7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2017 7:51 PM by YogiB RSS

Which has More Value, MR Points or Miles?

jw99 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I've always taken MR points, and now have 2 million+ lifetime. Can anyone offer an opinion on which offers more value, points or miles?

thanks,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Which has More Value, MR Points or Miles?
    jt15550 Platinum

Here's an objective view, although I personally will not redeem Marriott points for stays unless the value is 1.5 cents or greater. 

What Are Points & Miles Worth? November Monthly Valuations

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jw99 Platinum

The Points Guy is a huge SPG fan, and I don't really see the value in SPG either. Same points earned for stays but it takes 3x as many to redeem when compared to MR.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi jw99,

Here is a link where you can check out the conversion rates between points and miles.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi 

You also have the option to purchase airline tickets directly with your Marriott Rewards points at this link:

https://www.marriottrewardsairandcar.com/travel/arc.cfm?tab=a

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

jw99 Platinum

Thanks for sharing, but 1.3 million points for 2 one-way first class tickets to LHR?? I booked the same with 140,000 Delta miles. I've looked at Marriott's airfare deals and have never found anything reasonable. I think MR points have the most value at Marriott properties. Especially the stay 4 nights on points and the 5th night is free.

Maybe the United miles deal has some value -- I'll take a closer look.

Thanks for the help!

jt15550 Platinum

The best value prior to Sunday was the Hotel + Miles transfer to Southwest, which would count towards Companion Pass status.  Sadly, that rule has been changed within the last 72 hours, which means after this year I probably won't have that benefit again.  :|

droma Platinum

I agree with the 5th night free creating the most value.  That is why I always try to make vacations last either 5 or 10 nights exactly.  This summer, I'll be doing my first 7 night travel package which also seems like a good deal (6 nights worth of points for the hotel - still 1 night free, and a 1:1 point transfer to the airline).

I think a good rule of thumb is points/miles are usually most valuable when earned and redeemed within the program they originate. Transferring/choosing to earn in another program typically comes with some sort of dilution.

In the OP's case I'd keep on earning (and start spending some) Marriott points.

YogiB Platinum

I've done math on many reward programs I'm a member of. Bottom line is that normally the best return rate is using the points at the company of the program owner. So use your MR points at Marriott, SPG points at Starwood, MilagePlus miles at United, etc.

Earning miles directly through Marriott has a terrible rate. However, since you can freely switch, look out for the promotions (I know there are a lot Aeroplan promotions with Marriott/Delta). Also, Marriott allows for a larger amount of MR points to be exchanged towards airline miles, which makes for a lot better deal.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...