriental, Boston, hasn’t changed much: Frank McClelland’s French-inspired New American cuisine is still exquisitely built from impeccable local ingredients. Patrons still choose from prix-fixe and multi-course lunches and dinners at eye-popping prices, though few would challenge their value given the parade of topnotch local game, fish, shellfish and produce embellished with luxury flourishes like foie gras, all beautifully plated. (Vegetarian gourmands can dine exceptionally well here.) First courses may include chicken consommé with root vegetable chartreuse and black trumpet mushrooms while mains pair rack of Colorado lamb with brown butter gnocchi and parsnip purée, and whole Maine lobster with roasted red potatoes, chorizo and braised greens. Stylishly spare dining areas in austere gray and taupe tones dominate the space, while the book-lined back room provides a library-like oasis. The subtle, highly-polished service doesn’t miss a beat, and a superb wine list and cheese cart round out the kind of experience most patrons reserve for big-number birthdays, anniversaries or business deals. But compared to its intimately scaled former home in a baronial Back Bay townhouse, the space looks luxe-hotel-generic, and the special-occasion atmosphere is marred by hotel guests in artfully distressed jeans and cashmere hoodies. 

No. 9 Park
    9 Park St. 
    Boston, MA 02108 
    617-742-9991 
    Visit website 
    Cuisine: Italian, French 
    Price Rating: $$$$$ 
    Dress Code: Upscale casual
    The right chef in the right place at the right time makes No. 9 Park just right for Boston. Barbara Lynch's dining destination has it all, down to the interior design---neither trendy nor stuffy, but rather smart and subdued enough to make everyone feel comfy. In its Beacon Hill location, the restaurant draws serious foodies, expense-accounters and “oohing” suburbanites jockeying for space at the always happening bar or debating whether to splurge on the seven-course tasting menu at a table. After all, it's the cooking that has earned No. 9 such a following. Lynch's pastas are famously topnotch, including the rich prune-stuffed gnocchi with seared foie gras in a vin santo glaze; entrées, though elegant, retain their rustic roots, as in the duet of lamb, chickpea panisse, black olive vinaigrette and blood orange. Desserts follow the seasonal route, their cheeky inclusion of savory ingredients is a constant---for instance, a caramelized pineapple cheesecake, black pepper glace and coconut. All that said, we're happiest among the bar-hoppers, mingling with the gracious and talented mixologists on staff while grazing from the slightly less dear bar menu, which may offer a dish of handmade pappardelle, andouille sausage and smoked kale. 

Clio
    370 Commonwealth Ave. 
    Boston, MA 02215 
    617-536-7200 
    Visit website 
    Price Rating: $$$$ 
    Dress Code: Business casual
    Since its debut, Clio and its chef Ken Oringer---who cut his teeth in San Francisco's trendsetting fusion kitchen, Silks---have perched at the top of Boston's high-end dining scene. Peter Niemitz's dynamically appointed room juxtaposes leopard-skin rugs and plush banquettes with a neutral palette to create a mood that's serene but not staid---a fitting backdrop for a similarly alchemical menu. Combining the tastes of East and West is not exactly novel these days, but Oringer prances between French and Asian cuisines with a Zen-like calmness and technique that can border on wizardry; throughout the menu, Oringer's fondness for and way with exotica are on display, be it in signatures like the lacquered foie gras or the butter-basted lobster, or treats like crispy skin organic chicken with morel mushrooms, brioche, Parmesan cheese and vin jaune d’Arbois. Similarly precious sensibilities show themselves at adjacent Uni, his tiny, exquisite sashimi bar. 

Market by Jean Georges
    100 Stuart Street 
    Boston, MA 02116 
    617-310-6790 
    Cuisine: Eclectic, Fusion 
    Cancellation Policy: Please call as soon as plans change. 
    Located at the W Boston in the heart of the theatre district on Stuart Street, Jean-Georges Vongerichten's Market concept of the "hotel as a home" extends to the restaurant as a casual family kitchen. Inspired by the casual, simple elegance of the setting, Jean-Georges has created a relaxed menu that emphasizes fresh, locally produced ingredients. Emphasizing comfort and creativity, the menu reinvents classic dishes with eclectic flair, allowing guests to try new flavor combinations and explore spices from other regions, all while remaining close to home. Dishes crafted with seasonal market ingredients and local fish, can be selected from enticing categories on the menu such as Simply Raw, Fish, Meat and a Market tasting menu to enliven the senses and satisfy any craving. The multicultural menu features French, Asian and Italian inspirations coupled with alluringly familiar cuisine. Market perfectly translates the spirit of Jean-Georges' cuisine. 

KO Prime
    90 Tremont St. 
    Boston, MA 02108 
    617-772-0202 
    Visit website 
    Cuisine: Steakhouse 
    Price Rating: $$$$ 
    The “KO” stands for Ken Oringer---and Boston’s foodies know what that means: a culinary escapade led by a fearlessly experimental chef. Yet “Prime” points to a steakhouse theme, which rarely brooks adventure. Where shall the twain meet? In chef de cuisine Jamie Bissonnette. Oringer has brought the whiz kid on board from Eastern Standard, where he made a name for himself introducing mainstream diners to the joys of organ meats. Here, in the kitchen of the Nine Zero Hotel’s nightclub-sexy eatery---all glossy leather and cowhide print---he’s playing with the animals in every way, shape and form. And you’d do well to join him. After all, you can get the same standard cuts at any of the city’s chophouses for about the same price; what you’ll only find here are playfully funky creations like ridiculously good bone marrow with shredded oxtail “marmalade” and boudin blanc with spaghetti squash, as well as Bissonnette-style bistro plates like roast chicken with purée and mushrooms. 

Toro
    1704 Washington St. 
    Boston, MA 02118 
    617-536-4300 
    Cuisine: Small Plates, Spanish, Tapas 
    Price Rating: $$$ 
    Dress Code: Casual
    Ken Oringer’s empire has grown in all directions in a short period of time---from New French destination Clio to sashimi bar Uni to red-hot taqueria La Verdad to schmoozy steakhouse KO Prime---but dollar for dollar, this tapas bar remains our favorite. Displaying all the brick-and-wood rusticity of its progenitors, it contains an open kitchen with a chef de cuisine, the serious and talented John Critchley, who turns out Spanish tidbits, authentic in spirit as well as in their ingredients---from smoked tongue with lentils to delightful salt-cod fritters with deep-fried lemon rings. The grilled corn sprinkled with cotija cheese is all it’s cracked up to be, while anything Critchley does with foie gras deserves at least as much attention. Meanwhile, wine from the exclusively Spanish list flows---especially cava, served as it is in containers called porrons, which raise drinking to an art form. The intimately festive mood thus created isn't even dampened by a tab that's rather higher than it would be in Toro's Barcelonian counterparts. Prepare for a weekend wait, icy service, and plenty of eye candy whenever you go. 

Ten Tables
    597 Centre St. 
    Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 
    617-524-8810 
    Visit website 
    Price Rating: $$ 
    Dress Code: Casual
    Jamaica Plain's Ten Tables turns its downside---the name says it all---into a virtue. There's nary a curtain, much less a wall, to divide the kitchen from the wee dining room; amidst the resulting bonhomie, customers get dinner and a show. Both are a treat. Owner Krista Kranyak and crew graft a bit of Gallic sophistication onto ingredients both homemade and locally sourced, then nudge them into wonderfully eclectic forms. The menu changes frequently, but you can always rely on the charcuterie, pastas and vegetarian dishes. From revised classics such as house-made wild boar sausage with juniper-scented sauerkraut to original creations like poached hake with nutty farro, punchy salsa verde and pepper relish, the flavors are always flash fresh and bright. And the four-course vegetarian prix-fixe, served every night but Wednesday, is a local godsend---as thoughtfully prepared as it is downright cheap. A Cambridge location, meanwhile, satisfies diners on the other side of the river. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...