20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2017 4:20 AM by stelzer001 RSS

Chasing The Local Bonus

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've mentioned on here, previously, the game that is played to obtain the local promotional points often offered by individual hotels. It goes likes this:

1) The hotel publishes a special rate that comes with additional points (1000 per night, 1000 per stay, etc.)

2) I find the rate and book the room.

3) I take a screen shot or copy and paste the rate for future back up...just in case.

4) I make the stay and cross my fingers

5) The stay posts to my account, but the additional bonus points do not.

6) I wait a couple of weeks and call Marriott to get the points credited

7) The rep on the phone either credits the points immediately or mentions they will call the property to get this fixed

8) The property adds the points after weeks of waiting.

Sometimes the property likes to play duck and hide. They claim that they don't and have never offered such a rate. Well, that's where step 3 above comes in handy. I offer to email to any interested party my screen shot of THEIR rate. "Dang!!!"... is what I'm guessing they say to themselves and then post the points.

I had two stays, one in October, one in early December that offered points but didn't deliver. I called Marriott. Both hotels sent me an email apologizing for the oversight and mentioned they would post these bonus points ASAP. One hotel followed up and posted. The other was all talk, no action on the points. I waited 5 days and went back in to battle.

A second email came from the property, the GM this time, stating that they were still researching the "claim" and suspected I may have them confused with another property.  So.....I offered to email the screen shot with their hotel all over it. The GM said no thanks, "We'll post the points but there is still a question as to your claim that it was per night vs. per stay"

Folks it shouldn't be this hard....take a look at the info below and see if there's a question as per night or per stay to you:

Rate Details
Marriott Rewards Member Exclusive Offer
Additional Information
Earn an extra 3,000 and 5,000 points per night in Blank Town
Join us again at our newly renovated Courtyard in Blank Town and
earn 3,000 points on the weeknight or 5,000 points on the
weekend. See the very newest of Marriott brand standards
during your travels to northeast Blank Town

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Chasing The Local Bonus
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Wish I could say I had a different experience, but I live this dream, not just for the bonus points like you note, but even for the Plat points and the points for waiving housekeeping. I just count the days from checkout, then add a calendar reminder (paste the way you do so I don't need to look it up) then call on the day (10 business days) and get the points. The people who answer the phone are usually apologetic, but it makes one wonder, does Marriott track this so they can FIX IT?

I am currently awaiting 15,000 bonus points from a stay the first week of January. The stay posted promptly. The points will require a call.

so keep the faith, but the points will require the calls because the hotels have to buy these and why spend the money of you don't have to

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I am bumping my own post to see if the mods pick up on this and can help. I am now 8 days from checkout and still waiting for the 15K bonus for 3 paid nights with 5K per night. On day 10, I will be in London (Staying at a SPG property with my plat reciprocity) and will call to get my points, but really, why no mods weighing in on this this item?

Toss in a tag of carat, and or AndrewT. I'm not sure if they read every post...This should get some attention, stelzer001

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry for the frustration, stelzer001, I've sent you a direct message to assist.

I replied back to you with the info, rez #, info on the 5K per night bonus I am supposed to get. Please let me know: 1. you received my response and 2. if you need anything else. Thanks in advance

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

I have received your response and will continue to assist via our direct message.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you need anything else

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Welcome to my world of repeated point shorting. I've never - not ONCE - received the bonus points packages without reminding Marriott, same applies for points in lieu of breakfast. It's well past time Marriott guaranteed these, 5,000 points per failure will, I strongly suspect, eradicate it overnight. If not, then I'll make a fortune!!!!

Yes brightlybob, the lame excuse that the individual hotel has to manually add the points AND they only do this once every few weeks is unacceptable. I am certain that there are many folks out there who book these rates and assume the hotel will credit their accounts. That's a shame, since I firmly believe that the hotels, in general, have zero intention of adding these promised points. This "squeaky wheel gets the grease" game is bad business.

I love your suggestion....5000 points per failure. I also would add a time limit of one calendar week from date of checkout.

mustanggt Platinum

You folks have my vote.  I've had the same exact issues.  This is not rocket science, and it should not be this hard to promptly credit the correct points.  Putting a penalty in place that hits the property's bottom line will get their attention and cause them to quickly improve their processes.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've not encountered this problem. I will admit it's rare for me to book a rate with additional points for two reasons. 1) I almost never see them in the out of the way corners of the US where I travel, and 2) I often choose a cheaper rate (AAA or gov't) instead of taking the points deal on the rare occasions I see them. I would be open to using these types of rates if I saw them more frequently.

The few times I booked such a rate, I have always asked at check-in when I should expect to see the bonus points in my account. The answer is that the hotel posts these manually, usually two to three times a week, so those points should appear a day or two after the stay posts. So far, my success rate is 100% (on an admittedly small sample size). I've had to chase missing stays or missing PAG points more often.

I don't know if asking up front is the trick, but it does remind the person at the desk that I've booked an extra points deal and that I'm paying attention to my account. That certainly doesn't take in to consideration the hotel claiming such a deal was never offered as discovered by painedplatinum. I know you're not the only one to grab a screen shot of the reservation (for this or other reasons like room type or view).

I'll hope my luck holds but start getting those screenshots lined up just in case. Let us know when the next such deal posts (or doesn't). I'll be curious and I suspect a few others will as well.

This topic got me thinking about an upcoming stay where I had to option to choose a rate with additional bonus points versus a discounted rate (AAA).

Here are the details

• 2 nights at a CY
      • regular rate $123/nt
      • 2000 bonus points per night at $129
      • AAA rate $92

Clearly choosing the points offer over the regular rate is a no-brainer. That's an easy 4180 for an extra $12 (4000, plus the extra points earned at Platinum Elite from spending $12 more on the room rate). Okay so far?

Looking at the AAA versus the bonus points rate, the savings is $37 per day or $74. Choosing the AAA rate means forgoing the 2000 points per night as well as the 555 points per night I could earn as a PE by spend the additional $37 ($37 x 10 points per $ + the 50% bonus). Overall this means giving up 5110 points over the two nights in exchange for saving $74.

So, is it worth saving the $74 or earning the extra 5110 points? I suppose that could be up for debate depending on who is paying the bill. Since it's coming out of my pocket, I'm choosing the lower rate. In fact, I could buy 6000 for $75 ($12.50 per 1000 points) and come out 890 points ahead by spending an extra $1 (over the bonus points rate) if I really wanted/needed the points.

And as an added bonus, I won't have to worry about chasing down the additional points from the property.

Thanks painedplatinum for making me think a bit about my upcoming stay. I feel better about my choice.

peymanagement Platinum

good points bejacob, but sometimes it is possible to get a rate pretty close to the lowest with points added on, I do find it less now that the "members" rates were introduced.

It is certainly a possibility. My "exercise" just shows the importance of doing the analysis to determine when it makes sense to choose the points over a less expensive rate.

todzwif Platinum

My experience as well.  I'm not sure why it's so difficult; it almost feels like Marriott will do whatever possible to not give points.  I love the "you booked a discounted rate, so no night/point credit" but the next time my company books a block of rooms and I pay with my AmEx, I get them.  There is no consistency whatsoever and it doesn't feel good from a customer experience perspective.

peymanagement Platinum

While I hate points chasing, I have done this a few times, getting pretty close to the lowest rate. I do exactly what painedplatinum does, screenshot, picture on iphone etc. I had one case in Las Vegas where the offer was 5000 points per night so 25000 for a five night stay. When I checked in, I confirmed and was told it was 1000 per night. I flashed the phone at them and the 25000 was credited.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Funny that you post this painedplatinum as I normally have not had any issue of to chase down points.  However, as luck would have it I've been shorted the 1,000 points/night from a recent stay last last year and did not even look at it twice until I ran across this thread.  Thanks for waking my dumb arse up!!

So the call to Guest Services and the chase begins. Just talked with Brittany who at first acted like she had no knowledge of a Rewards Member rate let alone the 1,000 bonus points/night package.  HMMM, after a second attempt to help her see the light she puts me on hold and two minutes later she comes back, thanks me for holding and tells me those 2,000 points will be in my Rewards account in 10-15 minutes. We shall see.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And true to her word my bonus points have now posted, still we shouldn't have to chase them down as often as I read here others must do.

mustanggt Platinum

Glad you got your points IAHFLYR.  When I have missing points i always go after them...It is as much the principle of the thing as it is the points themselves.  In addition, I'm hoping that if enough people call MR reps chasing their points then the reps will complain to the supervisors who in turn will take the issue up the chain of command and get something done about it.  Okay, with regard to my last point you can call me a dreamer!

peymanagement Platinum

Chasing points is the worst. There should be a penelty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...