14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2017 12:04 PM by brightlybob RSS

Best 1 Week Off Work Reward Redemption?e

minnetraveler Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!

Looking for a good destination for my wife and my "annual trip." We went to Paris (stayed at the C-E) in 2016, and had a great time, but looking for something a bit more relaxing this year (and less museum heavy).

Flying in and out of MSP. Likely going in October. Platinum member (wife is gold), and should have enough points for up to category 9 for 7 nights. Paying for a couple nights would be OK, but we want to be able to use the 5th night free deal. We have 9ish days. 1 work week, and the weekends.

Basically, we've looked at a ton of destinations, and can't decide. My wife is set on Marrakesh for a trip, but the SPG property there has bad reviews, so we're thinking of pushing this off until 2018 and not use rewards. We want to use our rewards this year, because I'm not traveling anymore (so I'll lose platinum after this year), and my wife averages 4 nights a month, so gold isn't necessarily "guaranteed" for 2018, and the free breakfasts/lounge are great perks when traveling.

Some trips we've considered so far: Cairo (some safety concerns, hard to stay in Cairo for 5 nights?), Fes (wife REALLY wants to go to Marrakesh, so this is redundant), Rome and Venice (lots of museums), Vienna and Budapest (Lots of museums), Thailand (not enough time), Costa Rica (cultural experiences seem far away from the hotels).

We are hoping to have "relaxing experiences" on this vacation. Think vineyards, horse/camel/elephant riding, skiing, and less museums and just sitting on a beach (we go to Mexico all inclusive annually for our anniversary). We don't have children yet, so we're hoping to take a trip that we might not be able to take once we have or are approaching children (think ZIKA, adventurous activities, e

We need help! The world seems to be getting smaller and smaller as we try to plan this....

Thanks so much in advance!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Autograph Collection Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
London, England, United Kingdom Autograph Collection Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Rome, Italy Autograph Collection Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection
Napa, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Guanacaste, Costa Rica Autograph Collection Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection
Vail, Colorado, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Vail Marriott Mountain Resort
Phuket Island, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
  • Re: Best 1 Week Off Work Reward Redemption?e
    droma Platinum

Great redemption at the C-E to get the most bang for your points!  If you're looking for something similar in terms of value, here are two great resources:

9 Marriott Properties that Make Awesome Award Redemptions

9 SPG Properties that Make for Awesome Award Redemptions

Going off what you're looking for, I'd definitely recommend:

• Wailea Beach
    • Scrub Island
    • St. Regis Deer Valley

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

minnetraveler Platinum

Holy smokes Deer Valley costs a ton of points! It looks very nice though.

At Scrub island, is there more to do than just hang out at the resort, though? Hawaii might be a great idea, actually.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Have you considered Jordan? Petra for a few days and the Dead Sea? Mix R&R with historical exploration. The Marriott at Petra is well regarded and cheap on points, the Dead Sea Marriott Resort, well its a Cat6 and a Resort...but it's the Dead Sea. Please understand I don't speak form experience, although I did actually reserve Jordan a couple of years ago I had to abandon it due to cancer in the family. I got so close...

ALternatively, how about Vlads Pad? Moscow has so much to see and do. Not merely museums, theres parks, castles, shopping. Best done with a local English speaking guide. Fascinating city and the Marriott Royal Aurora is an excellent base with a great exec lounge. And if you really want to treat yourself, try the Moscow Ritz, reputedly one of the best Ritz in the world and only a Tier 2!

Or Barcelona, lots to see and lovely weather. A couple of great Marriott choices, with a Ren and Autograph or the RC Hotel Arts on the waterfront, through nome are cheap on points.

Finally, how about Monaco? Marriott Porte Monaco sits next to the 2km-wide principality. Land at Nice and helicopter in for the perfect arrival. Monaco and Monte Carlo are so walkable, Nice and Cannes a short drive nearby.

minnetraveler Platinum

Thanks!

These are ALL new to me. Let me check them out! Thank you!!

minnetraveler Platinum

So... Jordan is likely out. There is too much turmoil in that area for the wife to get on board with that trip. It looks cool though, and will consider it in the future years.

We probably won't travel to places when the US Gov has a Travel Warning related to attacks.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

will be staying at the cotton house in Barcelona in June on points

minnetraveler Platinum

Thanks Jerryl.

What are you doing there, though? I traveled to Barcelona back in 2011, and I spent about 2-3 days there and i feel like i saw a lot of the city. A lot of it was churches (Sagrada Familia), parks (Park Guell), and museums. What are you doing in the way of "experiences"?

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

My wife and daughter went to Jordan last summer and they fell in love with the people and the country. The Jordan Valley Marriott at the Dead Sea treated them like royalty, they couldn't do enough. The only down side is there is not much to do in the area so 4 days was more than enough for them.

The Marriott at Petra is a sad excuse for a Marriott...the only thing going for them is the incredible views but not worth the stay in my opinion. Staff at this hotel is sorely lacking.

With the amount of unrest in all places of the world, places to visit and travel to are a very personal choice...it is not as simple as it once used to be.

minnetraveler Platinum

Thanks Guidedog!

It looked like an interesting trip, actually. But not sure if Petra or the Dead Sea would be "worth" staying for 5 nights to get the 5th night free.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

We also did a redemption stay of 5 nights at the Dubai JW Marriott Marquis...what an absolutely incredible hotel and the staff go above and beyond. An amazing upgrade to a huge corner suite and the CL which is open 7 days a week is the best I have ever been in. There is more than enough to do in Dubai, with a day trip to Abu Dhabi and an evening visit to a desert camp.

minnetraveler Platinum

Do you think we'll have enough to do for a week in the french riviera?

I Think so, Nice, Cannes and Monaco are a couple of leisurely days exploration each. It's the Riviera and operates on French time... take it easy, take time to enjoy the coffee, and motor around the countryside. It's all so beautifully French... but I do very much love our neighbours across the channel...

minnetraveler Platinum

Awesome! Thanks Brightlybob!

It looks like there are a handful of nice Marriotts in the area. Any suggestions for the best point redemption/location?

Thanks!

Aalthough I've never stayed at the Cat8 Nice Boscolo, I have stated at the Budapest one, and heartily recommend it, I would imagine the brands values are to be found in Nice too. I have stated at the Cat8 Marriott Porte Monaco and very much enjoyed it, though it's no luxury stay. For Luxury try the JW at Cannes, mind you as a Cat9 it needs to be good!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...