5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2017 12:48 PM by brightlybob RSS

Thrillist's Best & Worst Hotel Programs

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Interesting article on Thrillist:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-hotel-rewards-program

Some of the big ones don't make the cut in either direction like IHG & Hilton.  Very shocked to see SPG rated as the worst hotel rewards program, especially with out loyal their members are.  I do agree that it is a con that different Marriott properties reward different points.  I understand there is a big difference between staying at the Ritz and Springhill Inn, but I think that is taken care of by the price.  I'd like to see 10 points per $ at all hotels.  Do you agree/disagree with the article?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Thrillist's Best & Worst Hotel Programs
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HMmmm, I was very much with this survey, until it blew out SPG. I think it's well known that SPG is loved by its membership. Indeed it's that love, or as Starwood calls it, "the special sauce" that Marriott brought into, to the tune of $13billion. Whatever this survey measured it missed out on that, and is hence flawed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Profit margins at various properties also impact the decision, by Marriott, to decide the value of contributions to the rewards program.  Thus, it is not surprising if lower margin chains give fewer points per do;;at spent.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

So I see two things that are strange under the Marriott section.

First, major brands listed are Residence Inn, Fairfield Inns, and Courtyard. No mention of any full-service brands. Is it just me or does that seem strange? Based on that alone, this makes me think the article is targeted at budget conscious travelers only.

Second, the article mentions that some brands are excluded. Really? Which ones? I know there are some individual properties that do not participate in Marriott Rewards. I am not aware of any brands that are excluded in their entirety. If anyone knows differently, please share.

Given that there are a few other inaccuracies, I'm now questioning veracity of the entire article. There have been other articles comparing hotel loyalty programs that seem to have many more facts and data supporting their conclusions. Thanks for sharing droma. While it's great to see all manner of opinions on the different programs, I'm not sure I agree with this the conclusions from this one.

droma Platinum

I definitely agree with your take on the article.  The only two brands Marriott separates out that don't participate in the rewards program are Ritz-Carlton Reserve and Bulgari.  I have a hard time really considering Ritz Reserve its own distinct brand and  Bulgari currently only has a few hotels I believe, which also makes it hard to consider on the same level as other brands (it's really just a couple individual properties choosing not to participate).

This does seem extremely biased towards the budget traveler.  Clicking deeper into the larger survey:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-hotel-rewards-program/25939/

Reveals the metrics are based on looking at light, moderate, and heavy hotel spenders.  However, light is classified as $487 in annual spend, moderate is $779, and heavy is $1,461.  PER YEAR!  What?!  So a a normal Marriott property a light spender stays 3 nights a year and a heavy spender only stays 9?  I think it is a very flawed survey.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well dug up, droma... $1461 hardly represents a heavy hotel spender. I run at about $20,000 pa, and whilst I think that can be considered a heavy hotel spender, many here and at Flyertalk would probably poo-poo such a spend!

Looking at business spending $500 as light I think is probably right, for many years I'd stay only 4 or 5 nights away. Middling I'd say would be $3000 representing as it does about 25 nights away and $7000 I'd consider heavy representing about 50 nights away annually. Of course some poeople pay far more than circa $100per night, but even so I'd say these figures more accurately represent light, middling and heavy hotel spenders.

OF course, the issue when fixing these figures is that there are lies, damn lies and statistics! A lot of people don't spend any time at all in hotels, none, nil, nowt, zero. Indeed I would imagine worldwide most people have never stayed in a hotel ever and only a tiniest minority spend more than a few days in hotels each year. Until I was 20 I'd spent precisely NO Nights in hotels, ever in my life. I remember asking my Dad when playing monopoly what a hotel was like and his reply, "I durnt rightly know lad, never been in wun, its whar posh peepul spend thems 'olidays". My first ever stay at a legal conference in Nottingham at the 4-star Stakis was an amazing experience! 

ANd well said, bejacob, I noticed the CY/FFI reference to Marriott brands and meant to mention it but then forgot when a saw the comments about SPG, which seemed so very, very wrong. I'm sorry but the article is a complete dud as it relates to regular hotel users, those being the ones that reach elite levels (i.e. Silver or better) though it may well hold some truth for the very occasional stayer, but I would venture to suggest they would be far better served at Priceline than saving up for years on the 5-15% returns available at the bottom of the loyalty ladder.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...