9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2017 9:05 PM by clebert RSS

Elite buy back for 2017

mapleleafmonkey Gold
Currently Being Moderated

https://www.marriott.com/marriott/elitebuyback.mi

Hi there.  I'm new here so forgive my ignorance if this is a repeat question (although I did look and couldn't find anything similar recently).

It looks like there will be an elite buy back promotion for 2017.  My husband lost his job last year so we didn't end up accumulating the required number of nights to maintain gold status for 2017.  I came across an elite buy back promotion online (link posted), but I can't find it in my account anywhere and there are no active links to take part in the promotion.  Would you typically have to QUALIFY for a buy back promotion?  I have more than the required number of points for the buy back promotion.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite buy back for 2017
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

mapleleafmonkey, no you don't need to qualify.  The buy back usually shows up on the Insiders page after statuses are renewed (mid-Jan I think).  I've never done it myself.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

YogiB Platinum

Normally a 2016 status is valid through February 2017. During February more information should pop up on the buy back and often there is a promotional reduced rate until late March ~ early April (if my memory from other threads serves me well).

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Here's the latest on the Elite Buy Back Promotion. The offer expires March 31, 2017, so for anyone unsure whether to spend to points to retain status, you have a couple month to decide.

You'll probably get an email with the offer as soon as status levels for the year are finalized (around the beginning of February). I think you have to wait until you are dropped down to Silver before you can buy back Gold. It will cost 25,000 Marriott Rewards points. Check out the link for details on the other elite levels.

troytraveler Silver

think thats reasonable. my goal is to make gold this year.

elitestatus Gold

That's cool!  I don't need this at the moment but pretty nice that they offer it!  I was not aware

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott a whole lot more reasonable than American was for me to maintain Platinum status!!!!

kumaraswamy Platinum

is it possible to retain the status which was achieved through a challenge?

I am ritz carlton gold through the credit card and achieved platinum through the challenge - can i still retain status?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Yes. How you reached Platinum doesn't matter. As long as you're willing to spend the 40,000 points, you will be able to buy back your status.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

SPG matched my Marriott status back in Oct.

SPG status is good for at least 12 months, and since I was matched to platinum with SPG in October, I stay platinum in 2017 with SPG.

SPG has confirmed the renewal of my platinum status for 2017 even though I didn't stay 50 nights in SPG properties.

SPG also said that the status match with Marriott will remain in place, so my Marriott status will not drop from platinum to gold even though I only had 52 nights at Marriotts in 2016.

So I get a bonus year of platinum status with Marriott without the buyback due to the merging of the programs, and so should the rest of us who got a status match in Oct.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Nobody at MR has confirmed this - all my discussions have been with SPG.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...