0 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2016 8:47 PM by clebert RSS

Does Marriott match SPG status for 2017?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So, I got a mysterious text from SPG yesterday.  It said:  Congratulations, you've just renewed your Platinum Status.

I only have 5 nights credited for SPG this year, so I didn't earn the renewal by staying there.  I also don't have enough stays at Marriott to renew my platinum status unless Marriott gives me a freebie for coming close to platinum (this has happened before but I'm probably not close enough this year).

I called SPG for an unrelated reason today as I needed to see if I could get a platinum override for a sold out night at the Phoenician (I could not;  SPG does offer this program, but the Phoenician does not participate).

I asked the agent why I got a text renewing my SPG Platinum when I hadn't stayed enough nights at SPG in 2016.  He said the SPG program guarantees your status for at least 12 months, so since I linked the accounts only a couple of months ago, I was entitled to SPG platinum for 12 months after the accounts linked.  Thus, the renewal.

I think my renewal at SPG will now give me an automatic status match at Marriott even though I won't have 75 nights by Dec. 31, aside from whether Marriott gives me a freebie this year.

Does this sound right?

I'd sure like to renew my MR platinum without spending the 40,000 points (or whatever they charge to renew with points).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...