8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2017 2:02 PM by caohnso50 RSS

Possible to pay the difference on rewards certificates?

jeztash Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi there,

So we receive a Cat 1-4 certificate from our credit card yearly, and unfortunately the hotel we would like to use our certificate at is a Cat 5. Using Pointsavers it's 20k points to redeem, or 25k normally.

Has anyone had any success in applying their certificate to a higher level hotel and paying the difference using either cash or points?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Possible to pay the difference on rewards certificates?
    mustanggt Platinum

Actually jeztash, you will receive a cat 1-5 certificate from your Chase CC, so take another look at your options.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Beat me to it by minutes, mustanggt

Yep, jeztash them Credit card Certs were upgraded from cat4 to cat5 a couple of years ago... enjoy

And, no, the credit card certs can't be upgraded, neither by using points or cash. They are what they are!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

The annual certificate for having the Chase card is cat 1-5. Other certs that come with various promotions are usually 1-4.  I have long advocated that Marriott could allow cets to be upgraded by combining them with points of cash, but, thus far, my suggestions go unheeded.

jeztash Silver

Is that just for americans?  On the Chase Canada site it does say Cat 1-5, but the one in my account is a Cat1-4:

• 09/25/16
    • MR Visa CA Free Night Award, category 1-4 hotel

Is there any way to have that adjusted to what Chase's site is saying?

Thanks!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, you made me check but Chase is definitely Cat1-5, whether in Canada or USA. It could be a desription glitch, so try using it for a random Cat5 - find a Cat5 for one night available for points, click on the points and it will take you to the reservation screen inviting you to choose between your cert or points. If no choice is offered then it's not just a typo, so I guess you call Chase, confirm it should be a Cat1-5 and then call Marriott. Be prepared to be run around by finger pointing. Do let us know how you get on...

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I would call Chase!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm not sure if is still the case, but when I signed up for the card, the terms stated that the first certificate would be cat 1-4 (upon approval) and all subsequent years it would be cat 1-5 (on the card anniversary date).

Did you just sign up for the card? If so, getting a cat 1-4 certificate makes sense. If you've had the card for a year or more, then you should be getting cat 1-5 and it might be time to make a call to Chase.

As to the original question, you will not be able to add points to apply the certificate to a higher category property. You'll have to find a property in category 1-4 if you want to use it.

caohnso50 Platinum

All of my certificates have said Cat 1-5 as well.  But Cat 5 is just as worthless as Cat 4.  I never get anywhere were these are useful.  I end up wasting them most years.  I also vote for allowing upgrades with points!  Hell let them rip us off a little on the exchange, its better than nothing...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...