3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2016 3:15 PM by carat RSS

Is transferring points from SPG to Marriott a Qualifying Activity?

chcummings Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My wife has above 1,700 Marriott points, but about 45,000 SPG points. There is a post in Flyertalk that someone transferred their SPG points to Marriott, and then all the points (including the SPG points that were transferred in) expired a week later. How does this work in practice? If after 12 months my wife Marriott points expire since her last qualifying activity was 12 months ago, if she then transfers all of her SPG points to Marriott, are they good for 24 months. On the flip side, if she transfers all the SPG points to Marriott now, would the SPG points also expire in 12 months as happened in the case of the person in Flyertalk. That story made me nervous!     

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is transferring points from SPG to Marriott a Qualifying Activity?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi chcummings.  Transferring points from your SPG account to your Rewards account and vice versa will not count as qualifying activity on your accounts. Below you will find a list of qualifying activity to keep your Rewards account active, you can find out more here: Read Marriott Rewards Points Expiration Guidelines

Earn or redeem points at least once every 2 years to stay active and retain your points

Membership comes with many benefits, including the most flexibility of any program in the industry. To retain your points, keep your account active by doing one of the following at least once every two years:

Hope this helps, but please feel free to reach out should you have any questions about the above.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chcummings Silver

carat Thanks for the response. I think this is going to confuse lots of people. People that are active SPG Members can suddenly have the Marriott points expire immediately if there was no activity in the Marriott account. I get that this is the T&C, but this doesn't seem to be well thought through.

Am I reading this right, an active SPG account doesn't mean an active Marriott rewards account which could lead to immediate expiration of points that are transferred from SPG to Marriott?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, chcummings.  You are correct, an active SPG account does not ensure an active Rewards account.  To make sure you will not lose points in either account, you must keep each account active.  For SPG, members will need one qualifying activity every 12 months to keep their account active, whereas with Marriott, members have 24 months.  Each program has different requirements for keeping accounts active, for the SPG requirements, please check out:  Do Starpoints expire?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...