3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2016 3:16 PM by pingreeman RSS

Using points + cash upgrade ?

farmraised1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Started trying to plan a trip to NYC today for my wife's birthday .  I was looking at the Barrymore suite at the Algonquin hotel near Times Square.  The cash price for the room was $699.  The points plus cash upgrade was 45000 points/night + $750 cash?????.

I called the platinum service line for help and the agent was as confused as me, and could not offer any help other than to call the hotel directly and ask them.  So I did, and after a long time on hold I was told that the normal room rate was $1200 and the $699 was a discount. That still didn't explain the +$750 cost when using points.

I checked a lot of other dates and the most I saw for the cash price was $750/night.

The 45,000/night point only stay will get you a $350/night queen room.  So shouldn't the cost with the cash upgrade be $350 from $699. 

This sounds like total BS to me.  Why doesn't Marriott check their affiliates to make sure they are not screwing Marriott rewards loyalty members?  Any thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using points + cash upgrade ?
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi farmraised1,

Thank you for the post, and sorry to hear you were not able to receive an explanation from calling the Platinum line or the hotel. We've gone ahead and asked our team to look into this and will let you know as soon as we hear back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

starryeyedwonder Platinum

I appreciated your comment.  I noticed the same situation when comparing the cash and points offerings at several locations.  I think that the concept does serve a need, but the points plus cash "deals" seems to be way too expensive.  It seems to be a better savings to use cash on a deal or MR rate than to use up points for very little benefit.  I would love to use this program to extend my points, but in real life, probably will not for the same reason that you noticed. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

My instincts tell me that franchised locations are most likely to have the points+cash, primarily to cover the "losses" of cash-equivalent payment (reimbursement to the venue for points) when points are used exclusively.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...