20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2017 9:00 PM by ella31 RSS

Do Pointsavers Really Exist?

ella31 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone!

I have been enjoying reading this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting a question. So here goes:

I am a Platinum member currently, and have been an MR member for almost 20 years. During that time I have never seen a Pointsaver offer in any of the geographical areas and brands where I have redeemed points.

In addition, it doesn't seem as if there is any realistic way to search for Pointsaver offers. From what I have read and experienced,  it seems like you have to click on "show rates" for each individual hotel to see if that particular hotel has a Pointsaver offer. This quickly gets extremely tiresome, especially when hotel after hotel shows no Pointsaver offers. There doesn't seem to be a way to enter a particular geographic area and particular time frame and and find out which, if any, hotels in that area are providing Pointsavers offers during that period.

In short, this presumed benefit has been completely useless to me. Has anyone had a different experience? If so, tips on how you were able to locate Pointsaver offers would be most welcome!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do Pointsavers Really Exist?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi ella31,

Here's a link that shows which properties are offering PointSavers, as well as the dates of when they are being offered. The link to this page is below.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/marriottRewardsPointSavers.mi

To get there without a link, you would start at Marriott.com, then click "MENU" at the top left of the page, then "Marriott Rewards", then "Use Points" and finally "PointSavers™   Use 33% fewer points at select hotels worldwide" on the right side of the page.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You'd be right in your observation here for the most part. I remember the days when pointsaver nights were common redemption options. As Lindsey's pitiful list shows, alas no longer. Out of Marriotts 4,400 inventory less than 20 now offer pointsavers, and the dates are restricted. Having suffered near-death by 1000 cuts, I can't imagine this facet of the scheme surviving into the new Marriott Rewards program next year...

YogiB Platinum

Most of it doesn't even survive this month.

mustanggt Platinum

I've tried on a number of occasions to find point savers, but never once have I had any luck.  These special offers are few are far between.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I agree.  They are rare, and when you check the point saver page, the list is most often pathetic and/or misleading or even downright incorrect, for example, it says, "Save 33%", but 40,000 instead of 45,000 points/night is not a 33% savings, though still a good thing.  Right now, Ko Olina MVC is offering point savers during Feb/Mar, but it is not advertised on the point savers page.  So you would literally have to just randomly stumble across it.

Having said that, I have stumbled upon and utilized some nice point savers, most recently at the JW Los Cabos, so for me, it remains something worth paying attention to (but ya, it's kind of like winning a raffle prize.)  Crete is on sale this spring, for any lucky takers for whom the timing is right.  That place looks amazing.

Despite the UK as a country not featuring on the list of countries offering pointsavers, I just stumbled upon one... so rare are these specimen that I managed a quick photo before it slipped out of view (as I closed my browser)...

So here it is, the "Lesser Spotted Pointsaver"

IMG_1573.PNG

seatexan Platinum

Oh nice work on capturing this elusive offer!!!

About 2 yeas ago I found a point savers deal at a FF Inn... Yeah I took advantage!

mustanggt Platinum

That's a nice find.  I'm still on the lookout for one.  The problem is they are so rare what are the odds you would stumble on one when and where you are going?

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

They are getting very rare compared to their availability a couple years ago.  Evidently going the way of BOGO and other special offers.

But the link lindseyh provided is the place to find them.

trevfour Platinum

Not so rare as you think brightlybob I can still see Preston and Hollins Hall available, and just searched the Midlands with at least 3 more as per below:

IMG_0483.PNG

seatexan Platinum

I could sure use some London pointsavers!

What do you know, you wait for a decade for a pointsaver then 3 come along at once

Iits worth remembering that the UK isn't even on the list of 6 countries around the world (and 2 US states) offering pointsavers in 2017...

superchief1 Platinum

I think Point Savers awards have basically followed the path of BOGO's and other appealing MR offers. This is surprising because many properties have award classifications that are only justified during their high demand seasons. I would think that point savers awards would be offered during the lower demand seasons, but I guess these properties would rather be vacant.

erc Platinum

That's an excellent thought superchief1. This would resolve the issue of beach properties, which understandably are Cat. 9s in the summer, but drop to < $100 in the winter. Apparently the compensation for points to the operators doesn't make it worthwhile (for one side of the equation), because Marriott as a revenue optimization leader (and liability reducer) would certainly pursue it. 

Oh well, deals, bogos, etc will come back if the economy ever tanks again......terrific (he said sarcastically).

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes erc....I would love to take advantage of lower award totals in the offseason for OC, MD,  Rehoboth, and Bethany Beach.

On a side note...have you stayed at the newer Fairfield on Chincoteague?

erc Platinum

I've had two reservations to "go see Misty" in the pony swim and stuff seems to always come up that appear more convenient than driving out there in July, meaning; it seems like a good idea when I reserve it in February, but then come July and Bay Bridge crowds, it loses some of the romance and I wimp out .

It certainly appears from the photos to be a good looking property,with a relatively rare outdoor pool on the water, and like you say it's new.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

The list is pretty pathetic!

ella31 Platinum

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone!  They were very helpful.

Believe it or not, just a few days after I posted this question, I went to reserve a hotel night with points, and guess what - a Pointsaver offer popped up!  That is literally the only time this has happened, as far as I can recall, in my 20 years as a MR member.  I wasn't even searching around - I had a stay already reserved at this particular hotel and wanted to add one more night to it.  The timing was such a bizaare coincidence that I started to wonder if Marriott is tracking complaints on this forum and engineering surreptitious offers in response to them, but this doesn't seem likely. (But just in case, my next complaint will be about the lack of quality hotels in central Paris for under 50 euros/night!)

To add another layer of irony, I am not sure I am going to even take advantage of this PS offer.  It clearly is for a night when this particular hotel doesn't expect much business, and as a result the cash rate is super low as well.  So I might be better off preserving my points and earning points on the paid night, especially with the upcoming promotion.

I also wanted to thank Lindsey for posting the link to the list, but I echo the other commenters who pointed out how generally useless this list is. In fact, I had already stumbled on this list before I posted my question, but it was so scanty that it never occurred to me that it was supposed to be a comprehensive list of PS offers. And apparently it is not, as the PS offer that popped up for me is not on it.

The list did have a fair number of hotels in other countries, but right now there are only two US hotels listed, and the offer dates for both are now in the past.  So this is clearly not an effective way to find PS offers in the US.  My suggestion to Marriott:  if Pointsavers are supposed to be a real MR feature in US hotels as well as in other countries, please provide us with an effective way to search for these offers!

Again, thanks to all of you for your input.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...