4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2017 11:19 AM by karineb RSS

Best beach vacation properties

karineb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I'M looking to go on vacation to a beachfront property in a sun destination with my family (2 kids) in the winter. I'm looking for a nice vacation property on the beach, with large rooms, preferably in the US (eg Florida) or Caribbean. Can anyone recommend anything? I usually travel on business so don't know the vacation properties. I want to use points. Looked at Atlantis in Bahamas since I have to go to Bahamas for work anyway but the resort is way too expensive, even after using tons of points. Cost is lots of points plus $5000 to $25000 for a room for a week. Anyone know anything about either Marriott or Sheraton properties they can recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Florida, USA
  • Re: Best beach vacation properties
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I checked on the Ocean Club, Bahamas, where we've stayed on several occasions, but I believe it has been damaged by recent hurricane, so you might check before heading to this island community.

Rather, I'd suggest the Oceana Palms, Singer Island, a few miles of Palm Beach, FL:

Singer Island - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

We stayed here using our Marriott Vacation Club "Destination Points", but you might find villa available either for fee/night, or perhaps utilizing Marriott Reward Points.

The other MVC property on Singer Island is "Ocean Pointe, within walking distance of Oceana Palms.

IMG_3060.JPG

There's also the beach-front, Marriott Hotel & Resort, just north of Oceana Palms, which is quite nice as well.

Fred

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi karineb,

There is a wonderful little spot on the Southwest Gulf Coast of Florida called Marco Island.  The Marco Island Hotels | Marco Island Marriott is lovely even though a renovation to turn it into a JW Resort is finishing up on the south end of the resort and the website says it will be a JW in January 2017..  The beach is huge and the temperatures in the winter are usually among the highest in the U.S., upper 70's to low/mid 80's.  I know clebert has been to the resort in recent months so he'll chime in with some thoughts about it as well.

You can access Marco Island from Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) located in S. Ft. Myers.  It is about a 45 minute drive south on I-75 and HWY 951 to the resort.  RSW has a good number of non-stop flights from all over the place so getting there should be easy.

Also along the Gulf Coast you have Ft. Myers and Naples which are slight farther north than Marco Island yet similar weather and beaches.  Naples is a little more ritzy with lots of shopping and luxury hotels on the beach such as two Ritz hotels while Ft. Myers does not have any Marriott properties on the beach, but Sanibel Island Hotel and Resort | Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa is located next to the Causeway to Sanibel and Captiva Islands both which have gorgeous beaches.

If you look to the right of this in blue you'll see "More Like This" which probably will give you some good ideas as well and then you can always search for threads of U.S. beach spots as well.  Hope this gives you some spots in the U.S. to ponder and I'm sure other Insiders will provide much information as well.  Keep us informed of your thoughts and questions, welcome to Insiders.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Yep, I was there earlier this month and will be there later this month.  The Marriott Marco Island is a fantastic resort and definitely much more upscale than you'd expect from the Marriott flagship brand.  So it is a no brainer for them to rebrand as a JW.  Right now the lobby, restaurants, and guest rooms towers have been renovated and the official rebranding is set for January 1, 2017.  But there is still construction on the property as they are adding a new convention center which is not going to be completed until Spring 2017.  I don't think the construction would have too bad an impact on the resort as it's off to the side and not in the middle of the guest portion of the resort.    Marco Island Florida JW Marriott Beach Resort Hotel, Spa & Golf Marco Island, Fl  As a side note, the MVCI on Marco (Crystal Shores) is also undergoing a huge expansion, the Hilton on Marco is closed for a complete remodel, and the Marco Beach Ocean Resort is being remodeled as well.  So there is a ton of money being poured into the hospitality industry on the island.  Even though it sounds chaotic and not relaxing, the impact to tourism is being really well managed, and the beach there is so large and expansive it is still very calm and peaceful.  If you get there, the Marco Beach Ocean Resort has a wonderful restaurant called Sale e Pepe with a beachfront patio.  It's upscale Italian and a must-do if you like fine dining (sorry Marriott!)   Sale e Pepe | Fine Italian Restaurant in Marco Island, Florida

karineb Platinum

Thank you all for all these wonderful suggestions. I'm looking into theme and will keep you posted

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...