11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2017 5:02 PM by bacon14 RSS

What best to use rewards for?

ilmk0801 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Ok I know that I can use points for items and stays, etc. I'm trying to figure out what best to use my points for?

Should I wait and make sure I have enough for a dream stay or some item that I'm craving? What is the best

things you have used your Marriott Rewards for and why? What made this something that you just had to save

and use your rewards on? Thank you! You guys are the best!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
marriott reward
  • Re: What best to use rewards for?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi ilmk0801 and what an interesting question, one that I'm pretty sure Insiders will give you excellent thoughts/ideas.

For my Wife and I the saving of reward points has always been to take vacations to resorts or long weekends to special places and use the points for the stay.  I don't see me using points to get an item, but that doesn't mean one day I won't find new golf clubs to get with points!

The best use of points have been our two trips to Luxury Resorts in BVI | Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection in the Caribbean.  Totally relaxing spot that looks exactly like the pictures of the resort.  Thankfully we didn't break the bank on the trip as we are very blessed to have amassed a nice stash of reward points.  The resort and neighboring islands have some of the most gorgeous water you'll find close to the U.S. and the resort itself is a more quiet spot on it's own little island which is what we enjoy, more quiet than loud.

We were lucky enough to have a lovely Suite with full kitchen so we got to cook some of our meals which we completely enjoy and a huge balcony overlooking the water.  I think in the 10 nights we've stayed at Scrub we have fallen asleep on the balcony in the comfortable chairs and lounges while enjoying some wine.  Cannot tell if you the TV's in the Suite worked as we have yet to turn one of them on.

Just my perspective on saving/using Marriott Reward points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ilmk0801 Member

Wow IAHFLYR that sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing. It's nice to know that's out there. My hubby has been dreaming of an island getaway...we just might have to save up our points! As far as items...maybe they should get some autographed golf clubs with a personal caddy and driver..then maybe you'll bite?

curiousone Platinum

IMHO, the Travel Package. After that, stays at Marriott hotels that I could never justify paying the $s for. This Friday my wife and I will spend the night, on points, at the JW Desert Ridge to celebrate her birthday. A bit late, but the JW was booked on her B-day weekend last month. Planning on a noon arrival with a 1 PM depart so we can get full value from the adder for the Griffin Club at JW Desert Ridge.

ilmk0801 Member

What a sweet treat! I wish her the best birthday! Desert Ridge sounds very intriguing! I'm getting so many ideas! I feel like a kid in a candy shop! I wish you the best stay!

bacon14 Platinum

Historically I have saved up my points and then used them to treat my mom to some amazing places that she wouldn't normally get to experience.  5 nights at the Ritz Carlton in NYC across from Central Park was my most recent splurge on her.  With the standard rate at the time of $995, I'd have to say 5 nights for free was an excellent use for my points!  Mom absolutely loved the location and everyone at the hotel went above and beyond to make her feel special. 

ilmk0801 Member

oh I love your id! bacon is SO good!!! That is so sweet of you to do that! Another great idea! I knew if I asked ya'll I would be golden and get plenty to make the best decision with my points. I agree that was an excellent use for points! I wonder if the lux would be lost on my kids though? My dad never goes anywhere Wonder who I got my travel bug from! lol!

bacon14 Platinum

I'm sure you can find plenty of amazing places that your whole family would enjoy and appreciate!  My husband certainly would not have been all that excited about staying at the Ritz, but my mom ..... WOW!  She had to take pictures of everything in the room to show her friends.  Just for her excitement and enjoyment, it was the best use of my points!  A great memory lasts a lifetime and that's hard to beat

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Keep in mind that whatever hotel you cchoose, 5 night stays are the best use of points because when you use points to pay for 4 nights, the 5th night is free!

ilmk0801 Member

Since I haven't used any points yet, I did not know this! So if you use points you can get a 5th night for free also?! Good to know

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Excellent coverage for your question at Best value of using points other than free stay

ilmk0801 Member

Oh thank you! Much appreciated! I did not see this out there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...