2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2010 12:45 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Amsterdam and Vienna

swimtaxi Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I'm travelling to Amsterdam and Vienna, along with my 15 year old daughter, in July. Looking for great restaurant recommendations (we appreciate the better, less touristy places) and ideas which are age and Hip Girl approved. Ie; shopping, the arts, must sees. Thanks in advance. I'm not much of a tourist. Rather do as the locals do. Also, any thoughts on travelling into Budapest from Vienna would be most welcome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amsterdam and Vienna
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

A few of the 'do not miss' sites from my list in Vienna:

Vienna Boys Choir at Sunday Mass at the Chapel of the Hofburg Palace (free... and you can stand in the vestibule to watch both the boys and the Mass on the overhead TVs, probably better than sitting in the chapel since you can see both at once on the split screen TV.  Communion is served in the vestibule for those that can accept it.)

Lippanzaner horses at the Spanish Riding School (you can arrange for the show on Sunday following the Mass with the Vienna Choir Boys. if they are performing during your visit.. just a short walk around the other side of the Palace)

Hofburg Apartments and Treasury

St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)

Vienna Opera House tour

Mozarthaus

The Hapsburg Crypts

Kunst Museum

A day trip to the Abbey at Melk (there is a train/boat combo ticket available) is absolutely wonderful from Vienna!  The abbey is stunning... just the library and 'chapel' alone will be OMG!!!! moments.  Highly recommended!  Your jaws will truly hit the ground!

I took a day tour from Vienna to Budapest... but brought along my luggage since I was staying 5 nights there.  It was a 8 seater mini-van and the driver put my luggage in the back of the van.  We arrived in Budapest, did the tour of the sites, and then the driver parked at my hotel (Marriott) so the other tour members could go have lunch, sitesee on their own, etc. for a few hours before returning to Vienna.  I took my luggage from the van and checked into my hotel.  The cost was about the same for 1 person to taxi to the train from hotel in Vienna, take train from Vienna to Budapest, and taxi from Budapest train station to Marriott (@ 100 euros).  The cost was worth it to me... got the transportation I wanted from/to hotels, didn't have to lug luggage onto/off of train w/ steep steps, and... got a tour of Budapest thrown in!

You can also easily take the train from Vienna to Budapest, if you prefer.  

I just found, being a solo traveler, the tour was easier than with the luggage on trains. (yes... I'm trying to be a light traveler but apparently haven't mastered it yet!)

Have a wonderful trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amsterdam and Vienna
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Swimtaxi,

If you are staying at the Ren, here are a couple of places you can walk to!

The little pastry shop is on the walk to Anne Frank's place, and is very good.  The other place is a very inexpensive (10 Eu) dinner place, for three courses of wood grilled food.  We really enjoyed the food and the prices at Madre Maria.

Be careful, especially around the train stations, when your daughter and you are traveling.  Likewise, be just as careful exchanging money.

Do have a great time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...