13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2017 12:56 AM by elitestatus RSS

Silver to Gold... SO CLOSE sigh...

elitestatus Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So it looks like I could miss my upgrade gold elite status unless I stay three more nights out of the remaining 4 nights left in the 2016 year.  Just wanted to check to see if they definitely cut it off on December 31 and I have to start over again on January 1 or is there any kind of grace period into January when I know I'll have at least 3 overnights at a Marriott?  Any other thoughts?  I had an awful stay at a recent hotel stay and maybe I could have used that experience as a way of getting an extra rewards night credit....  I was gracious and didn't complain.  Silver Elite is nice but I know Gold is nicer with potential upgrades right? I'm so clooooose!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Silver to Gold... SO CLOSE sigh...
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi elitestatus.  Welcome to the forum!  I have reached out via direct message as I'd like to provide clarity and support.  Talk soon

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

elitestatus Gold

Thank you carat !  I appreciate the welcome as I'm learning my way around here   I replied to your message.  Looking forward to your comments!  Thanks in advance!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

And a very happy (nearly) New Year to you, elitestatus

The end of year cutoff is strictly 31st December, but do not sigh too much. Your numbers present various opportunities to get to that coveted Gold status, with room upgrades, lounge access and guaranteed breakfast everywhere (except Courtyards!)

Firstly, the simple one... Marriott may compliment you the status as you got so close. The invitation to message directly with the ever-helpful carat may well be along those lines.

Secondly, in the absence of a comp, you should find your rollovers make Gold an easy target for 2017. As you're at 47 nights now and assuming you had no rollovers last year then you will start 2017 with 37 rollover nights hence needing only 13 nights to make Gold. Get the Marriott credit card and it comes with 15 elite night credit... next thing you know, you're Gold, and indeed are only 23 nights short of Platinum...

Thirdly, if you started 2016 with lots of rollovers from 2015, then you might not rollover much, in which case a challenge to Gold may be your best bet. You can read more here... Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

I hope all this helps to get you over that hump and into the lounge!

elitestatus Gold

Thank you brightlybob!  You have given me hope!!  I guess I need to read up on the rollover situation!  I don't quite understand how I get to start 2017 with 37 nights but I'm going to find out for sure!  Going to also review the status challenges, so thank you for the link.  You've been ever so helpful and encouraging!!  I couldn't believe how close I was and the thought of running out of days of the year to make it was making me crazy.  I want to be in the lounge!  Thats where all the fun happy people, like you are! 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Check out this post How to Calculate Rollover Nights.

In your case, any nights in excess of 10 (the number needed to attain Silver status) would rollover. As brightlybob correctly notes, any rollover nights from the previous year would not count again so if you had any, those would need to be subtracted first.

It sounds like even if you end up a few nights short, your path to Gold early in the new year will be an easy one. Good luck and don't forget to post here again once you reach Gold.

elitestatus Gold

oooooh right!  Ten nights = Silver.  Thank You! bejacob.

gopopy Platinum 1 Reviews

No one mentioned the points also needed to reach Gold Status. 

There is no points requirement. The yearly requirement is 50 nights. 

Now if you're thinking about lifetime status, that's a different issue. To reach lifetime Gold, you need 500 lifetime nights AND 1.6M lifetime points. Once lifetime status is reached, there is no longer a requirement to earn 50 each year to retain Gold status.

cubbiebear Platinum

I was 2 nights shy of Platinum status myself so I contrived a business trip this week to get the status upgrade. Pathetic, I know.

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

I think this makes sense. Obviously with this many stays, you use hotels a great deal. And going up in status will pay off in the long run

elitestatus Gold

I feel ya cubbiebear!  It's maddening isn't it?  I think, in your case, totally worth it tho!  Enjoy that status in 2017!

Well, based on the new little gold circle beneath your avatar, it would appear you made to Gold after all. Enjoy access to the concierge lounge and the possibility of upgrades in 2017.

elitestatus Gold

Thank you!  I took my family on a mini vacation and posting here helped!bejacob

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...