1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 5:32 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

anyone else bothered by this (Desert Springs I)

mcwgold Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I own MVCI week at Desert Springs I -- I bought specifically because Desert Springs I has use*(or they had use) at the spa at the JW Marriott at Desert Springs.  wELL..this year the management of the hotel decided to make that option too costly, so the timeshare assn. wasn't able to participate..so...

owners who had counted on spa use now have to pay $175/week for something we got in our main. fee before...with NO advance notice (I guess the management knew..but the"rank and file" didn't)....

so....if there are others unhappy -- please keep writing, posting and talking (some are posting on Trip advisor)...We hope to see this privilege come back...many went to Desert Springs I to escape kids, noise, boistrous pools...and that's what we got at the spa..now we're back to a place which isn't desireable..

a situation the resort has never experienced (except the year and half when the spa was being renovated)...

Make your voice(s) heard...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: anyone else bothered by this (Desert Springs I)
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

"the management of the hotel decided to make that option too costly, so the timeshare assn. wasn't able to participate"

Another DSV owner, Superchief1 raised this topic several months back stating that the recreational licensing agreement expired.  If that agreement was in place when the hotel opened, that would mean 20 years elapsed. In that time, hotel operating costs rose significantly and continue to do so.

For example, in the wake of Katrina, the AIG company which operates the subsidiary that insures many MVC resorts upped the premiums and increased the deductibles significantly.  In Florida  where I own multiple MVC weeks, the deductible went from $5,000 per storm per resort up to $100,000!  My MF quickly turned the corner on $1,000 per week so that the resort could build a contingency fund.  We don't have the same situation in Florida regarding a recreational agreement - yet - but if we did and it added $175+ to the MF on top of what it is now, it would present a significant financial challenge to owners.   

"so....if there are others unhappy -- please keep writing, posting and talking (some are posting on Trip advisor)...We hope to see this privilege come back...many went to Desert Springs I to escape kids, noise, boistrous pools...and that's what we got at the spa..now we're back to a place which isn't desireable..

a situation the resort has never experienced (except the year and half when the spa was being renovated)...

Make your voice(s) heard..."

Not having all the facts, I'm not sure about the merits of the 'Call to Action' proposed.  Did the DSV I timeshare association reach out to their owners for input?  Did the JW Marriott extend a privilege or was it covered under the recreational licensing agreement to begin with?  It seems that the JW had the opportunity to 'true-up' on the costs and the timeshare association reacted with 'sticker shock.'

Rather than position the situation in an adversarial light where Marriott is denying a 'privilege', when economic conditions recover, perhaps owners might ask the association to revisit the issue?  Both the DSV I association and the JW Desert Springs management team have a fiduciuary responsibility. Renegotiating a favorable recreational agreement is in the best interests of the owners and the hotel.  Refiguring the 'Call to Action' from that perspective might be more effective in realizing the desired outcome?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...