3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2016 2:04 PM by laxbash RSS

Cancun - JW or Casa Magna??

starryeyedwonder Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Read with interest all of the 250 entries regarding Cancun,  Then realized that only 15 or so are current, 2016.  So would some of you who have visited Cancun within the last year share your insights?  Are there any platinum perks for either resort?  Free breakfast,? lounge access? or point compensation?  Places to visit?  things to do?  Best restaurants?

We are thinking about going at the end of February.  We haven't traveled much and am really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks so much for your guidance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cancun, Mexico
JW
Casa magna
  • Re: Cancun - JW or Casa Magna??
    kumaraswamy Platinum

Hi,

Me and my wife are going to cancun from dec 17 - 21 and we chose casamagna for our stay as it was in our budget.

Since it is a resort it does not offer free breakfast or lounge access (i dont think it has a lounge).

There are some packages which offer breakfast for members, free round trip transportation from airport, 25% discount on all food.

I emailed the concierge about the platinum benefits and got a reply about the below benefits:

As a valued platinum elite member you will receive the following benefits during your stay.

• 10% discount on gift shop  (except liquor, pharmacy, cigarettes, magazines, postcards and stamps)
    • 15% discount on spa (minimum 50 minutes, does not apply in packages or other promotion)
    • 15% discount on breakfast buffet
    • Free enhanced internet

The concierge has been extremely helpful with all my questions and even arranged a vegetarian menu for my wife for a romantic private dinner as the regular menu did not have much vegetarian options.

A day trip to chichen itza was highly recommended and i booked it via viator which includes pick up and drop off at the hotel as well - which comes in handy as i am not renting a car.

Will post my experience after the trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Even though it's been a few years there is no CL at either resort.  The JW has Club 91 which offers food throughout the day, but it comes with a up charge so you might want to check into that option if that appeals to your taste.

Get some information on a day trip to Isla Mujeres on a sailboat, awesome.

Chitchen Itza and the Mayan Ruins in Tulum, both in one day or separate.

Hope others will give you more updated information than what I have.

laxbash Platinum

I have stayed at both - We were at the JW last weekend - second time there, and the Casa Magna in between that.

The two hotels are reciprocal - connected and you can room charge if you want at either hotel.  Both have happy hours at the same time in the lobby bar, the pools are nicer at the JW, but again, you cna walk over and use it from Casa Magna. 

We did up charge to club 91.  It is a lounge nothing more.   Nice food presentations and the customer service was very good, but international lounges tend to be that way.  The bar is open from 6:00-10:00 every night,  if you like the lounges you may appreciate it, if the lounge is no big deal, then skip it.

We will go back, but for the price, we would stay at the Casa Magna next time - for some variety, and  because they are the same hotel.

As far as things to do - jump on the bus and go to the mall and shopping area...buses are easy good bars, restaurants and an easy way to spend some time.

Isla Mujeres is a must do - plan to spend the day - get a golf cart and enjoy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...