13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2017 10:32 AM by seatexan RSS

Paying with points but MUST pay cash as well....

seatexan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am booking my last hotel for my European vacation.  I am trying to use points for a one night stay in Rome.  The rooms are all asking me to pay in points AND pay cash...

There aren't many Marriotts in Rome, so my only two real options are:

Rome Marriott Grand Flora

High Floor Junior Suite, 1 Bedroom Junior Suite, 1 King, Sofa bed, City view, High floor

45,000 points PLUS 200 Euros.  - It is a suite... but it's a lot for one night!

Boscolo Exedra Autograph Collection

Deluxe, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)

45,000 points PLUS 150 Euros.

These are all upgrades and my only options unless I want to pay more euros for an even bigger "upgrade"...but I don't need an upgrade, it is just one night.  I find this odd!  I just want a regular room!

Usually there are only regular rooms left.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Maybe I should keep checking back?  Do you think they REALLY ran out of regular rooms?

I need to be in a pretty central location.  These are close to the train station which is perfect. 

Anyone have any SPG properties they recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Paying with points but MUST pay cash as well....
    droma Platinum

I was going to recommend G-Rough because it's in the perfect city center location right off Piazza Navona, but it looks like 30,000 SPG points per night in the summer, my gosh!!!  I will say, both of the Marriotts are half a mile to a mile away from the sites and liveliest areas, not that far when you're walking around in Rome, but it may be worth it to branch off for one night.  I feel that 45K points should never come with a price tag attached to it as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

I'll be staying in May.  30,000 SPG is a lot... ouch!  G-rough is a SPG property?

I think the St. Regis is 20k in May.  I'm staying in May .  I will have blown ALL my points for this 3 week trip.  I have 55k in Marriott left that I can get about 18k in SPG.  I'll need a few more and maybe shelling out $70 (to buy extra) is worth it to stay at the St. Regis.

I only have one night in Rome, so I need to be pretty central....or at least I think I do in my head.

peymanagement Platinum

Sea, I have been to Rome but not actually stayed in Rome, It does have an extensive transit system that is typical in Europe and a lot of the stuff you will want to see will require you to move around, so do you need to limit yourself to the two central hotels as it may be limiting you.

seatexan Platinum

Well most of the things I want to see are scatted around the Pantheon.  If I could stay at the Pantheon, then that would REALLY be central to everything on my list!   The Vatican is the farthest thing out.  The day after I land in Rome is the day I have to catch a train from Roma Termini (that late afternoon) to Florence.  Those Marriotts are just REALLY close to the hub.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

No agree that 45,000 points a night should not have a price tag attached, but should come with a Butler!!

Have you looked at the prices of the room without using points?  Not that it would be much cheaper if any, but you'd keep those points for another stay.

bacon14 Platinum

Is your Rome date in May flexible at all?  I just took a quick look at found a few dates in May where you could stay at the Boscolo for 45k points and no additional cash.  I remember when I booked my Rome trip I had to play with the dates a bit to find rooms available for points months in advance!

seatexan Platinum

Sadly no... Everything is so close, it had to be packed down solid with getting flights.  The trains give a bit more flex, but not so much flights.  I had to make a spreadsheet for this trip, I have so many one nighters.  

I am going to need a vacation of rest after

bacon14 Platinum

I'll be looking forward to the trip download when you get back!!!  Maybe throw in a reservation and keep checking back to see if anything with points opens up?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I have never been to Rome, but if it were me facing 150+ Euros AND points to stay at Marriott-affiliates, I would definitely go to TripAdvisor and seek out an alternative. Just for S&Gs, using May 11, 2017, the Palazzo Navona Hotel, ranked 30th, is at $249 USD on Priceline.

seatexan Platinum

Yes, I think I am going to look outside the box now.

I do have CLOSE to enough points for a night at the St. Regis Rome:

The St. Regis Rome, Italy, Official website

It looks so nice!!! I could buy the last 2k from SPG at $70.  So $70 for a night there is pretty darn good!  SPG isn't asking me to pay points AND cash at least. 

I will check out this Palazzo!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...