8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2017 5:23 PM by mapleleafmonkey RSS

Any Insiders Buy Starwood Points Up To 50% Off?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I found this on Loyalty Lobby yesterday then got an email from SPG this morning regarding their 25%-50% off the price of purchasing SPG Points.

LAST CALL: SPG Buy & Gift Starpoints At Up To 50% Off Mystery Bonus Until December 31, 2016 (Can Convert To Marriott Rewards) | LoyaltyLobby

Curious if any Insiders have thought of doing this or have already done so and what your percentage off was as it is a mystery promotion? 

I was going to and still may make the purchase of points however; my percentage off was only 25% so I kind of stopped in my tracks.  But the opportunity to make the discounted purchase then transfer to Marriott Rewards at 3 to 1 does keep my interest.

What do others of you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any Insiders Buy Starwood Points Up To 50% Off?
    trevfour Platinum

HI IAHFLYR, yes I bought the maximum of 30,000 at a 35% discount for $682.50. I took the view that if converted to 90,000 MR points, I was getting 40,000 MR points for $57.50. This assumes the alternative is buying the maximum 50,000 MR points for $625. A few extra points of course by purchasing using the MR credit card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It would be nice to know how one is targeted for what percentage of the discount.  Guess that's another of the "Marriott Matrix" now SPGMarriott Matrix!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi IAHFLYR.  We are buying 5,000 at 35% because we are just a few thousand points short of a 20,000 SPG increment for transferring to Virgin America to get another 25,000 miles that will become 32,500 Alaska miles.  We are transferring everything we can from Marriott to SPG, to Virgin America, to Alaska, for nice Business and First Class International Flights on Alaska Rewards partners.  This has a deadline for Jan 6 before SPG drops Virgin America from it's choices, due to the Alaska/Virgin merger.

You're always staying a step ahead with these promos tryt53 and that's quite a bit of transferring you will be completing before 1/6/17.  SPG wasted no time in removing Virgin now did they?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

No, they are making as fast as change as possible.  Probably because the Virgin/Alaska merge is moving along so quickly now.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

It's a good promo especially for those who might be short on points and/or want to buy back their status for 2017.  Keep in mind that Starwood Points converted to Marriott Points do not count towards lifetime status.

mapleleafmonkey Gold

Hi there.

I found an elite buy back promo by google searching online.  I don't have the promo in my promo list and the promo doesn't have any active links for me to click to take advantage of the promo.  Do you have to QUALIFY for the buy back promotion?  I have more than enough points to participate in the buy back, but can't seem to do it with the promo I found online.    https://www.marriott.com/marriott/elitebuyback.mi

mustanggt Platinum

This is the first I'm hearing about this promotion.  I assume it was a targeted promotion!?!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...