21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2017 9:10 AM by snedley RSS

Courtyard platinum room upgrade?

walleyefinder Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Is anyone getting a platinum member room upgrade at Courtyards as I never have? I do at Marriott hotels and Fairfields but not at Courtyards.  Makes me wonder why I stay there and stay loyal to Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amarillo, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
  • Re: Courtyard platinum room upgrade?
    nationwide Platinum

walleyefinder, I frequently get an upgrade, but not to a suite.  I often get my preference for a high-floor, best view, away from elevator etc.  I think of the 15+ nights I spent in a CY last year, 2 resulted in suite upgrades.  In both of those instances, the hotels were in small town locations (unlikely to be filled with other platinum guests).  I guess it depends on how you are defining an upgrade.  I am making it a point to avoid CYs as often as possible in 2017.

Message was edited by: nationwide An added note that explains 12 of the 15 nights...  I have a CY close to my company headquarters and it makes for a convenient stay when I have corporate guests in from out of town.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shortnsassytxn Platinum

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Amarillo, TX for 111 days and was only given one upgrade the entire time we were there.  And I had to call cooperate office and complain to get that one. We were checking out one more day after our updrade and they put us back in the same room that we had been staying in forb110 nights.  So  GoodLuck.

Message was edited by: shortnsassytxn This was our view from our Suite by the way.

Location Brand Hotel
    Amarillo, Texas, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Amarillo West/Medical Center
      nationwide Platinum

Wow!  The view from the suite is awful!!!  That's an upgraded view?!  Count me out from ever making a stay at this hotel. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Remember where it is located!

Those are just butt ugly views.  I've had much better views in poverty stricken countries out hotel windows than the views in those pictures.

nationwide Platinum

I have to make this trip later in the year, and I will boycott this hotel...  The view I can handle, but there is no excuse for the poor service our fellow Insiders received. 

shortnsassytxn Platinum

The whole 8+ months that we were there were horrible.. Well 111 nights.    Yes I did write a bad review about management, and Lucky me, I received a call from said manager Per Cooperate office on his day off and he was even rude during that call as well.. HE DOES NOT BELONG IN CUSTOMER SERVICE, SORRY!!!

I had not even got to the level of service or treatment yet, but I completely agree and it gets worse from another just posted about the same location.

Re: Retroactively Posting Platinum Bonus Points to Avoid Paying the Guarantee?

shortnsassytxn Platinum

Oh, I just realized that you too were staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Amarillo. Dealing with Mario the Manager!!  Like I said I had to call cooperate office just to get ONE UPGRADE as a Platinum Member out of 111 nights in ONE YEAR at that Same Hotel.. Mario actually called us from his house in regards to us getting the Upgrade THAT WE did get. He was NOT HAPPY

peymanagement Platinum

Courtyards are great if I arrive late and am back on the trail before 6 am. Generally I avoid them.

nationwide Platinum

peymanagement - so you are saying they are ok in the dark?    Awesome!!!

peymanagement Platinum

LOL nationwide, not quite. What i am really saying, is I have no expectations for service. There is no free coffee, there is no breakfast and the bistro is not to my liking. If i just need a place to sleep and the price is right, i will stay. I certainly would not stake my Marriott loyalty on a courtyard. Having said that and entering the situation with low expectations, I have been pleasantly surprised with a few. The courtyard Ottawa East is a nice hotel, and i was treated very well at Courtyard Lake Buena Vista last March when i could not get into the world centre. Otherwise most of my Courtyard visits were business, where i flew in late, had the taxi drive through Arby's and left and went down the street to a diner in the early am.

bacon14 Platinum

I frequently stay at the Courtyard in Beaverton OR as it's located very close to my mom.  Since I've been platinum I've been upgraded to a suite about 25% of the time.  However they always ensure my room is located away from the commuter train and are extremely accommodating about letting me check in early in the morning.  This way I can drop my bags, grab mom and spend a full day loading up the car in wine country

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've posted in the past about what qualifies for upgrades vs elite expectations.  Courtyards as a brand, generally have very few upgrade levels from what an elite member probably would call an upgrade.  They almost all have suites, many have whirlpool suites and larger corner rooms.  The upgrades they consider as upgrades are a room with a view, a room away from the elevator, a courtyard room vs outside room.

As a plat prem, I have almost always been given a top floor, courtyard view and often the larger corner room.  I do get suite upgrades but it's honestly less than 10% and I rarely push for it as I really only stay at Courtyards for work.  As a platinum member I got basically the same, though the suite upgrades were probably sub 5% success.  I stayed at one Courtyard outside of Chicago for 7months, the first 6 as Plat, never knew they had better rooms until I got Plat Prem.  Then as I was almost done with the project they greeted me with "oh you have premier status, here's your whirlpool suite".  Varies all over the place I guess

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

As for me, I don't stay at CY's, ever. As others noted, no breakfast for plat/gld, no coffee, bistro is poor excuse for food, I avoid CY's at all costs and will stay at another chain (Hilton, etc.). Upgrades at CY's - never. So in the last 5 years, my stays at CY's are ZERO. Its not worth getting frustrated and arguing with the CY Hotels managers. I stay at FF's, TPS, FS Marriott, Ren's, etc where I get an upgrade about 1/2 the time. For those who enjoy CY's, more power to you. as a business traveler, even to some fairly small towns, I just wont stay at a CY, I am willing to forgoe the points and nights as I just dislike them as a brand. Ironic considering when the brand was started, it was tagged as "designed by business travelers for business travelers", and I don't know any nosiness person that likes no complimentary breakfast, no free coffee, etc. Just my 2 cents

bacon14 Platinum

stelzer001 I'm not sure what my nosiness has to do with it , but since I don't drink coffee (I know I know shameful from the Seattlite) and I prefer a great breakfast (ie even when I get free breakfast, many times I prefer to go elsewhere for excellent food) I'm perfectly happy at a Courtyard.  The courtyard I frequent has free parking vs $39 downtown, so if we're going out to breakfast anyway, I'll happily spend half the money and stay at CY, which just means more money to spend on wine! 

Now, I will say, the beds are not nearly as comfortable at the CY.  But that's where the wine comes in handy

Even bad wine cannot make up for the lack of comfort with their beds!!   Although I have heard rumor that some CY do have new mattresses just not sure I want to take that chance.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I understand if you don't drink coffee, go out for breakfast, etc, but bed comfort is really important, and given that I don't need much food for breakfast, I want a hotel that has some minimum (like fruit, yogurt, coffee, etc). the fact the CY's don't have this deters me, and the beds bein what they are given me 0=CY forever. More power to you if it fits what you need

superchief1 Platinum

I totally agree. I previously liked CY because they were the most consistent mid price business hotel who met our corporate cost guidelines, and they had convenient suburban locations near my business locations. CY's probably represented about 40% of my stays prior to the Bistro fiasco and no free coffee. Now I only stay there for Park n Flies when I leave before breakfast and they have the lowest rate. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't think I get any upgrade at Courtyard but last night was upgrade to a two bedroom suite at RI

snedley Platinum

I an also a Platinum Elite and do recall ever getting an upgrade at a Courtyard.  The only time that I did get an upgrade to a Suite was when I complained about a room.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've gotten the majority of my suite upgrades at Courtyard Hotels.  I do prefer Full Service hotels over CY so that I can have lounge access and free breakfasts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...