4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2016 5:51 PM by seatexan RSS

Chile - Santiago - American Airlines #226 Emergency Landing - 20 Dec 2016

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Chile - Santiago - American Airlines #226 Emergency Landing - 20 Dec 2016

NOT A GREAT START FOR THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS. WE WERE LUCKY THAT IT DID NOT TURN OUT TO BE A MORE SERIOUS EVENT. WITH ALL THE TRAVEL WE DO, WE HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE.

My Wife and I were on American Airlines flight #226 (Business Class) on the 11:30PM flight. At takeoff, the smoke alarm went off for several minutes due to smoke coming in from the back of the plane. The plane immediately turned around and made an emergency landing. We were back on the ground after about 10 to 15 minutes on the plane. The passengers remained on the plane for the next several hours where they finally decided to deplane the passengers. It was not a pleasant experience on the ground as you can imagine the confusion by American airline staff with a nearly full plane and dealing with very unhappy customers. My wife and I finally got handled and were sent to the Hilton Garden Inn at around 4:00am on 21 December 2016. We were very disgruntled with the way were handled and eventually got confirmed on an American Airline Flight First Class this evening at 10:00PM. The videos below were taken with my I-Phone upon landing back in Santiago.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjSJtEIX1AtBjDB2ssyggFINRqw0U2rpG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santiago, Chile
  • Re: Chile - Santiago - American Airlines #226 Emergency Landing - 20 Dec 2016
    monisame Platinum

I saw the video . What a moment  !!! I’m sorry to hear that. Safe travels as you return home

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jasper100,

Sorry to learn of you experience the other night, hope your flight home tonight is much less uneventful. 

I'm right there with you on the amount of travel and being more fortunate to have not experienced many if any emergency landings as air travel is so very safe as you know.  Did you ever learn what the cause of the smoke was? 

Seems quite strange they kept you on the plane that long.  I know from being in the tower when an emergency landing this takes place and there is no immintent danger to keeping the passengers onboard, the Pilots and Flight Attendants want the emergency crews to examine outside the plane in situations like this before starting an evacuation to make sure no fire is in an area where the passengers would evacuate.  But two hours seems quite excessive and wonder how much of it may have been due to being in Chile and following their protocol?

Regardless, good news is you guys are safe and safe travels home.

seatexan Platinum

Oh my gosh! I would have been sick, or at least felt REALLY sick if there was an emergency.  You are right, could have been far worse.  A few hours is such a long time to be stuck on a plane and at a very late hour!!!  An hour after an emergency landing would be my limit, can't image 2 or more.  You all must have been exhausted.

I am glad you all at least got 1st class on the way back.  And so happy you all are SAFE.

I hope it's smooth flying. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...