4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2010 9:51 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Short Stay Exchange-More Value for MVC Owners

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/images/hdr_resort_12.jpg

Good news, new options and more value from your Marriott  timeshare.  In response to feedback from Marriott Vacation Club owners, Marriott's timeshare exchange partner, Interval International recently launched a new program, Short Stay Exchange.  The good news is that owners are eligible to exchange 1 week of timeshare deposited with Interval International for two vacations with a duration of 2 nights minimum to 6 nights maximum. What does this mean?  Very simply, you can exchange 7 nights for up to 12 nights!  According to Marriott Owner Services, all nights reserved at a Marriott Vacation Club are also are eligible as Elite Qualifying Nights.  See the FAQ's below for additional details about the mechanics of exchanging or point your browser to Short Stay Exchange

ShortStay ExchangeSM FAQ’s

Q. What is ShortStay Exchange?

• The ShortStay Exchange Program is a benefit of the Interval Gold® program that allows members to exchange one week of accommodations for two vacations of 2- to 6-night stays. Members who own points may make as many ShortStay Exchanges as their available points allow.

Q.How much will it cost?

• The applicable online domestic exchange fee will apply regardless of the number of nights selected. A fee is required for each confirmed ShortStay Exchange.

Q.Who can book a ShortStay Exchange?

• Any Interval Gold member with a Home Resort unit week (or the equivalent in points currency) available for exchange.

Q. Are ShortStay Exchanges refundable?

• All ShortStay Exchange confirmations are final transactions and non-refundable.  Interval International’s Exchange Cancellation Policy does not apply to the ShortStay Exchange Program.

Q. What unit size can I trade for?

• A unit with private sleeping capacity that is equal to or less than the private sleeping capacity of the unit deposited.

Q. How far in advance will ShortStay Exchange inventory become available?

• The majority of ShortStay Exchange inventory will be available within 30 days of check-in; however, every so often, there may be inventory available up to one year in advance of occupancy. Inventory is always changing, so please check back often.

Q. How do I book a ShortStay Exchange?

• ShortStay Exchanges can only be booked online at IntervalWorld.com.

Q. How do I make a ShortStay Exchange confirmation online?

• Simple instructions are provided to guide you through the entire process. Your first step will be to deposit a unit week from your Home Resort, or to select an existing deposit to redeem. Next, select a destination and the number of nights you'd like to travel (2 nights minimum; 6 nights maximum). Your search will bring up a selection of available resorts from which you can instantly select and confirm a ShortStay Exchange. You'll receive a confirmation number after submitting your payment details.

Q. What will happen to the other half of my Home Resort week?

• The other half of your Home Resort week will remain on deposit and available in your account for another ShortStay Exchange vacation. The expiration date of the original deposit applies to the remaining portion of the deposit.

Q. Can I extend the remaining portion of my deposit in the ShortStay Exchange Program?

• No, deposit extensions are not available in the ShortStay Exchange Program.

Q. Can I use a previously deposited week for the ShortStay Exchange Program?

• Yes, any unredeemed deposit can be used for ShortStay Exchanges.

Q. Can I place a pending request for a ShortStay Exchange?

• No, pending requests cannot be accepted for ShortStay Exchange.

Q. Can I place a temporary hold on available ShortStay Exchange inventory?

• The ShortStay Exchange Program is designed to provide instant confirmations, and therefore temporary holds cannot be honored.

Q. Can I use a Resort Accommodations Certificate/Bonus Week for ShortStay Exchange?

• Resort Accommodations Certificates/Bonus Weeks may not be redeemed for ShortStay Exchanges.

Q. How many nights can I stay during a ShortStay Exchange?

• A minimum of 2 consecutive nights to a maximum of 6 consecutive nights (based on availability). For exchanges longer than 6 nights, go to the Exchange tab to complete a full-week exchange.

Q. Does the available minimum length-of-stay vary?

• Yes, the minimum number of nights a resort is available depends on the resort you select and the check-in date requested.

Q. How will a resort's check-in/check-out schedule impact availability?

• Most resorts have check-in on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays; it is unlikely you will find a five-day stay that begins on a Wednesday or Thursday. To experience a greater rate of success, request a weekend check-in date for your ShortStay.

Q. Can I purchase a Guest Certificate to be used with ShortStay Exchange?

• Yes, a Guest Certificate can be purchased and used for a ShortStay Exchange.

Q. Can I purchase insurance for my ShortStay Exchange?

• Yes, travel insurance* can be purchased and is recommended.

Q. What if I need to cancel my ShortStay Exchange once confirmed?

• If you need to cancel a reservation, contact 1.866.627.4310 in the U.S., or your local Customer Service office during regular business hours for assistance.

*Insurance benefits vary by country of residency.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Short Stay Exchange-More Value for MVC Owners
    mcwgold Platinum

I have yet to try the short stay exchange -- because I'm not sure it is a good deal -- consider these items:

it's nonchangeable or refundable

If you don't get a suitable exchange for the other part of your

short stay within a given time (a year I think )you lose it.

Each portion costs a full II exchange fee...so if you are doing a

5 night stay and a 2 night stay -- you take a risk -- PLUS you

pay $109 or $139 twice....sometimes with the MOD (Marriot Owner's discount) you can get a 2 night stay for that amount..

so why not just use your one week's stay for the 5 days..and pick up a 2 night "special" for the other...it's easier and less risk..

when II makes it more desireable..then maybe I'll try it -- I can't imagine the hype for something that's more expensive than it should be (and risky -- unless you know there will be partial weeks out there to trade into)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

mcwgold:

"sometimes with the MOD (Marriot Owner's discount) you can get a 2 night stay for that amount.."

Thanks for the reminder about the MOD.  My wife and I prefer to reserve back-to-back weeks which gets the biggest bang out of the airfare.  For example, last year we spent the first week at Desert Springs I and the second week at Desert Springs II.  In order to get the best airfare inbound we arrived a day early and we used the MOD to secure the villa.  A few years back, we exchanged 2 of our MVC weeks to book Kaua'i and Maui back-to-back. 

With Short Stay Exchange, I like the idea of exchanging one week to get two 6-night short stays.  The Marriott Owner Discount rate potentially provides a great solution to bridge the nights to ensure the alignment of the check-in dates. In combination with the MOD,  Short Stays add the value of stretching 14 deeded nights into 24+ nights by stringing together 4 back-to-back 6-night short stays.

According to the FAQs, the unused portion of a Short Stay 'inherits' the expiration of the original week deposited.

mcwgold Platinum

Am I reading this right -- you can break your exchange week into two -- and get TWO 6 night short stays???I thought you exchanged for the same amt you put in -- e.g., a 5 night for a 5 night, and the remaining 2 nights for 2 nights...if this is true -- then short stay IS a deal...

THanks for the clarification

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/images/hdr_resort_5.jpg

You're reading it right!  There is added-value with Short Stay Exchanges.  Deposit 1 week (7 nights) with Interval International, you have the option to choose two Short-Stays from 2 - 6 nights each for a max of 12 nights.  That's a much better value than trading your week for Marriott Rewards points.

Considering the cost of 5 additional nights at a Marriott Owner Discount rate, the nominal fee to upgrade to Interval Gold plus the exchange fees for each exchange are minimal.  Plus, if the short-stays are at MVC properties (they do not have to be), all nights are eligible as Elite Qualifying Nights.

In Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, and South Carolina there are enough MVC resorts w/in driving radius to string together back-to-back Short Stays for an unforgettable family road-trip. 

In the Caribbean and Hawaii there are also enough resorts for a vacation with memorable short-stay island-hopping.  The MOD rate provides a very cost-effective solution to bridge check-in/check-out dates or use MR points at any Marriott hotel between resorts.

http://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/images/hdr_resort_15.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...