28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2017 1:38 PM by peymanagement RSS

What Did You Do For January 1, 2017?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yes Insiders it is 2017 so how did you spend your day yesterday?

It is a Southern U.S. tradition to have Black-eye Peas as they are thought to bring prosperity in the new year, so we slowly cooked them for most of the day on the stove with some Ham put in the pot for a little bit more flavor.  Next, my slow cooked fall off the bone Ribs that started last year with my dry rub and leaving them sit overnight, then in the oven being cooked in beer at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.  Fire up the grill to 600 degrees and sear them for three minutes on both sides then cool the grill down to 250 degrees and baste them in BBQ Sauce for another two hours turning them when the BBQ Sauce gets a nice caramel look to it.....yummmmo!

Of course a bit of Champagne to help enjoy the day outside in the 70 degree temps, isn't this supposed to be winter?

20170101_161233.jpg20170101_161304.jpg20170101_161412.jpg

What better than to be home relaxing and grilling, not much I say!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Guelph, Canada
  • Re: What Did You Do For January 1, 2017?
    nationwide Platinum

Love the pictures!  Would have loved them more if I'd gotten an invite to enjoy some of those scrumptious looking ribs!  We add a pot of collard greens to our Southern New Year traditions.  Black-eyed peas for health and greens for wealth is the old saying   They complemented a nice pork loin too!  Yum!  Anxious to hear about New Year's traditions from elsewhere around the globe too.  How about it Insiders?  Great question IAHFLYR!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

You forgot about the invitation then if would appear!   Our greens were in the form of a salad.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

New Year's Day was pretty quiet for me. Having gone to Cleveland for the New Year's Eve concert with the Cleveland Pops Orchestra in Severance Hall, I spent the late morning driving the 2+ hours home. That did mean another night at Marriott, so once it posts, 2016 ended with 104 nights.

The CY at University Circle is about a 5 minute walk from the concert hall. Since the complimentary shuttle stopped running at 10pm, I was pleased the weather wasn't took cold for the walk back. Even saw a few fireworks at midnight. My leftovers from Mia Bella in Little Italy just around the corner form the CY made for an easy dinner Sunday night (why cook on New Year's if you don't have to ).

Capped of the evening with the brand new episode of Sherlock. Overall, quite the relaxing day.

OMG, Severance Hall is still open?  A golf buddy of mine and I were just talking last week about Severance Hall, too small a world.

peymanagement Platinum

That sounds cool bejacob, I would be interested to know if your new years eve posted as 2017 of 1016. according to my App i have one 2017 stay so it would appear that mine posted 2017.

It posted today, but it appears as 2016 activity. The website shows 104 nights "this" year, so that's right for 2016. As I recall, it usually takes a week or so for the site to reset. The mobile app shows the correct points (after my 12/31 stay) and 0 nights for the year, so it must have already reset.

peymanagement Platinum

Thanks, i always find end of year confusing. Mine appears to be 2017 because the app shows one and on the main page i shows 100 percent  of 2017 earned points as "hotel" vs 0 for bonus and 0 for card. Just odd. really does not matter other than it is better to get the extra night in 2016 as it would count as a carry over in lifetime.

YogiB Platinum

Around midnight we were in the Club Lounge (or M Lounge?) at the Delta Montreal to watch the fireworks.

2017-01-01 00.17.30.jpg

We did our part of the animation for the other travellers, since there wasn't any staff working in the lounge.

The next morning we profited from the late breakfast buffet (open until 11h30) and the pool / hot tub.

Checked out at 4PM sharp.

At night, my gf made some amazing deer burgers, we watched The Secret Life Of Pets and went to bed not too late.

The evening got a bit overshadowed by learning that friends of ours had a huge fire. Not such a happy new year for everybody.

jt15550 Platinum

Flew from Kansas City to San Diego on New Year's Eve and arrived at the Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle with about 30 minutes to spare before ringing in the New Year, Pacific Time.  Got to see the miserable Maria Carey performance everyone had been talking about on FB along the way.  Thankfully, they did everyone a favor by keeping the bar open until well past 12:30.  The next day (Jan 1), I then hopped on the metro and headed east to Qualcomm Stadium, where my Kansas City Chiefs handily defeated the San Diego Chargers (possibly the last San Diego Chargers game ever), with one of the best team records in the last two decades.  With a little help from another game won the AFC West division, achieved a #2 seed in the playoffs, and a home game in two weeks.

With all the travel I had been doing over the last two years, it was great to make a trip on my own terms with a memorable result (at least to me). 

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I love the question, and love the ribs meal.  Great job, and Yum!!  I hope you added some booze to the sauce/marinade for depth of flavor!

We don't have much in the way of New Years Eve traditions, as I am not a late night owl (and still working), and pretty much consider it to just be another date on the calendar. I have friends however, who consider New Years Day as an opportunity to take stock of life and goals, and establish new milestones for the new year, and I applaud such a thoughtful, deliberate strategy. We have other friends who go all out (like bejacob and his pops orchestra - well done!), serving a family prime rib dinner, and - very impressive, hats off indeed. We did serve a standing rib roast at Christmas, and it was a happy, decadent, holiday pleasure.

In the past, I have done a ham and homemade potato salad on New Year's Day, but this year, we broke with tradition, making a pot of homemade clam chowder served with rustic French bread from our local boulangerie (ya, culture is surprisingly alive and well in California's Central Valley...)

What I might offer as something that may be of interest to Marriott Rewards elite qualification enthusiasts... I had decided to request a platinum challenge beginning January 1st.  Interesting however, was that the Marriott Rewards Customer Support line was closed on Sunday, January 1st, which I only found out by calling in advance.  They informed me that they can't forward or back date a platinum challenge. I had a reservation booked for an Autograph Collection property in Santa Cruz On Jan. 1st.  Because I could not sign up on Jan. 1st, I cancelled the reservation.  The good news is that it was explained to me that if I sign up after the first of the month, I will have all of the remainder of the month, plus the next three months after that to meet the requirements for the platinum challenge, which means I'll have almost 4 months (til the end of April) to complete the requirements (9 stays in 3 months) for the platinum challenge. Easy peasy!  The first stay will be next Friday at Irvine Marriott. 

Happy New Year, fellow Insiders.  May each of you realize some of your goals and dreams this next year!

Oh please do send some of your chowder this way.....me love me some....ahh huh!!

Good strategy on the Platinum challenge, pluto77. Knock that out early in the year so you can enjoy the benefits for as long as possible.

peymanagement Platinum

New years eve was at Delta Guelph where we had a nice dinner in the hotel restraunt and new years was packers v lions. I am interested in the black eyed peas IAHFLYR, what do you put in them other than ham? pluto77, on Christmas, we departed from tradition and went with Clam Chowder and home made bread, it seemed fitting given that it was snowing and sleeting out.

Location Brand Hotel
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Guelph, Canada

peymanagement, my Wife put in white onion chopped up nice and tiny, same small chopped jalapeno, ground black pepper, Himalayan pink salt,  some low sodium chicken broth and a bit of water.  Don't ask how much as I have no idea nor does she, just does it by sight!!

tplyons87 Platinum 5 Reviews

It happens to be the girlfriend's birthday so it was a family-filled day of stuffing our faces before New Years Resolutions kick in. From here we went back to our apartment to watch the ball drop over a few drinks. We kept it low-key this year!

bacon14 Platinum

Ski.JPG

A little morning ski on the misery sticks and the rest of the day trying to thaw out.  IAHFLYR I could've really used some of those delicious looking ribs for refueling!

That's a great picture bacon14.....what was the temp?

bacon14 Platinum

Thanks IAHFLYR!  It was about 16 but hard to complain too much about the cold when that's the view!

j&c Platinum

Worked all day on completing year/month end processes. Took the 2nd off J

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Didn't have time for any of that cooking, partying, friends and family nonsense. Football! All day!

chobbits Platinum

Lay in a darkened room with cucumber covering my entire body, whilst listening to Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP) play whale music

Just a normal Sunday, really

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

We have a strict order of play for New Years day. Christmas is about the kids... New Years is for the grown-ups.

Smoked salmon, scrambled egg and bucks fizz starts the day, refilling glass regularly till lunch of freshly carved gammon ham sandwiches with bottles of Batemans bitter followed by a couple of hours down the pub with father in law and eldest son watching Spurs slaughter Watford while the girls did the washing up and roasted the Beef Joint. Returned just in time to carve the joint and spent the rest of the evening working our way through my collection of single malts. Tough day!

trevfour Platinum

Bob, I don't think I could keep up with you in the drinking stakes!

I would have been 'under the table' before you got to the pub.

DId you just happen to watch Spurs v Watford, or are you a supporter?

We surely both can't originate from the same small Lincolnshire town and support the same football team.

I much preferred the thrashing of Chelsea last week by the way!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, Trev, the Spurs-Watford was just what was on! Strangely I've always supported Manchester City, mainly to tick off my Dad, a ManU man! Seen Man City through some grim times - whilst I lived in Boston, Leeds and Birmingham - to today's sunny uplands, though only moved to Manchester 5 years ago!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...