80 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2017 11:53 AM by iahflyr RSS

When Did You Sign Up for Marriott Rewards?

jw99 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I hate to admit this, but I first joined in 1985. When did you join?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When Did You Sign Up for Marriott Rewards?
    bacon14 Platinum

Can you see this somewhere on your account?  I honestly have no idea when I actually signed up!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jw99 Platinum

might be in your profile or on the card they send...

peymanagement Platinum

i am a newbe 2009.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I joined Marriott Rewards in the summer of 1989 or maybe 1990, but I think '89..

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I can't remember.   Maybe 2007?  Don't think I got serious about it until about - 2009?  I've really only been traveling for about the past ten years. Prior to that, we camped.  Lots of camping. Then came the motor home. Then the folks bought the timeshare, and a new era was born.  Late bloomer here.

I'll bet you didn't have a "Cousin Eddie" to deal with when using the motor home did ya? 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Perfect!!

seatexan Platinum

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Lol, are you poking fun at our motor home days?   We had some pretty spectacular stays right on the beach with gourmet dinners prepared on the barbie, wine, amazing ocean sunsets and weather that can only be found in Paradise.  Hard to beat and the price was something like $30/night (though 5 mpg did do some damage to that savings.)  Good times, actually.

Okay, just found out I joined 4/19/2006. Good info about the online chat now box, mustanggt!

What, me poke fun?    Are you just seeing that for the first time today? 

My Dad had a motor home for a year or so when I was off in the Army so I wasn't part of that touring experience.

dlplatinum Gold

February 1988 when my business travel began.  I had a smart manager who told me to sign up for every affinity program available.  I've done 500+ nights with Marriott and 800+ with Hilton.

erc Platinum

Fortunate enough to join when it began as Honored Guests in 1983 (six hours before jerrycoin ).

Marquis Club was a part of the Honored Guests program with special benefits.

I'm hoping this is the page that shows an early ad for joining - if so, an interesting read of benefits (if not, sorry, apparently, I don't know what the heck I'm doing )

https://books.google.com/books?id=wV8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=%22CLUB+MARQUIS%22+%22marriott%22+%221984%22&source=bl&ots=RNk6cK1DGs&sig=BT1oRw5sOSIZJFE02TZ2o1dC1Cw&hl=en&ei=qhBGTZy9EoytgQfCm4TzAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&sqi=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

jw99 Platinum

Those check cashing privileges were sweet!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

erc  The $200-Plus Reservation Guarantee was interesting.  Apparently, if you didn't have a room that you had reserved, you were given a $200 check, they quickly got you a room at a nearby hotel, AND they gave you your 1st night free the next 2 times you visited Marriottt.  If they followed through with the guarantee without jumping through hoops, being walked would not be such a bad thing.

superchief1 Platinum

I signed up for the original Marquis (I think) program when it was launched, I think it was in 1979 or 80. I still remember signing up at the front desk of the Indianapolis Marriott. I also joined the Courtyard program which I recall being a 'card punch' program (5 nights =1 free night). I hope I'm not the oldest member, but my card @ is 000 5... ...

I bought my first timeshare at Royal Palms in 1980's, and have enjoyed every minute.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Wow, you might have joined before jerrycoin. He's been a member for more then 31 years, but it sounds like you may even have him beat.

superchief1 Platinum

Jerrycoin has far surpassed me in his travel experiences, but I think I beat him (and am probably older) in when I signed up. I think an early major Insider contributor (TJCNY) signed up before I did, but there aren't many of us original Marquis members left. I was fortunate to do my most heavy international traveling in the golden years, prior to 911 and FF and hotel reward program devaluations. I still travel some domestically, but not nearly as much as I did previously, and that is fine with me.

erc Platinum

My wife and I were Marquis Club members in the 70s as well. In the very beginning it was a direct mail campaign to 'business' travelers. In order to beef up the numbers (and work out the bugs) employees were allowed (encouraged) to join.

Why I can't find any notes on the Marquis Club being a predecessor to the Honored Guest program several years later, is a mystery. Marriott always says the Loyalty Program began in 1983 with Honored Guests, but as you write, the Marquis Club came earlier and was based on loyalty - oh well.

I just spent a week with, like yourself, an original Vacation Club owner. He was reminiscing about how you could trade in your week for something like two first class tickets, 7 nights at a top of the line hotel AND a rental car. As you wrote somewhere else in the forum, those were truly the glory days.  In a glass half full perspective, we still have 5 for 4 .

Oh the history here of our Insiders, incredible!  I do remember getting a Marquis luggage tag just not sure what year and nothing like what you geezers got!!

That is a very special link erc and yes you did it correctly or at least that's what this other geezer believes.

I believe my luggage tag was given to me one of the last years they sent them out.  I sure liked it as it made this youngster feel important yet it was stolen off my bag one day, another reason NOT to check luggage.

erc Platinum

As a charter member of the IAH never check club (no ssindc, once is not enough for membership ) I experienced another reason to avoid checking if possible. My DEN to SLC flight kept getting delayed due to snow conditions, the non-checker folks were given priority over the bag in the hull gang and I was able to change flights for a half hour later flight (which left before the original). Not only that, but once again proving the value of Insiders, I even chose the bigger plane; six wide vs. four wide...no I don't know the types of planes, nor care to learn, but through my forced osmosis education from the thread that never dies, Aviation Geeks Unite, I at least knew to consider the size of the plane (I'm not a pure geek, in that I don't know the engine capacity or the flush rate of the toilet, like your group of zanies  ). Well, this plane provided me with my third of the year (not bad, not bad at all) First Class upgrade. All due to no bags and Insiders - yeah baby, showtime!

You my friend erc are on the cusp of becoming an Honorary Aviation Geek.....picking the widebody (no not a wide body) in order to be more comfortable as well as increasing your upgrade chances.  Well done and yet another reason we need to keep ssindc from checking all his camera gear and just roll it aboard the flight!

My official date is August, 1994..BUT, I feel certain I was in earlier and let my account lapse or just started a new one. I didn't have a whole lot of stays before 1988 or so, but I played the field for a good five years prior to my 1994 date.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I have my original membership card and the welcome letter dated July 15,2002.  I have my account statement showing activities from 10/13/02-10/05/03.  I stayed at the Springhill Suites for 3 nights in Tempe/Rio Salado and earned 1,413 points.

The next statement I have shows activities from 10/05/03-02/26/06.  I had a 3-night stay at the Springhill Suites in Little Rock and a 2-night stay at the Courtyard Galleria in Houston.  On 12/01/05, a 15,000 points MR Visa enrollment bonus was posted.

I wish we still received the account summaries in the mail or they were online where we could access them.

As time permits, I want to go through the summaries I do have, receipts I have kept, and my desk calendar with trips noted, and post a summary of my Marriott stays.  I don't think it will be nearly as complete as most of the ones which have been posted. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

is there a way to know. I know my airlines all put on member since x but don't see it on any Marriott info

jerryl,  I thought is was listed on our account page somewhere, but I can't find it there now. I seem to remember seeing "Member since Aug, 1994" every time I signed in. 

britblue67 Platinum

Last June I received a very nice email from MR thanking me for my 31 years of participation! I'm retired now but I traveled for business for 20+ years and got in to Marriott in 1985 when I discovered the then-new Courtyard properties as a super alternative to the Holiday Inns and such of the time. The very, very few times my wife and I have strayed from the Marriott fold have generally been disastrous, so we look no further any more.

raymond2911 Member

today !! right now !!

nationwide Platinum

jw99, regrettably, I didn't sign up for Marriott Rewards until 2002.  I was a little late to the loyalty program party, and probably could have joined in 1998 if I had been paying more attention.

I am grateful for the forum we have as Insiders to help one another along the way.  I've learned so much from the veteran travelers on Insiders who have been there and done that, and hope we can continue passing along the wisdom to those that follow. 

troytraveler Silver

seatexan Platinum

I still have the welcome email and it says Sep, 25 2013.  I started to really use summer of 2014.  I think my first stay on my acct was July 2014, in New Orleans.

Jsucool76 where are you!? I can't be the only newer member!

I am quite impressed with those of you with more than 10 years! AND it is pretty amazing we have some insiders here with 20+ and even 30+!

Jsucool76 Gold

Well I joined MR with my Marriott Credit Card, and I opened that on 9/3/2014. I joined insiders 9/27/14

So I'm just over 2 years of membership here.

seatexan Platinum

So good to hear from you! I wish I had found this site sooner. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I first picked up a card from the Portsmouth Marriott in around 2004 and showed it every time I checked in there for a couple of years. that would be maybe 4 or 5 stays till I called Marriott to get to access it via the interweb and was told the number on my card didn't exist, so I'd collected nothing, nowt, nil, nada. Formally joined in 2006!

beauvallonboy Platinum

I believe my year 1994 When I first started working full time for my company and personally started to pay for hotels myself! Good times began!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey jw99, do you have a Marriott Marquis luggage tag?

Check out these polls/pics - from the archives:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1064

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1019

Count me in with the 1980's folks - long ago and far away....

jw99 Platinum

No luggage tag...I don't recall what the program was named in 1985..

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I joined the Honored Guest program in 1991 and the Courtyard Club in 92.  These programmed merged to become Marriott Rewards in the mid or late 90s.  (My first Marriott stay was in 1966, at Key Bridge Marriott, which was then a two story Motel.  At that time there were only 3 Marriott hotels.  Those were Key Bridge, 14th /Street Bridge and Philadelphia.  In 2009, My daughter was married at the Key Bridge Marriott, where I had spent my wedding night, 43 years earlier. 

beauvallonboy Platinum

phctourist, Keybridge Marriott is one of if not my favorite Marriott Hotel in DC area!  I stayed there practically 1 year with some breaks in between every six weeks. I used to get the 12th floor suite facing the Washington monument straight out front and Georgetown U. to the left which could be seen directly from the bed..Best view hands down!  I also loved the fact that after work I could go for a nice run along the monuments putting in however many miles I want usually would do 6 - 8 miles round trip going across bridges to Lincoln or Jefferson monument then back through other side of Potomac river over Keybridge back to hotel, or do a nature run along the Potomac!  Simply the best in the area!  I also loved the fact of so many restaurants, bars etc. wife & kids enjoyed the activities while I was at work.  The staff were great as well, I felt like family with a lot of them especially Rose in the Lounge, Janet in back office that took care of my room request and check-in staff, restaurant ladies.  So much to say about that hotel.  I don't know how it is now as it has been a year or two since my last stay and  heard quite a bit of change, so if I go back this spring/summer, I'll have to see if staff & hotel has kept the same or gone down hill.

By the way I believe it is now the oldest standing Marriott hotel in the world!

erc Platinum

Yes, Key Bridge is now the oldest Marriott around. Like PHC wrote, the first one was Twin Bridges, it closed at the end of 1988. The land (over several years of haggling) became a county park with nice turf fields (that can be seen from the Potomac River side rooms of the Pentagon City Residence Inn.

One of my favorite activities, now that I no longer enjoy fighting the crowds, is securing a room at the Key Bridge Marriott for the 4th of July fireworks.

A Capital 4th and an Insider Get Together

what is cool, (besides skipping the traffic) is to my surprise, you can see scores of community fireworks shows along with the big Mall presentation (turn on PBS and you've got yourself a simulcast, with wine, beer, snacks - yeah man).

7_4 KeyBridge skyline.jpg

A terrific view during the daytime, especially at sunrise, from Key Bridge to Jefferson Memorial

Washington Harbour, Watergate, Kennedy Center, Washington Monument

7_4 Fireworks2.jpg

Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

beauvallonboy I don't think that it is the oldest standing Marriott.  It is, I believe, the oldest location, however.  The original Key Bridge Marriott was actually a two story motel and was torn down sometime between 1968 and 1976.  The current hotel was built during that time frame.  ( We lived in NJ during those 8 years and when we returned to DC in 76 the current structure was open. )

When I first arrived in DC in 1963 the Key Bridge facility was that motel with two restaurants.  One was called Fairfield Inn.   It was sort of an upscale Hot Shoppe.  The other was called Sirloin and Saddle and was a very pleasant steak house.  Eating at the Fairfield Inn was actually, my first encounter with Marriott, which was then called Marriott Hot Shoppe.  In 1966 I bought stock in Marriott Hot Shoppe and I've been a shareholder almost continuously since then.

It has been one of my 2 or 3 best investments.

I became a member of the Honored Guest program in 1991 and have been Platinum for almost a decade.

beauvallonboy Platinum

I could be wrong but when I was practically living there...the staff told me it was now the oldest standing one because the other one was torn down.  Plus from what I recall, they didn't tear down the old 2 story but rather built around it so that 2 story is still there from my recollection and nearest to Potomac river side, and the towers surround it  with indoor/outdoor swimming pool in the middle.  Anyways I guess it could depend on semantics of how one says oldest standing because it should be something like oldest original Marriott hotel because they have made some purchase in Europe (ie England that is hundreds of years old or something).

Also congratulations on your purchasing of the stocks and becoming an honored guest!  You should be given something special showing your loyalty not just to the hotel chain/family but the Brand.

Happy travels!

Flowerdrumsong Silver

Wow, I see a lot of loyal patrons- very impressive!    We only joined in 2015 - so you can call me a Newbie.  

Thanks!

beauvallonboy Platinum

Newbie or ....it doesn't matter!  Welcome to the MR club! Hope you find it rewarding!

Flowerdrumsong Silver

I agree! Thanks!      

Well thanks to Nathalie I enrolled in 1998

I didn't realize NathalieF has been working at Marriott that long. She must have been hired as a toddler if she signed you up in 1998. . I'm guessing you meant she helped you find out that you singed up in 1998. Either way, kudos to her.

What do you mean "hired as a toddler"?  She is still a toddler!   Exactly, give her kudos for helping out.

Brian never said she personally enrolled me but was kind enough to look it up. I guess I must have just used hyatt or Hilton as I certainly travelled before that date but at least since then I earned lifetime platinum

also for a few years look at hotel points as way to get more airline mileage so usually transferred all points to an airline

peymanagement Platinum

I was the same as you jerryl, I would use my Aeroplan number directly with the hotels to get points, i really did not wake up to loyalty programs until one of the mom and pop motor inns that i stayed at joined a Wyndham brand. Wyndham worked for me for several years because most of my business travel was in rural areas where you were more likely to find a Days Inns or Super 8's than Marriott or IHG.  At the same time, i could redeem at some pretty nice resorts run by Wyndham.

I was just having fun with you. The way you phrased your comment could have been interpreted as you thanking her for signing you up in 1998. I knew what you meant.

Almost 20 years now. That's loyalty. My nearly 6 years with Marriott pales in comparison. I guess I just need to stick with it.

Brian I actually thought it was longer but as I said I never looked at hotel loyalty as something I sought as I was always more focused on airline points so transferred all to an airline. Glad I wised up soon enough to get lifetime platinum .

jw99 Platinum

The response to this post has been informative and hilarious. Great to learn about fellow travelers.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I joined the Marriott Rewards program in 1994 after staying at my first Marriott property in Roanoke, VA.  The same property today is now a Sheraton.  Sometime later this year I should finally reach Lifetime Platinum!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Not sure when I signed up.  It was at the World Center Orlando.  I was there for a conference, and my colleague told me the rewards program was great.  He was right.  Maybe about 2008 or so?  Really had not been aware of hotel points programs at all up to that point.  On a somewhat related topic, I just got an email from United Airlines congratulating me for my 20 year anniversary as a Mileage Perks member.  But I've been a member with United since 1985 (parents signed me up as a minor) so I'm not sure what was going on there. 

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

It was, I think, spring of 2009 for me.  If I had been smart, I would have joined in 1989 when I got married the first time because we had our rehearsal dinner at at Residence Inn Gatehouse and booked rooms for our guests there!  But that's okay, the second marriage is much better and sort of makes up for the lack of points...

superchief1 Platinum

I had forgotten that we actually had our wedding reception in 1980 at the 'new' Marriott on Chester Rd. in Cincinnati. This was one of their first wedding receptions and they did a great job. I can't recall whether this was before or after I joined the Marquis program, but I was lucky to not be paying for the wedding and that my first marriage worked out great for me. Marriott has played a major role in many of my life's memorable events.

mustanggt Platinum

I joined Marriott Rewards on March 13, 1994.  I remember that day like it was yesterday...Sure I do!   

mustanggt Platinum

This thread has gotten me thinking that in two more years I will have been a Marriott Rewards member for a quarter of a century.  YIKES!  That's a lot of miles on the old Mustang GT.  I wonder if there is a badge for this accomplishment?  How long do you think it would take the IT Dept to produce one...a quarter of a century? 

"Quarter of a century", now that's some funny stuff right there.

Hey Marriott, I want my quarter of a century badge......please develop it before I get to half a century.

superchief1 Platinum

I think all of us original 'Marquis' members should get a special badge as well as a Lifetime Platinum level above every other level

AZDesertRat Platinum

I don't know when I joined nor how to find out