13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2016 5:46 PM by iahflyr RSS

Tipping Bad Service

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I went out for lunch today to a spot that I have not visited in some time, but love their Tacos so thought what better to do on the day after Christmas than have a great Taco at Yucatan Taco Stand.  Have had many good experiences at Yucatan and love their Pork Tacos, but today was completely different.  Yes the Pork Taco was excellent but the service was not.

Service, what service!!  I sat down at the bar and and waited for about 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged my presence.  Once the bartender Mike showed up he had absolutely no personality at all, no smile just a deadpan look.  I ordered a Chips n Salsa along with a Beer and lime, guess what they have no limes.  How does a Mexican joint not have limes???  This place is not even busy and it took 15 minutes before my Chips n Salsa arrived.  Then no napkins.....so once Mike finished his texting I asked for some napkins which he tossed my direction, very sorry to have bothered you Mike. 

After my Beer was finished I had planned on ordering the Pork Taco, but Mike was again no where to be found let alone to refresh my Beer.  Finally he surfaced again and I placed my order.  This place has never had rapid delivery of food ,but today they were so slow that another 20 minutes went by before I saw a Taco in front of me.  It is just silly that no food was coming out of the kitchen at all so it wasn't that the place was behind due to customers.  Once my food came my napkins had been taken away with the Chips so I had to ask again for napkins AND utensils.  Most places provide that when you are going to eat, but not Yucatan Taco Stand today or maybe it was just Mike. 

From Mike to the what I'm guessing was the Manger sitting across the bar staring into her laptop, they all lacked any type of enthusiasm so it all must stem from Management which certainly comes across as "we don't care".  There are far too many places to eat/drink near The Woodlands Waterway that have wonderful food and service for me to return to Yucatan anytime soon.  The tip reflected the service and I trust Mike understands that.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
  • Re: Tipping Bad Service
    nationwide Platinum

IAHFLYR, sounds like a bummer of a lunch!  I suspect you got the day after Christmas hangover service treatment... most people had today off, so those working were probably a little resentful or hungover themselves. 

That said, when you are in the service business, you'd best bring your smile and your attitude to work, or you are gonna starve!    

I always tip between 15-25%, unless the service is just deplorable (why is that word used so frequently these days)?  I figure everyone is entitled to have a rough, harried day, and I know I've been off my game a time or two. 

I figure if you extend a little grace, then hopefully karma brings some back your way from time to time.  Again, though, if it was really bad, I just won't leave a tip.  I will, however, ask to speak to the manager and provide him/her the feedback because they may not be aware.   If the manager isn't appreciative of me taking the time to politely share my experiences, I will not return under any circumstances.  There are too many great places to eat, sleep, and be merry to put up with institutionalized poor service.

As for the Yucatan itself, I've never been a huge fan.  Stand in line to order, then go sit and wait while the music blares too loud to talk.  I do like the outside tables (except in July through October) for obvious hotter than hades weather reasons.  I prefer Cyclone Anaya's right down the street.  Their salsa rocks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yes, their Salsa is pretty darn good alright, funny I thought of getting up and heading over there instead of dealing with Mikie.  Next time there will not be any need to think of heading over there as that's where I'll be!

nationwide Platinum

PS - the service at Cyclone's is outstanding!  I visited them on opening day, and it's been superb ever since.  Just saying, if I'm in the mood for a good beer, margarita, and Mexican food, that's where I'm headed. 

Mi Rancho by Home Depot is pretty darn good too and their service has always been spot on.

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

Are you really upset about the service or are you upset you even left a dollar at all ?

Service, service, service. all about service.

erc Platinum

At this time of year and season, virtually anyone associated with a Manger (don't you go editing your post and changing my joke ) would merit at least a 20% acknowledgement.

Now, the answer: knowing you like I do, I think laketahoe has nailed it. Anyone who tips 30% (and this often comes on the big ticket three figure meals) and is as friendly and generous as yourself, would be torn about sending a message. This shows in your carving out a measly $2.40 or less ($3.40 vs. $1) to protest - as the saying goes, "go big or go home", instead, you went partway and went home and hurts a nice, sensitive, thoughtful guy like yourself .

Take this free psychological session as a $100+ savings, label yourself a winner (everyone is today, w/trophies to prove it) and get on with your wonderful life; where you have a dynamic partner, who'll outlive you by a couple of decades, and who keeps that economic engine running, allowing you to play with the big boys - (and fly on them as well).

Happy holidays, your pal Dr. Erc

Pin Psychiatry Jokes Cartoons on Pinterest

LOL, your some kind of Doc, yes you are.....but can I have a different color for the couch?

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

MY tipping practice first depends on size of the bill which to me relates to the amount of effort it took. So if I go out with my spouse and the bill is $300 ( would likely have included a nice bottle of wine) I tend to tip 15% while if the bill is say 50 I would tip a higher %. when not happy I try to figure was it the server of the restaurant. If restaurant would tip what I normally would do and write a negative review on trip advisor for the restaurant . Iahflyr in this case to me you did the right thing.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am thinking that in this case, a penny would've sent a stronger message.

nationwide Platinum

I agree with pluto77.  When I go high, or low, on a tip I will often add a single penny to make a point.  I was always taught that a large tip plus a penny was a clear message for exceptional service.  On the contrary, a single penny on a poor or non-existent tip conveys the message that your service was extremely poor.  It also indicates that you very thoughtfully considered the tip.  You didn't simply forget or go cheap.

I cannot remember the last time I left noting for bad service, always want them to know I did not forget as you mention. 

It was much easier to add $1 rather than $.01 to the bill.   Heck I should go back in and ask for my change of the difference, now we're on to something.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

There is no excuse for that sort of service,

I have a sliding scale for service.

15%  for minimally acceptable.

18 % for excellent service

20-22% for really exceptional.

Really bad service gets 10% or maybe even zero for extraordinarily bad.

Any time I tip less than 15% I make a mental note of the shortfall and add that to the tip for the next really great server.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...