1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 4:59 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott Cheques

luv2travl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been interested in finding out information about the Marriott Reward Cheques. Since the information was hard to find out, I thought I would share what I discovered.

·        Type in “Marriott cheques” in the search portion on the Insiders page and it will bring you to the most recent discussion with helpful information.

·        To find out how to order Marriott cheques, go to Marriott’s home page, open Marriott rewards, and then “Use Marriott reward points”. Go to the far right side and choose platinum ( or silver or gold) rewards. When that opens you will see Marriott cheques as an option. That will give you the information on ordering. You can order a $100 cheque for 25,000 points (not a good deal in my mind ) or $1000 cheque (20 $50 cheques) for 135,000 points. This option is available to any elite member.

I have never used them, but this is my summary and I would appreciate your feedback.

Advantages:

·        use them like cash at any Marriott for either the room cost, dining, etc.

·        use them at a Marriott Vacation Club property that may not be available for points.

·        use them with any published rate such as military rate, low season rate, or a package plan,

·        use if your desired hotel is not offering point reward redemption for the dates you want to travel

·        use if you want/need more nights to achieve a certain level. You still receive night and bonus credit for the stay. So that with a $1000 cheque, you will probably receive 10,000 points (except at RI and TPS) plus your elite bonus (platinum 50%) which means that in stead of paying 135,000 points you are actually only paying 120,000 points.

·        They are transferrable, so you can give them to friends and family or donate them.

Disadvantages :

·        they expire 1 year from the date they are ordered.

·        you need to leave enough time to have them mailed to you

·        you do not get change back if the cheque is more than the bill

·        you have to really check to make sure that your cash rate is better than a reward redemption. Remember to factor in taxes in your comparison since generally the reward stays are not taxed.

I did a quick check on a couple of full service Marriotts in 4 popular destinations (San Francisco, San Antonio, Orlando, and Washington DC) for both a 2 and a 5 night stay (5th night free with points ) in April comparing points versus cheques and found mixed results. In some places points was a better deal, but a reward redemption was not available.

I know that some of you have used this option. What do you feel are the pros and cons?

Thanks for your thoughts!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Cheques
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

Very informative!  You've covered the bases. 

Like Marriott, banks and credit card companies offer 'rewards' including Marriott Cheques (identical to what Marriott issues). My wife and I redeem them to cover dining and spa treatments. 

Each Marriott Cheque has a unique serial number. At check-out, the Front Desk associate inputs the serial number to record the form of payment and 'deactivate' the Cheque #. 

Like remitting cash, the Cheque earns 10 Marriott Rewards points per $US except at Residence Inn or TownePlace Suites which only earn 5 points per $US.

When covering room and incidentals using a Cheque, place the balance on a credit card.  That way the Cheque is maximized in terms of earning points on the eligible revenue.  If your credit card earns rewards, then you have the added value of getting rewards for the tax too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...