6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2016 10:45 AM by pluto77 RSS

Family Holiday to Paris and London 2017 / 5-night Vacation Award

gdiamond Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just reached Platinum Status. I am planning to take my family, (wife, 2 girls, ages 12 & 10) to Paris and London during the Holidays next year 2017. We will be using two 5 night vacation awards (love the deal especially with the extra 10% from United) for the trip. We plan to fly into Paris and fly out of London. I would love to hear any advice about taking families across the pond and where to stay. We are comfortable with using the Tube and other public transportation and have been to London and Paris without the kids years back. While we will have enough points for 2 Category 9 awards, I would love to hear opinions on places to stay with kids that are not necessarily Cat 9 in Paris and London. Or if we are going to do a Cat 9 - which one is a must for families? Thanks for any advice you may have for us.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France
London, England
  • Re: Family Holiday to Paris and London 2017 / 5-night Vacation Award
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Congrats on reaching Platinum, gdiamond - that's so exciting! You chose some great cities to celebrate the holidays in. Paris is one of my favorite cities, I'd love to experience it during that time of year. Interested to hear what recommendations the other Insiders have in regards to property options!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gdiamond,

Congratulations on your upcoming trip and Platinum status!

May I suggest to start your research on your trip by reviewing previous MRI posts/pictures?

There are a lot of people here who can help you with details once you have some dates, desires and a rough budget in mind.  You can really make this a memorable trip with some flexible planning.

Snail5930 Gold

London Kensington marriott is a very good choice with children. Located on the Piccadilly line of the subway, and it is also very close to major museums. I think that at the moment this hotel is category 8.

mav Platinum

We were in Paris this September and stayed at the Marriott Champs Elysees for 10 nights. We LOVED the place, the location, staff,etc. There was no lounge but we in no way cared about that.  We were given a very nice room upgrade, nice welcome gifts,  breakfast in the restaurant every morning which by the way was GREAT!  Love a breakfast buffet that has hummus. The breakfast room staff were fabulous!    I will say it gave me a thrill every time I stepped out of the hotel and right onto the Champs Elysees . Such a vibrant Ave!

Extremely good location, quick walk to the subway, and there is a Marks and Spencer about 2 blocks up on the corner. I can't be anywhere near a M& S and not go in . . We go to London at least once or twice a year but stay at other places so I can't comment on the Marriott Hotels in London.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi gdiamond,

jerrycoin is quite correct, much has been written here regarding staying in Paris.  Do a search and sort the results to show the most recent posts first. 

A couple of things to possibly consider...

• Not every hotel property in Paris (depending on availability) can accommodate rooms for four people.  When reserving, be sure to put the number of guests at 4 to one room.  You'll be surprised by the difference in results.  Also, some properties will allow you to book a larger room (that will accommodate 4 guests) on points, but will charge a cash supplement for the larger room upgrade.  The platinum reservation line may be able to help, if you don't see anything available online that meets your needs.
    • Don't wait to book your rooms on points!, especially if staying during summer school break.  Point stays fill up fast in these two very popular cities.
    • I've gone high as well as lower, budget wise with Paris Marriotts.  The Champs Elysées is truly marvelous, as @mav writes, but also, less expensive properties like Rive Gauche (I think cat. 7?), can do the job nicely as well, with potential suite upgrades, decent lounge and fabulous restaurant breakfast spread on weekends. The property is within walking distance to the  métro at Denfert-Rochereau and just a couple of stops from I'le de la Cité.  Also easy access to Orly airport.
    • For activities, Jardin du Luxembourg truly has fun stuff for kids of all ages, wooden boats, horses, go karts and much, much more. Watching pétanque is fun and interesting.  Playing, even better.
    • L'Orangerie at Jardin Tuileries also has some interesting activities for school age kids.
    • lakeshore has done some Paris trips with kids, and may be able to add some ideas.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

American Painting in the 1930’s | Musée de l'Orangerie

ratp.fr - Paris Visite

Paris Visite Pass - Paris Metro Pass for Free Public Transport

Above are possibly some helpful links.  Also, and especially if you have boys and you're all up for a little climbing, climb the bell tower at Notre Dame. Up high, the kids can get up close and personal with the gargoyles. I think they'd totally get a kick out of that. The Paris Visite pass can help with the lines.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...