2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2010 10:18 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Cash conversion value of Marriott points

cyberrik50 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I typically convert my weeks to Marriott Reward points for trave. Has anyone out there used the $0.01/point value to deduct the cost of hotel rooms for business purposes?

When I joined the program and according to my current research, $1000 USD equals about $0.01/Marriott rewards point.

Appreciate your feedback, especially from the CPAs and tax attorneys out there.

Rick Garris

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cash conversion value of Marriott points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Rick

Welcome to Marriott Insiders and thanks for posting.  Marriott's T&C's  (paragraph 9) stipulate:

"Marriott Rewards points, rewards and airline miles earned through participating in Marriott Rewards may be subject to tax liability. Any tax liability, including disclosure, connected with the receipt or use of Marriott Rewards points, rewards or miles is the sole responsibility of the member."

While I do understand what you're asking, the topic is a very slippery slope.  For at least two decades, the US Internal Revenue Service has been eyeing benefits like Marriott Rewards Points as potentially taxable. A step in that direction undermines the value of the program, not just for Marriott but for the entire industry. Marriott Rewards has been around 26+ years and some Elite have unspent balances in the millions.  Should the government impose a tax on the unused balance or only what's used?  One could argue that Marriott, Hilton, Starwood and IHG own their respective points and therefore the owning entity should be taxed.  Conversely, if you use 1.5 million points and incur a tax liability what would be the value of claiming a trip on points as a tax deduction?  Perhaps I'm confused and that's not what you're asking about?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cash conversion value of Marriott points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...