56 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2017 9:09 PM by superchief1 RSS

What is your #1 bucket list wish?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to an analysis of 100,000 users' most coveted places, spaces and experiences by BUCKITDREAM's app and reported by USA SNAPSHOTS (in today's USA TODAY LIFE section of the newspaper), "the No.1 wish among travelers is to experience the Northern Lights in person.  No.2 is visiting the Eiffel Tower."

What are the top destinations on your bucket list?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Worldwide
  • Re: What is your #1 bucket list wish?
    rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Phuket Thailand

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chobbits Platinum

^^ Don't make the same mistake I did when I went to Phuket, and pronounced it to rhyme with bucket.

Apparently that's wrong...

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

It's not about the latitude or longitude it's about the state of mind and I agree that clearly rhymes with bucket right or wrong

peymanagement Platinum

razorbackfan, Well i have done both of those. The northern lights unobstructed by any air pollution in both Armstrong northern Ontario and at a mine site in the northwest Territories. i have seen the Eiffel Tower, but would not put that very high. I think my two are a bit odd but come from my childhood both in america. The Masters which i will go to this year and the Rose Bowl.

By the way, tonight is supposed to be one of the best viewings of the northern lights.

Snail5930 Gold

Angkor wat

Egyptian pyramids

seatexan Platinum

Wow, really!? That many people want to see the Eiffel Tower.  Huh! Well it is pretty iconic.

The Northern Lights is on my list!

The beaches of Normandy have been high on my list for many many years.  When I was in 4th grade my uncle took me to see a B-17 that was in Beaumont for the 50th anniversary of D-day.  I was a lover of history before my visit and interested in the second world war, but this was something tangible that really made an impact.  My great uncle was a tailgunner in a B-17 that was shot down 5 months before the invasion.  He lived and became a prisoner of war.  It is huge on my bucket list because those beaches are very significant.  The willpower, courage and sacrifice that crossed the beaches is incredibly moving.  I want to pay my respects to those serving that didn't return home.

I will finally get to do this in May.  If any of you have friends or relatives you wish me to visit and pay my respects to, please let me know.

There are several more I will visit one day like the Ardennes American Cemetery, Netherlands, Saipan American Memorial, and the one on Guadalcanal.

On a lighter note... Salzburg so I can twirl in the mountains like Maria (not even kidding).

superchief1 Platinum

Since I have so many places I want to go, my number one 'bucket list' wish is to be healthy enough to travel for the next 25 years! One trip I'd like to take is the train through the Canadian Rockies, but it is much too expensive at this time (similar to riverboat cruises in the US).

peymanagement Platinum

superchief1, The romantic idea of the train through the Canadian rocky mountains far pre dates the current tour group that is doing this at a very high cost. We did it on "The Canadian" when it was run by CP, and while i enjoyed it, i much preferred driving through the Rocky Mountains. There is only so much rock and snow that you can see before it becomes same old, but there are a lot of cool places to see and stay along the way.

mustanggt Platinum

Being a train buff, I'd like to take a train trip across the USA or Canada and then hop on a cruise ship to Alaska.  Once in Alaska I'd like to sight see, hike, fish, and yes golf.  Like bejacob collecting counties, I collect golf courses in each state.

superchief1 Platinum

If you haven't taken these trips yet, I highly recommend the California Zephry from Denver to Oakland (especially to SLC), and the Coast Starlight from LA to Portland or Seattle. I found these to be the most scenic that I've taken. I've also traveled on the Empire Builder, but the most scenic portions of the trip were when it was dark. The Cardinal through West Virginia is also a very nice journey.

We try to take a long distance train one way each year. It is our way to decompress on our way to our destination.

mustanggt Platinum

Thanks superchief1for the recommendations.  I have just added these train trips to my wish list!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Oh, yes superchief1!  I really want to do the Coast Starlight one day!!  Dying to take a ride on the SP 4449 on day, too. 

superchief1 Platinum

We actually did an excursion on SP 4449 from Sacramento to Portland in 1984 when we lived in Walnut Creek. Even though we had mechanical issues delays on the first day of our trip, this was one of my lifetime highlight trips. Steam engines are amazing and almost living beings. I hope to do an excursion on NW 611 in the next couple of years.

Fantastic superchief1.  Steam engines definitely are amazing, some of my favorite machines period.  I have yet to experience large steam, though.  I've only ever rode on small, industrial steam in Hawaii.  SP 4449 is definitely on the top of my list, though the NW 611 and even the UP Challenger would be awesome too.  And definitely the Durango Silverton one day.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Took the Durango to Silverton trip last August and it was fantastic.  Highly recommend it.

One day   Hopefully in the near future.

superchief1 Platinum

Thanks for the tip. I've added this to my list of planned excursions.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't really think of my travel goals as my "bucket list."

My primary goal is to visit every county seat in the United States (60% completed). Beyond that, while there are many places I'd like to see, I have not put together any kind of a list.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I think Snail5930 hit it exactly on the head for me.  Purely from a tourist point of view, Angor Wat and the Egyption Pyramids would likely top a list that would also include the temples of Bagan in Myanmar (thanks jasper100), an African game drive on a private reserve (thanks to ssindc) and the Mayan temples.  (And Kyoto gardens and Iguassa Falls and, and, .)  More than any of that however, my eyes have begun to be firmly drawn towards Hispaniola, for reasons other than tourism.  Something is a foot with me, though I'm not yet sure jusy what.  Will see where this all leads...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Gosh, Cuba would be great, would it not?  I can't believe how cheap flights are!

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-01-05-Alaska-Airlines-launches-first-West-Coast-commercial-air-service-to-Havana

livno316 Gold

Croatia for 2017........breathtaking untouched Adriatic Coast.   http://www.geekyexplorer.com/7-experiences-in-dalmatian-coast-croatia/

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

The northern lights are on my list too! I've been to Paris and seen the Eiffel Tower, so I can check that one off.

nationwide Platinum

Great question razorbackfan !  The Northern Lights are definitely on my list.... However, Pompeii and Herculaneum are at the top of our list!  We've been talking about this Italy trip for years, and simply need to make it. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I would like to visit all 50 states, and the only ones left for me are Alaska, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island. Spouse's bucket list item is American Samoa.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, razorbackfan, you raise a great point.

My problem is that my bucket list keeps getting longer, not shorter!  Fortunately, I've been (very) lucky with living abroad and enjoying extensive work-related travel opportunities for many years.  But... but ...  there are SO MANY place I haven't been to.... So, here's 10 - in alphabetical order (but it could just as easily be 20, or 30)....

• Angor Wat
    • Cuba
    • Easter Island
    • Galapagos Islands
    • Ice Skate the Ottowa Canal
    • Northern Lights
    • Pagaonia/FitzRoy
    • Petra, Jordan/Pyramids in Egypt (two-fer)
    • St. Petersberg
    • Taj Mahal

Granted, it's maddening how close I've been to many of these.  But you can't do everything.  Or can you?

Still at this point, there's plenty of time...

AZDesertRat Platinum

For international travel, China is a country I am eager to visit, with Greece, Switzerland and Austria close contenders.  Domestically, I want to visit all of the 13 presidential libraries.  Started in 2016 with visits to the Johnson library in Austin, TX, Reagan in Simi Valley, CA, and Nixon in Yorba Linda, CA.  In March will spend some time in the midwest and should be able to get to Truman in Independence, MO, Clinton in Little Rock, AK, and possibly Eisenhower in Abilene, KS. 

YogiB Platinum

My #1 is to see The Phantom on West End, London. Looks like it's going to be realized this summer!

After that: not really something that stands out more than other dream destinations.

seatexan Platinum

Which theater?  This sounds wonderful.

YogiB Platinum

Her Majesty's Theatre in the City of Westminster.
        The show has been there since the beginning, 1986.

I can't find the info any more, but I remember reading or hearing about a special anniversary edition that was (to be?) played at the Garnier Opera in Paris, where the myth of the actual Phantom of Gaston Leroux's book comes from. Having already visited Garnier in the past, I'd pay good money to see the musical rendition in that venue!

seatexan Platinum

Oh wow, that really does sound fantastic!   I need to look into seeing it while there (London) in May.  A few months ago I tried looking things up for May, but I think it was too far off.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I was able to clear 4 major trips in 2016 from my bucket list as follows:

1. Trip in January 2016 to Australia to the Australian Tennis open in Melbourne. This completed my bucket list to attend all four major tennis titles. On this visit, also went to Tasmania, Perth, Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Sydney and Perth.

2. Trip in May 2016 to Japan (our 40th Wedding Aniversary) including Tokyo and Kyoto and the bullet train.

3.Trip in August/September 2016 to Uganda including making treks to see the Gorilla's

4. Trip in November/December 2016 to Antartica including 4 landings on the continent and 2 Zodiac tours on a 21 Day cruise on Seabourn.

By the way, I posted videos of all the trips above. So if you are thinking about adding any of these to your bucket list, feel free to visit my videos to see if they my be places you will want to add to your bucket list!!!

In May 2017 my wife and I will be visiting Borneo, another place on our bucket list.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Mine and my wife's is a week in Ireland.  We were going to go a few years ago but she became ill.  We are shooting for 2018....

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

We spent two weeks in Ireland a few years ago on an educational program. It is great to see a lot of the island. And yes it has an appropriate name the emerald isle as it is very green . Try to get to Donegal and Galway

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks for the info Jersey!!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

and of course Dublin . I used the hop on hop off bus which let me see lot of the sights of the city in one day. Best is Guinness factory. Old Arthur got a 1000 year lease on the brewery so has about 750 years before they get evicted 

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

South Africa; Cape Town and Safari and Israel are probably tops.

droma Platinum

Looking to do WOWAIR to Reykjavik sometime this year or next.  Whether or not we get to scope out the lights will be mostly luck, but either way the geothermal springs and city would be extremely fun.

My top bucket list item is to own a second home/apartment in Rome some day.  I've studied and worked over in Rome and love everything about the city, so having a place over there is the dream.

seatexan Platinum

What is WOWAIR? It sounds like a thrill ride!

droma Platinum

Not so exciting unfortunately, basically Spirit Air for Iceland and some other Euro cities from the US

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yeah, these Euro-low-cost operators sound good, but they're all a squash and a squeeze... but cheap, real cheap. I fly all over Europe with them and never pay more than £100 return. The principle ones I use are RyanScare (Ryanair), SqueezyJet (EasyJet), SwizzAir (WizzAir) and OwwAir (WowAir). I've even flown transatlantic with JetLoo (Jet2) - called JetLoo as frankly the plastic toilet seat is more comfortable than their new "slim profile" no-padding, 29" pitch, non-reclining seats. It's brutal...

YogiB Platinum

I've tried RyanAir in the past. It's like you're strapped in some oversized children's car seat and forced to watch commercials performed live for the entire duration of the flight.

After my London stay, I'll probably take the Stena Line to The Netherlands... a little bit for the budget (30 GBP ticket?) and a little bit for the nostalgia. Really sad that the Stena HSS Discovery doesn't exist any more, I really loved that machine!

""Commercials performed live..." - made me chortle!!!

seatexan Platinum

LOL Bob! These names are so funny!

cubbiebear Platinum

I have dozens but at the top of my list are the following:

1. Antarctica

2. Galapagos Islands

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I can't even think......there are many new places, but I also wouldn't mind going back to a couple that I've seen and spend a month or so...

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Antarctica. South America (anywhere). That would complete my 7 continents.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Rome and the beaches at Normandy are at the top of my list.

MY bucket list country is China, and at long last after 50 years on this planet I will be getting there in July... The Bund, Yu Gardens, Terracotta Army, Forbidden Palace and of course the Great Wall...

chobbits Platinum

Too many places to list ! I want to to the West Coast of the US again, Hawaii, Japan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka....

Id be a good rich person :-)

Great discussion topic, razorbackfan!  My bucket list has been in a constant state of change lately, thanks to shifting priorities.  Most of it revolves around travel, and while many center around what I want to do, in recent years the items that moved to the top of my list are insuring my grandparents get to see/experience what they want while they're still able to.  I'm hoping to cross a big piece of that later this year.

But, still my number one bucket list item is a little out there... It is to see the Earth from orbit, or perhaps even the moon.  Right now thats an insanely expensive endeavor, with Space Adventures quoting at least $10 million for an orbital visit, but as technology continues to evolve, I'm hoping this goal will become attainable within my lifetime. 

YYes, kharada46, earth-rise! Alas, like you, it's way out my budget but Sir Richard Branson reckons Virgin Galactic will be doing it for $30,000 by 2030... I will be on board at that price!

mustanggt Platinum

I suspect you will be on line behind thousands of other "space cadets" at that price!

brightlybob, let's see if he can do it!  And if his competitors can do it as well.  There a handful of options in development now that look promising.  And $30,000?  That's attainable!  Perhaps not by that time for me, but better than $10 million lol

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

kharada46  Never in a million years would I have thought about adding your #1 bucket list destination to my list even though I would have loved to be an astronaut.  I was so impressed when Christa McAuliffe was chosen to go up in space.  Unfortunately, I knew I was not smart enough.  Let's see, in 2030, if I still have $30,000 in my retirement account, I may join @brightlybob on board.

razorbackfan, that was a tragic event for sure.  But in the same way that terror activity in France won't deter from going there, the risks inherent in space flight wouldn't deter me from jumping at the opportunity if I got it! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...