21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2017 7:43 AM by nationwide RSS

Avoid Elite Nights to improve status level?

execustayjockey Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Marriott rewards so looking for any help/guidance you can give!

My company sent me on a long-term assignment and I'm staying in a Marriott property earning points and Elite nights. The gist of my issue is, if my nights from the second half of December post, I'll never make Platinum, but, if they don't post, I'll make Platinum easily.

To be a bit more specific, I've stayed roughly 52 nights (45 of which have posted) in 2016 and will have another 45 in 2017 due to my project timeline. If these 7 nights from December post, I'll only rollover 2 nights and have a total of 47 (2 rollover + 45 stays in 2017) for 2017. If I ask the hotel to not post my nights however, I will roll over 35 nights and have 80 total for 2017.

Any thoughts on this? Is getting Platinum significantly better than Gold? I might be able to still attain Gold in 2017 if I get lucky but not counting on it.te

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Avoid Elite Nights to improve status level?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Welcome to Insiders execustayjockey!  Once your Rewards number is on a Reservation, you will receive credit, points and nights, for your stay.  It can take up to 10 business days for the stay to post which is probably why it hasn't posted as of yet.  However, if you are interested in reaching Platinum, after your status has upgraded to Gold, you may want to enroll in a status challenge.  For additional details about these challenges, please check out the following thread:  Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

execustayjockey, Cara is spot on here!  You want your Gold status coming into 2017, and then with just 9 stays in the first 3 months, you can achieve Platinum!  What's great is that status will be good for the remainder of 2017 and all of 2018 (notwithstanding any changes to the overall program due to the merger).  Trust me, you want the credit for your nights in 2016!  Congratulations on getting to Gold, and good luck as you pursue Platinum!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll add one additional comment. Other than the ability to earn more points, I didn't notice a huge difference between being Gold versus Platinum. Upgrades might happen a bit more at Platinum, but the bulk of the benefits kick in at the Gold level. That said, once you do hit Gold go for a Platinum challenge, assuming you can make the 9 stays (not nights) over the 3 month period.

elitestatus Gold

bejacob,  if you sign up for the challenge, you still get the nights towards your regular accrual correct?  Asking in case I don't hit the nights needed for the challenge?  For example, I sign up for the challenge, don't hit the right amount of nights to boost to the next level, those nights still count for me in the long run.... 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Yes. Any nights you earn during a challenge count toward your status. A challenge just allows you to gain the next higher level status in an accelerated time frame. If you don't complete a challenge, you still earn the nights. You just don't get to move up to the next level until you earn it the regular way.

For a Platinum challenge, you'd be required to make 9 stays (not nights) over a 3 month period. A stay is defined as "one or more consecutive nights at the same property regardless of check-in, check-out activity." So it's possible to reach the 9 stays by making 9 1-night stays. Many people don't like hotel hopping, so end up with many more than 9 nights over that time period. To move from Silver to Gold, it's 6 stays over 3 months.

If someone is willing to make 9 stays over a 3 month period, Marriott sees that as a good indication that this guest will likely reach 75 nights in a year so they are willing to essentially "advance" you the Platinum status. Of course there is no guarantee that a guest will make any more stays, but generally once someone earns Platinum status, they want to make use of the benefits that go with it.

One last note. You can only attempt one challenge every 12 months. So if someone at the Silver level completes a Gold challenge, that person would not be eligible to take a Platinum challenge in the same year. I know that's a lot of info, but I hope it helps you, elitestatus, and anyone else considering whether to undertake a status challenge.

Good Luck.

nationwide Platinum

elitestatus, I'll pinch hit for bejacob here.  Yes, those nights will still count toward your overall status pursuits for the year, lifetime count etc. 

Important distinction though, status challenges are based on "stays" and not nights.  So, you have to factor that into your travel planning.  If you check in for a 3 night stay, and check out after 3 nights, that just counts as 1 stay.  Some travelers will jump from hotel A to hotel B to hotel C (or back to A) in a city with multiple Marriott options in order to maximize their "stays."  In this example sequence, you would have scored three stays over three nights by switching hotels.   Importantly, checking out of the same hotel and right back in doesn't count.  So, be prepared to move around a bit if you need to in order to maximize your success with "stays."

Happy Travels!  Good luck on your status challenge!

YogiB Platinum

nationwide wrote:

Importantly, checking out of the same hotel and right back in doesn't count.

Actually, some hotels do post different consecutive reservations as different stays. It happened to me at the Delta Winnipeg (allowed me to max out my Summer Mega Bonus). I haven't tried this at other Delta Hotels yet, though (my theory is that it might be a glitch system-wide in a certain version that was distributed around the same time). But bottom line: don't count on this while running around for your status challenge.

nationwide Platinum

YogiB, I have had that happen once too, coincidentally at the Downtown Calgary Delta.  Perhaps it is a Delta issue?  At any rate, I wouldn't want my status challenge hanging in the balance of that issue as you suggest. 

jacq140 Gold

I am in a very similar situation in which I arrived to a Marriott in mid-November and accumulated 46 nights in 2016. I am scheduled to accumulate another 48 nights in Jan/Feb 2017. We have always used my husband's Marriott account, so I just opened an account for this particular trip and started from 0.

I read all of the above comments and suspect you all will tell me to earn my upcoming 48 nights and then two more nights on a separate trip to achieve Gold and thereafter take the Platinum Challenge. However, my question is, if I were to take the gold challenge immediately and achieved Gold Status while I am still here, how would the remainder of my nights in Jan/Feb effect me achieveing Platinum status in 2017? Hope that makes sense... Thank you in advance.

nationwide Platinum

jacq140, you pose a good question.  If I am reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like you are on an extended stay in Jan/Feb.  You would have to move around a bit to take a Gold status challenge (6 stays I believe to qualify).  Yes, that would conceivably get you to Gold sooner.  That would be beneficial in that you would start earning Gold benefits sooner e.g. concierge lounge access, 25% more points etc.

The downside to taking this early Gold challenge is that you would still have to get to 75 nights to achieve platinum status.  That sounds like it could be a stretch for you.  Only one challenge per year is permitted, so you'd have to get to 75 nights the hard way unless you can secure the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa.  That would give you an additional 15 nights plus 1 extra for each $3k you spend.  If you haven't considered the card, I would recommend it as it helps tremendously with yearly status pursuits.  If you earn Gold via 50 nights (or 35 and a credit card), you could then take a Platinum challenge, and with 9 stays (as few as 9 nights), get to platinum.   Platinum for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018 for 59 or so nights would be great!

I hope this is clear enough and helpful.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

peymanagement Platinum

Further to what nationwide advises, If i do the arithmetic, you are a silver who got 46 nights, so you must have a ton of carry over points (36?). If that is the case by no means should you do a gold challenge. wait  until you get gold and sign up for plat challenge if you want, but you will get plat anyway just through stays. The plat challenge will work for you if you are able to check in/check out according to the rules and is in your advantage, but my math says you are going to get plat anyway.

jacq140 Gold

Thank you both for your replies. After dong LOTS of reading today, I now understand rollover points. If all goes as planned, I should leave here in Feb with Plat status. I will feel a lot better next week when my 2017 account fully updates! Thanks again and Happy New Year to all.

peymanagement Platinum

jacq140, scroll up to advice I gave earlier and you will be plat for two years and at least gold until Feb 2020, Take Nationwide's advice on moving around if you can

nationwide Platinum

peymanagement, I may have misunderstood jacq140, but I thought she said she just opened a new account and was starting from zero this year.  You are absolutely correct, if she has rollover nights, she would be in even better shape faster

elitestatus Gold

Ok Got it nationwide.  Thank you!  Here is another question... Do nights spent using points count towards the status challenge?

nationwide Platinum

elitestatus, no unfortunately redemption nights do not count toward a status challenge.  They must be "paid stays" to count. 

I am including a link to carat's helpful tutorial on the subject.  Please just make sure you go to the top of her thread on page 1 for the insights.  And then, of course, there is plentiful reading on the subject over the next 12 pages or so 

Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

bobbywhite Platinum

Get the Marriott Credit Card.  That will give you an additional 15 elite nights a year.  That's how I got to Platinum.  Also, the main platinum perk is the 50% match instead of the 25% match. 

YogiB Platinum

I can only confirm what they other Insiders pointed out.

Take your Gold Elite; it will give you the best boost in benefits, which you can immediately start enjoying as soon as your last stay(s) is (are) posted. You'll get upgrades, plus Concierge Lounge (CL) access and free breakfast in the full service hotels.

You can still easily get to Platinum. The fastest way will be the status challenge: 9 stays within 3 months will get you to the next status and you'll keep it until February 2018. If that's not an option, look at getting the Marriott credit card, good for 15 elite night credits upon approval (and a whole lot of bonus points!) Make sure to follow the special link for MR Elite members to get the bigger approval bonus (currently 80k points for US residents). If you're in the US, you'll even get bonus elite night credits for money spend on your card, on top of the points that you're receiving. And the first year is free any way and every year (including upon approval) you'll get an e-certificate for a free hotel night stay. Check it out!

peymanagement Platinum

execustayjockey, In reading your post, it appears that your travel has peaks and valleys. I think you have got of good advice on here, the one thing that I will add is the "soft landing". So if all rules and practices stay the same, if you did the platinum challenge you would be platinum for the remainder of this year 2017, all of next year (2018) including up to February 2019. At that time, if you have not stayed enough to retain plat it is my understanding that you would soft land to gold which would keep you at gold until February 2020. (that is not policy, but it is current practice to not strip folks back to silver from plat)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...