22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2017 5:35 PM by bacon14 RSS

DFW Area BBQ/Fried Chicken Recommendations?

bacon14 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders!  I have the pleasure of spending 2 lovely weeks in the DFW area coming up and would love to hear your suggestions for great BBQ or fried chicken!  I'll technically be staying in Addison, but will happily drive for a great meal.  A few highlights/favorites from previous travels are Babes (ok, I have to go here every trip!), Hard Eight BBQ and of course the amazing Woodshed.  Yes those ribs and smoked baked potato were as delicious as they look!  Of course any other favorite places are appreciated!

Woodshed.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas/Addison, Texas, USA
  • Re: DFW Area BBQ/Fried Chicken Recommendations?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I love BBQ!!!!  A long time Insider who recently passed, nuhusker, was also a BBQ hunter. Keep the recommendations and pictures coming.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

LOooove BBQ and fried chicken. Americas gift to the world...yum!

nationwide Platinum

bacon14, Lockhart Smokehouse is awesome!  You know Hard Eights and that's a favorite of mine too.  For quick BBQ, Red Hot and Blue is quite good too!  If you give me a sense for what part of town you will be in, I'll get you some more local recommendations from my team when I get into Dallas on Wednesday.  Enjoy!

bacon14 Platinum

nationwide thanks for the tip on Lockhart!  l'my staying in Addison but I'm mostlying going to be on my own so I don't mind anywhere within an hour or so.  I've even made it out to Bones Daddys ..... yes, I was two non working girls that night but we still had a great time and the food was darn good.  Any other places the team recommends, please send them my Way! 

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Rudy's Country Store & BBQ... there are several in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.  Real tasty food and a good price!!!

I had lunch there just a few weeks ago... I ate there in 2015 on a business trip and I became hooked!!!!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Hard 8 is great, Rudy's is an institution for sure, the sauce is a separate food group LOL  You can order just how you want it cut (lean, moist, extra bark, etc) and they have jalapeno sausages that are tasty.

If you are up towards Frisco, Three Stacks is pretty good for BBQ. 

Salt Lick - it's ok, not the best but if you are running out of places to try it's worth it

Pecan Lodge - made the food network list, it's not bad

Woodshed - kind of a Mexican spin but good.  another food network place

Babe's - if you want fried chicken, go here and go hungry

bacon14 Platinum

zukracer I haven't been to Rudy's and will add this to the list for sure!!!

Salt Lick - I went to the one outside of Austin and was amazed how absolutely packed it was at 4:00 in the afternoon.  It was fun to try their wines and enjoy a little BBQ at the picnic tables but not a place I'd go out of the way for again.

Woodshed - That's where my picture of the loaded smoked potato and ribs was from.  I've been twice and really enjoyed the food each time.

Babes - Babes o Babes, glad to hear you like it as well.  I've learned over the years to not even waste the space on that silly sugar water dressing salad!  I also love that it's BYOB and I can bring wine with me.

Jsucool76 Gold

I highly recommend the fried chicken in the centurion lounge at DFW. I'm sure there is better fried chicken around but it's pretty dang good.

peymanagement Platinum

i'm off topic but the Centurion Lounge at DFW is the best. If I have to connect I always ask if i can be routed through DFW, just for the lounge.

you really can't go wrong with any of the Centurion lounges eating

nationwide Platinum

bacon14 - two more BBQ recommendations for you since you don't mind driving a little bit.  Safe travels and enjoy the BBQ.  You can't go wrong with fried chicken at Babe's.

Bartleys (Grapevine)

Helms (Ft Worth)

bacon14 Platinum

Thank you so much nationwide!!  I also really love the creamed corn at Babes.  Although it could just be because I'd never heard of creamed corn before visiting Texas.  That kind of goodness is hard to come by in kale and quinoa country

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I didn't pay too much attention to this post when I first saw it because we weren't planning a trip to Dallas in the near future; however, we might be planning a trip later this spring so I thought I would look it up.  We've actually eaten at several of the restaurants in other locations in Texas. 

bacon14  I am interested in the creamed corn at Babes.  Is it like creamed corn out of the can or does it have added ingredients?  VooDoo BBQ, located in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, has a corn pudding that we love. I have several corn pudding recipes, but they never come out just like VooDoo's, but they are close. 

If you ever want BBQ in Arkansas, we highly recommend Whole Hog (several locations in the state and Santa Fe, NM) and Sassy's Red House in Fayetteville.

Now I know why some posts show up numerous times...when I clicked submit, it said there was an error and directed me to try again.

bacon14 Platinum

razorbackfan I'd say the creamed corn at Babes is the consistency of creamed corn out of the can, but MUCH better.  Probably lots of added butter and seasoning to make it extra delicious.  I've never had corn pudding but feel I need to add this to my list!

If you are in the Addison area while in Dallas, Kenny's Wood Fired Grill is excellent for a nice meal.

I'm starting to really look forward to next week!

Can someone familiar with the DFW area please specify which of the recommended BBQ restaurants would be the easiest to reach as we head east from there?

Hard 8 is right near DFW, would certainly be a good spot to grab a bite as you are leaving the rental car facility.  Probably less than 15min drive north from the rental place to this Hard 8 @ 688 Freeport Pkwy, Coppell, TX 75019

Other places are a little more drive,  depends on if you are heading due east or willing to snake around a bit to get where you are going     You won't be disappointed with Hard 8 though and it's really quite easy to get to from DFW.

zukracer That is exactly the information I needed. Hard 8 sounds perfect for lunch.  We will be heading toward Plano which is a little more northeast, I guess.  We wouldn't mind wandering around a little and will have several days to do some wandering.....

razorbackfan if you are going to plano, check out three stacks right up the road @ 4226 Preston Rd, Frisco, TX 75034

Also Rudy's isnt terribly far from there @ 9828 Dallas Pkwy, Frisco, TX 75034

Both great options in Plano area.  Lots of great steak places too, Silver Fox Frisco | Silver Fox  is really yummy, the pickles are great (horseradish sweet pickles)

bacon14 Platinum

zukracer and @ne_traveling_man I finally made it to Rudy's in Frisco last night and it was well worth the drive!  Ribs, smoked turkey and pulled pork were all excellent.  I'd skip the creamed corn if I went back to Rudy's but that was the only item tried that wouldn't make the cut on the next visit. 

razorbackfan

There is also a Babes in Frisco which is well worth a visit if you haven't been.  It's BYOB, so don't forget any adult beverages you might want.  If you go to Hard Eight for lunch, plan enough time for a nap afterwards.  Two words - MEAT COMA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...