13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2016 12:23 AM by nationwide RSS

Did requirements change to keep account active?

coupons Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I was checking my MR account and found this wording

Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 12/21/18

I thought so long as you use your credit card your points will not expire.

Thoughts please Carat

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Did requirements change to keeps account active?
    nationwide Platinum

coupons, my understanding is that you must have some qualifying activity every 2 years, or your points expire.  Earning points, or using them, is considered qualifying activity, including use of the Marriott branded credit card.  That said, I think they reload a refreshed expiration date into your profile once every week or two, or maybe billing period (when you earn more points), so that might explain your expiry date gap in your account from current date.

The expiration has been around a long time, but was just introduced as truly enforced in the last year or two.  I want to say February of this past year... Marriott's expiration period is twice as long as other key competitor  programs.  Once you hit lifetime platinum, the expiration date requirement  goes away altogether.  All you need is qualifying activity: make a stay, earn points, burn points etc and the clock resets. I hope this helps! 

Below is an excerpt from the Terms & Conditions (Paragraph 8)

POINTS EXPIRATION POLICY: Members must remain active in the Rewards Programs to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member is not active for 24 consecutive months, that Member will forfeit all accumulated Points. The Rewards Program will start enforcing this policy on February 1, 2016. Members can remain active in the Rewards Programs and retain accumulated Points by earning Points or Miles in the Rewards Programs or redeeming Points in the Rewards Programs at least once every 24 months, subject to the exceptions described below.

If a Member does not maintain an active status for five consecutive years, the Member's account may be deactivated. Once Points have been forfeited, the Points cannot be reinstated, but a Member can earn new Points, unless that Member's account is deactivated too.

1. Not all Points activities help maintain active status in the Rewards Programs. The following activities do not count toward maintaining an active status in the Rewards Programs:

• gifting or transferring Points; however, converting Points to Miles or Miles to Points does count toward maintaining an active status
      • receiving Points as a gift or transfer
      • earning Points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints
      • the transfer of points from a Member’s Rewards Program account to their SPG Program account, or the transfer of points from a Member’s SPG Program account to their Marriott Rewards account. Note that following the transfer of points across accounts, the points expiration policy of the account to which the points were transferred will apply to such points.
      • Linking a Rewards Program account with a SPG Program account
    1. Rewards redeemed by a Member prior to Point forfeiture are still valid even though the Reward may not have been fulfilled at the time of Point forfeiture.
    2. The points expiration policy does not currently affect the Points in Elite Lifetime member accounts; however, the Rewards Programs may choose to apply a points expiration policy to Elite Lifetime member accounts in the future.

Message was edited by: nationwide to add the applicable terms and conditions for ease of reference

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Spot on expertise nationwide, thanks!!  To echo whats said above, keeping your Marriott Rewards Credit Card Active will also keep your Rewards account active.  The expiration date will update each month on or around when your MRCC credits have posted to your account.  This is usually within 10 business days of when payment is received.  If you would like, coupons, I can take a look and provide clarity on your most up to date expiration date, just let me know.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

You can buy 1000 points for $12.50. They post quickly and get people out of jams vs. expiring.

coupons Gold

tker  thanks I am aware of that.  My point is that sentence on our rewards page only mentions two options:

book a stay

use points

Those of us in the know understand that using the credit card is considered activity on the account.  This is not stated in the info provided on our rewards account

Re: purchasing points if you follow the sentence it does not say buy points, it says use points

Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 12/21/18

• Re: Did requirements change to keep account active?
    coupons Gold

To Carat and Nationwide

I am aware of using the credit card.  I am pointing out that the following wording "Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 12/21/18" does not state the credit card as a means of keeping an account active.  This statement is part of the activity listed on your Marriott Rewards account.

People who may not be familiar with all the options would think that they needed to stay at a property or use points to remain active

nationwide Platinum

coupons, you are right.  And, I suspect that's exactly what Marriott would prefer people do.    It's no small wonder that credit card activity is  in the fine print, right?  Of course, what you are referring to is one of the many thoughtful gentle reminders Marriott offers us on a host of topics.  It's up to us to read and know the terms and conditions in the fine print.  You are on to them!  Good eye! 

coupons Gold

One more point:

the statement is listed under activity in you reward account; once you scroll down to the bottom of that page in very small print you will find:

Rewards Terms And Conditions

Keeping Your Account Active - Marriott Rewards Points Expiration

when you click the link, you then find the complete info regarding account activity

this link should be included as the third option in the sentence: Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 12/21/18, so that people new to the program understand how to keep the account active

nationwide Platinum

coupons, one more thought that I didn't mention earlier... not everyone has a credit card.  In fact, it's but a percentage of the rewards membership that actually carries the card.  The guidance is intended to hit the center of the audience, and not account for every possibility.  So, now that I have reread your concerns, I think that issue has more to do with the matter at hand.  They couldn't possibly list every points related issue in that limited space.... think about all the MVCI ownership permutations they would have to consider.  As is, it's covered, in the fine print of course. I don't really think they are out to mislead anyone.  There are a lot of issues to cover.

Happy New Year!

coupons Gold

First and foremost Happy New Year

It wouldn't be a terrible thing to add the link where it states how to keep account active; so the sentence would read

Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay, use some of your points; please click Keeping Your Account Active - Marriott Rewards Points Expiration

Just saying

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...