6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2017 9:33 AM by painedplatinum RSS

Courtyard Bistro Falls Flat - Courtyard San Diego Hotel Circle

jt15550 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Having done quite a bit of travel in the last two years, I've geniunely been impressed with the vast majority of Marriott properties, but this is the first time I feel like I have to make a comment that some definite improvements need to be made.  As as matter of fairness, I try to judge a JW by a JW, and a Fairfield by a Fairfield.  I just left the Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle after a two-night stay, and while most things - check-in/check-out, room, room quality, etc was fine and as expected, the morning's - both mornings - Bistro experience was downright awful.

Even though the menu isn't extravagant, I actually like the Bistro selections - as long as you're not planning on partaking several days in a row due to lack of variety.  I had prior never had a bad experience.  But it occurs to me that of all these times, there is rarely more than 2-3 folks in the Bistro at once.  In this case, there were 7 or more tables being served at the time.  It wasn't my any means crowded, but everything still just fell apart.  My experience was as follows:

1) It took 45 minutes to order and receive my food - 10:15am to 11:00.  I was second in line ordering.  During the wait, they brought over someone else's food (two plates for one person?), which was fine, but when I finally received my breakfast, it was in a to-go tray with plastic utensils in a bag.  I was confused.  They weren't out of plates as everyone else had them, and the only reason I could possibly think they brought my order 'to-go' was because I was standing.  I'd been sitting the entire previous day so I felt like standing, and I had no intention of going anywhere.  It was probably an incorrect although well-meaning assumption.

2) No condiments (salt, pepper, ketchup, butter, jelly, etc) on the tables.  Other Courtyards bring you a little tray on the side.  It was only after two pieces of dry toast that I figured out a small amount of butter and grape jelly was included in the bag.  Which I spread with a spoon, because there was no knife.  The fork pretty much broke immediately.  That's $16 well spent.

3) The 'mild/breakfast blend' coffee was out, and the kiosk was a absolute mess.  I'm a single guy at present, and even I wouldn't let my kitchen get this bad. This is probably an issue of staffing, as there were only 2 or 3 people working the register and bussing tables.  The picture below may not fully capture the damage.

3a) The coffee is out in the open, so there's no reason to order a medium or large.  Why did I even bother?

4) On day two (this morning), I saw 6-7 people in line for the Bistro upon leaving the elevator, and checked Yelp.  I immediately headed for the 'Bunz' restaurant in a neighboring Days Inn, just 100 yards away.  For the same price, I got a huge ham and cheese omelette, potatoes, biscuits and gravy and a coffee.  And it took 45 minutes room-to-room.  I would have rather eaten at the Courtyard, but just couldn't.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer with this review, but having stayed at many, many other properties - I know that it can be done better, and in my opinion it needs to be.  By contrast, the late-night bar service provided by Todd was fantastic.  Just stellar.  Unfortunately, since the official online 'reviews' are by invitation and I don't see a way to easily contact the hotel directly, this is my go-to option.

Pics below:

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

PS - When someone asks about walking to Qualcomm Stadium (which, unfortunately may not be a going concern) instead of saying it's a 90-min walk, please inform them that it's 10 minutes to the tram and $6 for an all-day pass.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
  • Re: Courtyard Bistro Falls Flat - Courtyard San Diego Hotel Circle
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You paid how much for what?  From your story and photos I'd say you should call 911, as you got ROBBED!!

I've not stayed at any CY in quite some time and each time I read of this type situation I am very glad that we've managed to avoid them.  Hard beds I hear have been replaced in some and the only saving grace I can find is that most have a good bar and bartenders who pour a nice drink.  I do walk across the parking lot from the RI we stay at in Gulf Coast Town Center, Ft. Myers, Florida to the CY and see our bartender pal Jeff as he's almost like family, but last time they had cut the weekend bar service down to nothing other than what the Bistro has which is some rot gut selection of wine and beers. 

Come on CY, clean up your act.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jt15550 Platinum

I'm cheap, and when paying out of pocket or points like Courtyard for what it is.  Good room with solid internet access for my 2-3 day stay.  But yeah, I'm eating breakfast and thinking 'well this is just sad'.  I will say this Courtyard had the absolute best bartender and bar I've seen in a while, which made NYE and last night worth it.

PSS - Another note, if Courtyard is supposed to be 'business-ready', than the booths/tables need plug-ins.  And USB, if possible.  I had to head to the airport early because there was no place to plug-in after check-out.

superchief1 Platinum

The Courtyard Bistro is the main reason I avoid Courtyards (except for the few that have independent restaurants on site). I am disappointed that Marriott hasn't admitted their mistake and tried something different. CY is supposed to appeal to business travelers, but the Bistro is slow, expensive, and food quality is below McDonalds.

erc Platinum

This post epitomizes to me, the need to "go along to get along" when dealing with Marriott (i.e., we just can't use logic in determining or altering Marriott's highly successful strategy).  jt15550 is by no means one to rant or vent, practically apologizing for highlighting the deficiencies of the property and IAH and Super are long time road warriors who know, understand, and appreciate (and will pay for) value.

I agree with everyone's insightful statements above and yet Courtyard remains, as oft cited and confirmed by my Marriott muckety muck friends, a highly profitable brand, (and along with Residence Inn, the only two brands in every U.S. state).

This also points out some of the goofiness of Marriott's 'in-house' reviews; this property rates a 4.1, yet has some of the worse reviews of all (19 ones, which I regard as terrible and 28 twos, which I regard as bad - yet, even in that group, many recommend the hotel ! ).

Oh well, what are you going to do? Like bikesdestroy who writes What's your best redemption story? | Marriott Rewards® Insiders  about working for a company for over 13 years traveling 300 nights a year only to be downsized, teaches us that the millennials have got it right about not giving away loyalty; I interact accordingly with Marriott - arms length.

ps- what's with all the wacky two month old posts popping up out of nowhere (and often not even having the last reply as the last reply (nationwide,  please assign a task force to get to the bottom of these shenanigans ). I won't comment about the wave of recent responses to four to six year old posts (although, I guess I just did).

Like the Residence Inn comedy (?) video, I just don't get it - so back into my cave I go History from the Stone Age – to the Stoned Age. | pearlsofprofundity

Happy New Years to one and all.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...